(Completely OT !!) Can Anyone Help Me With My Modem?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Hypomixolydian

(Completely OT !!) Can Anyone Help Me With My Modem?

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:22 pm

Hi,

I know this is probably completely OT, but I thought I would give it a go.

I had to get myself a new modem as my old one stuffed up on me. I used to have an Alcatel 330 USB modem but now I have a Speedtouch 546 modem which is basically a multi PC connection modem/router which connects via a network card and not usb.

Previously, I could see with my old one when I was online and also see what my speed was (via my taskbar), plus I had an Icon on my desktop. However, now I don't seem to have that option. I seem to automatically go online when I power up the PC and there is no way to see if I am online nor can I see what my speed is. I don't want to always connect to internet when I am using my PC. I don't see how I can go on/off line when I choose to. Can anyone help?

I hope it's clear what I am trying to say and I apologise for this being totally OT. I realise that I can ask support help from my ISP, but it means waiting a couple of days and I want to know ASAP.

Thanks

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:57 am

Basically what I am trying to say is my PC goes online as soon as I switch it on and I don't want to always go online. I would like the option of choosing when I want to go online or not. Or is this standard with LAN/Ethernet Modems?

Liam

Post by Liam » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:17 am

Check the CD that came with the modem for Help?

Go into Device Manager and check the Properties of the modem. Look in all the tabs / options.

Surely there will be an option to disable automatic dialling.

Also check Internet Options (Control Panel) and make sure you disable (uncheck) the Always Dial a Connection option.

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:54 am

Thanks for your reply Liam, but there is no device in Device Manager specifying my modem. The only information I have regarding my connection is in:
CONTROL PANEL>NETWORK CONNECTIONS>LOCAL AREA CONNECTION

The only thing it tells me is whether I am connected or not. Nothing regarding options to disable automatic dialling. The only thing I can do is enable or disable the connection, nothing else. And another thing that annoys me is that I don't seem to be able to connect for online gaming anymore like I used to with my USB Modem. Is this normal behaviour?

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:05 am

If you have a cable modem or ADSL - it is always on, thats how they tend to work - by making you a node of a WAN (world area network) of your ISP

You could drag a shortcut of your LAN connection to your desktop. when you want to disable it - right click and select 'disable'.

to enable - right click and select 're-engage-ification-i-fy' , or if that isn't available 'enable'

not sure if that method might suit you?

personally I am always online, doesn't phase me. the occaisional DHCP ping over a lan isn't going to kill my CPU. I have a software firewall that takes about 0.5% cpu that I use to "block all" if I need to take the "phone off the hook". Failing that my cablemodem has a big power switch!

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:10 am

Thanks Angstrom for your response! I didn't realise that LAN connection was always on. I have created a shortcut of my LAN connection to my desktop to enable my connection ON or disable for OFF. I guess that will have to do. I was so used to my USB connection where I had the luxury of switching internet on/off when I chose to. Instead it is connected automatically whenever I switch my PC on.
But what annoys me is that I don't see what my connection speed is anymore nor can I play online games (though I have read somewhere that I have to allow certain ports access in order to play games- but I haven't figured out how to do this yet).
Though what will be nice is having more than one PC connected now.

dannyk

Post by dannyk » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:18 pm

Go to control panel > Network Connections.

Right-click your LAN connection and choose properties.

Now check the box 'show icon in notification area when connected'

if you hover over that icon on your taskbar itll tell you your connection speed. plus you can connect/disconnect from there by right-clicking.

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:48 pm

Thanks Dannyk for your tip!! It is much more convenient now!! Though I still don't see my connection speed. All it shows is the speed of my LAN which says 100Mbps and not my actual internet speed which should be about 6.1Mbps. So how can I find that out?

Thanks

dannyk

Post by dannyk » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:23 pm

hmmm... mine tells me my actual connection speed, but at work i only get the speed of my ethernet connection. i think it might depend on your ISP. But try double clicking on the icon and seeing what comes up.

louZ

Post by louZ » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:38 pm

does it really matter to know the speed?

you could always use an online speedtest, though it is less convinient.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:53 pm

dannyk wrote:Go to control panel > Network Connections.

Right-click your LAN connection and choose properties.

Now check the box 'show icon in notification area when connected'

if you hover over that icon on your taskbar itll tell you your connection speed. plus you can connect/disconnect from there by right-clicking.
the trouble with that is in the "show icon when connected" , when you disconnect he icon will disapear!
so that's why I suggested dragging an icon to the desktop - otherwise you have to go rummage in the network thing again.

Hypomixolydian

Post by Hypomixolydian » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:59 pm

louZ wrote:does it really matter to know the speed?

Yes I need to know my speed to make sure I am getting what I paid for. I tried an online speed test and according to that, I have less than half the speed I should be entitled to. I don't know how accurate these online speed tests are though.

Yes Angstrom, the icon disapears when I disconnect. I have enabled both methods though. I use a shortcut on my desktop and the thing Dannyk suggested.

I still can't yet figure out how to play my online games though.

louZ

Post by louZ » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:37 pm

Astral Fridge Magnet wrote:
louZ wrote:does it really matter to know the speed?

Yes I need to know my speed to make sure I am getting what I paid for. I tried an online speed test and according to that, I have less than half the speed I should be entitled to. I don't know how accurate these online speed tests are though.
The actual speed is never the same as the theoretical speed. Loads of factors come in to play, like:

- with DSL the distance from your house to the neighbourhoodcentral
- with cable how many users are online in your neighbourhood loop
- the traffic on the internet
- the traffic on the server
- your computer configuration: wether your firewall is running, if there's spyware on the system etc.

Internet Providers never guarantee the maximum, advertised speed (at least not where I come from). Less than half the advertised speed is a big difference though. If the DSL speed is lower than 80% of the maximum speed I would contact the provider. They can measure the line and see what the real speed is.