recording thru VSTs

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mimesis

recording thru VSTs

Post by mimesis » Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:41 am

I am recording some real loud screaming vocals.. with a PPA 2UBE thru the MOTU 828... and I am getting serious clipping. I want to run the vocals through a VST compressor FIRST (so that what is recorded is already compressed) is this possible???

Thanks in advance-

mimesis

Harb, you out there?

Post by mimesis » Fri Jul 25, 2003 6:05 pm

I mean- doesn't anyone else want to do this? Help a fello Ableton user out!!

solovox

Post by solovox » Fri Jul 25, 2003 7:41 pm

As long as the VST is on the track channel that you have armed, it should be recorded as you record the clip.

It would still be easier, however, to record vocals and other tracks in a regular Audio/MIDI sequencer like Logic, Cubase, DP, ProTools, etc.

Post by Guest » Sat Jul 26, 2003 1:30 pm

i'm pretty sure that live does not record incoming audio through (post) effects on that track. I just recorded a bass clip in Live with the auto filter on, and was playing with the auto-filter while recording. The clip as recorded has no auto filter on it. I've found this to be true across the board. It would be nice to be able to have the option (though if it was one or the other, i prefer the less permanent current config.). Test it out for yourself, you see what i mean.

Ryan

epilacs

Post by epilacs » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:02 pm

maybe record at a lower volume to reduce clipping then apply effects/volumechanges etc postrecording.

best...
william

mimesis

Post by mimesis » Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:22 pm

yeah ryan I agree. looks like I am going to have to get some analog equip. OR I can run it through my powerbook w/live/vst and record the output with live on my tower--- i am just aiming to do as much as possibe with software... and thanks william for the tips...