Korg Native Mode for abelton Live 5

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
djritual

Korg Native Mode for abelton Live 5

Post by djritual » Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:49 am

I have a Kontrol 49 from Korg which uses a midi mapping system called native mode. In Reason and Korg Legacy Collection and Logic 7, when the application is launched it automaticlly recognizes the controller and maps the faders and encoders plus the function Pads to the application it is written into the software. This is my wish it is not only for kontrol 49 but microkontrol also.

CopyRightJustice

Post by CopyRightJustice » Sun Nov 20, 2005 9:58 pm

me too

djritual

Native Mode For abelton

Post by djritual » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:50 am

I wonder if it is a propriety issue Digi doesn't like third Party Support either.
Which doesn't really matter cause the Kontrol 49 is easy to map and save as a Sceen. :roll:

CopyRightJustice

Post by CopyRightJustice » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:53 am

When you import a set into another the midi assingment are gone and need to be reassinged, a ball ache in a live situation?

djritual

Kontrol 49

Post by djritual » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:55 pm

I don't understand? you can save 16 Scenes in one set and load them by holding the scene button down and hitting a pad. So you could have 16 diffrent scenes of live and switch between them

The thing I run into is
that I have Reason 3.0 with the Korg Legacy Collection both run on Native mode so when I am working on an instrument it switches automatically depending on what application I am useing but when I want to control live's
faders and pans ect... I have to stop and load a Scene.

CopyRightJustice

Post by CopyRightJustice » Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:31 am

A poster has released an makie emulation for the microkontrol and bcf/bcr2000 the MK patch is supposed to work with kontrol 49(could not get it to work practically) sorry can't remember his name somthing like Namhil.

But then you will proberbly loose your native control in the other apps maybe you need a bcf as well just for Ableton more gear :roll:

I was well dissapointed when I found out that;

1 that the encoders on the K4 did not recieve updates or send reletive messages,
2 Ableton has no native support for K49 and imported sets do not retain their cc assignments.

My problem is that midi assignments are not kept when a set is imported into another,even if the kontrol has all the scenes peloaded I still have to go into midi learn in ableton to assign controllers.

There's a poll for K49 / MK native support someware on the forum.

Left wanting huh

djritual

Happy Holidays CRJ

Post by djritual » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:02 am

Wow I haven't experienced that as of yet although I haven't been using the mixer enough to even take the time to create a scene for it. Every thing I use has native Kontrol except for Arp 2600 software. I like Abelton, a friend turned me on to it two weeks ago and I am impressed with it so I don't want to just focus on the Native mode thing, I have been know to go on about my Korg stuff I have so many of there products I love them.

I must admit I am having a hard time deciding on which software to dedicate my time to I only have two hours a day, 3 days a week maybe to devote to learning new software, I have been a Digi user for a long time now and I must admit I am kind of stuck on it. One grip every one has always had with Digi is that the midi is not very good" Recent upgrades have significantly improved it" but I would still like to learn a midi front end.

I m an avid Mac user so I am being pulled toward Logic by my friends at Apple. One thing I was never comfortable with in Logic is the Environment window uhg I understand it I just don't like it. Environments take forever if you can't find a premade environment for your device and if you switch devices a lot it is a pain. Plus editing Audio in Logic is about as good as the midi in Protools they are both not good.
Compatibility with Digi is non-existent as far as files go and the interfaces as far as physical appearance goes is very stale in my opinion.

With that being said there are some strong points to Logic midi note editing is awesome, Performance with Mac is well - hey they own the company right. Logic 7 works with native mode "sweet" and the built in effects are really good and video syncing is easy.

Which brings me to Live; Clips are a juicy way of working my grandma could figure that out. Accessing Virtual instruments is sweet
Possibly the easiest of all applications out there. The midi effects and arps are possibly the best thing in the application, so easy to use.
The manual is dope, I would never stop my work to open a manual. The way that it is there all the time walking you through things is nice just short of talking to you. I haven’t used it yet but I understand you can do your audio editing in Protools and there is seamless integration? Nice but I am more interested in the midi right now.
So finally my new live friend CRJ maybe you could share your opinions on this.

So far I have found that midi note editing is not as easy as Logic,
I can’t get the midi note large enough and all the functions are not logically laid out. The manual as good as it is flaws on this one topic. Although maybe it’s me also it maybe because the screen view and tool bars are very bad in my opinion. I did not think it was possible to get an uglier interface than Logic but Abelton seems to have done just that. I understand that originally this application was designed for PC’s?
I have to keep changing the colors because it hurts my eyes. It’s not real you know. Digi is easy because it looks like a real mixer, Waveforms are bold and colorful and the background is neutral. Live is like a pastel nightmare. Anyone out there in Live land wanna chime in on me CRJ’s conversation and share their experiences with Live or throw some pointers Please feel free.

CRJ Man have Happy Holidays I will be traveling a lot till after the New Year but I will checking in to see what’s going on.

djritual “Everyday”