Flange problem

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jimbo

Flange problem

Post by Jimbo » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:54 pm

Hi all,

When using the flange effect, I find that it has the effect of signicantly boosting the volume of the clip that I am effecting...

Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing/avoiding this within the settings of the flange, rather than having to adjust the clip's volume on the fly?

Cheers,

J.

blastique

Post by blastique » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:16 pm

You could use it as an insert perhaps? (Insert the effect on the track/tracks in question)

I'm assuming that you're using it as a send at the moment, hence you're getting the original track combined with the flange fx return (which you have as a send)

-edit-
Assign a midi control to enable the flange effect for that track, and also assign a knob to the mix level of the effect (dry/wet).

That way, when you're about to flange the track, make sure your now-assigned mix level knob is all the way down, whack the now-assigned flange-enable button, then bring up the flange (dry/wet) as you see fit.
milehighsounds.com | blastique.com
Ableton Certified Trainer
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

mikHATz

Post by mikHATz » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:41 pm

You have to watch the feedback setting, its like any other effect when theres too much feedback its gonna boost/distort the signal. Make sure the feedback parameter is a little more mellow.

Mik

forge

Post by forge » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:22 am

sounds like you need a gynaecologist!

badam ching...

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:15 am

I'm already using it as an insert effect... guess I'll either have to play with the dry/wet or adjust the volume to compensate :(

Ah well...

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:22 am

A Compressor would help this.
If that is not desired, try turning the Dry-Wet a bit more to the dry side.
And watch the feedback!

The Flanger in Live is basically a comb filter, right? So the feedback roughly corresponds to the Q of a filter?