Laptop CPU Upgrade (Banias to Dothan)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
blastique

Laptop CPU Upgrade (Banias to Dothan)

Post by blastique » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:20 pm

Hi all,

How is everyone? My post is pretty much as the subject says. This is gonna be quite a long post, so apologies in advance!

My compaq presario 1090AP has a 1.6ghz centrino (Banias), 1x1gb and 1x256mb pc3200 ram, and most importantly, the chipset is Intel 855PM (400mhz system bus).

I plan on putting in a 2.0ghz Pentium M 760. Boxed, they go for roughly GBP220 (komplett.co.uk and inmac.co.uk) appear to sell them.

What I would like to know is if it would be a worthy upgrade, or if I should just stick with it as it is, and see what pops up in the near future? I'm not too concerned about the fact that I'm still stuck with a 400mhz bus (with 533mhz being used in more current centrino laptops - I bought mine around 2 years ago). One thing I know is that Pentium M performance scales beautifully per mhz, based on benchmarks anyway. From what I've read, (can't find the page atm, but when I find it, I'll post it), there's about a 6% actual performance benefit from the 533mhz bus, despite intels claims of, what was it, 30% increase? Anyhow, that kind of puts to rest the desire to just give up and sell this laptop, and get a new one. But I'm happy with how everything works just now, which is why I plan on just having the cpu upgraded.

I'm definately not planning on doing the installation on my own as that would definately be a bit of a sticky affair! The only company I have come across online is Totis.co.uk, who incidentaly also sell the cpu. I'm yet to hear back from them regarding the process, but I'm assuming it would be a "ship to base and we'll ship it back in 5 days" scenario. However, I would be more comfortable taking the laptop to somebody in person, and having it done on the spot. I'm currently in the London area. Is anybody aware of reputable stores/centres handling laptop cpu upgrades in the area?

Once again, sorry for the long long post, and thanks a bunch if you made it this far!
milehighsounds.com | blastique.com
Ableton Certified Trainer
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

blastique

Post by blastique » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:57 am

*bump*

I hate to be a pain, but can anybody help me? :oops:
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

linzatti

Post by linzatti » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:27 pm

The biggest "performance-gain" if you upgrade would be the increase of cache. If I remember correctly Dothan uses 1 - 2mb of L2 cache. While the Banias CPU uses 512kb - 1mb. However, as I have learned, the higher cache the lower speed of the buses actually shipping data back and forth from the cache.

Right now you have a 1,6 centrino and upgrading to a 2.0 centrino would give you a performance-boost. Also, I actually think you would benefit with more cache, since your RAM-setup and FSB are already at the same level as Dothan busses.

blastique

Post by blastique » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:40 pm

Hi Linzatti, thanks for the reply!

I just got a reply from www.totis.co.uk

I've been quoted £226.44 (incl Vat) for the 2.0Ghz Dothan, £45 for fitting the cpu, and £10 + Vat to return it back to me.

Does this sound reasonable to you? Or should I just "live" with my 1.6 for the next year or so?

I'm really not sure. Help!

hehe

no seriously, I am quite lost. I could definately use more juice, and while it would give that, I'm not really quite sure what could crop up next year, i mean, "dual core" centrino's are around the corner. With that in mind, this laptop would lose even more resale value once those are released now wouldn't it?
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Nov 28, 2005 6:46 pm

If it was my money I would set it aside and get the upgrade pc sooner instead. Dunno if that helps. I've got a 1.5ghz banian with 512 megs of ram.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

linzatti

Post by linzatti » Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:36 pm

If you are doubting to buy it, don´t do it... Sure you will get a performance boost, but we are not talking giant leaps here :). Around £250 for the CPU (incl VAT and fitting) sounds a bit pricey, if not a bit wastey if you are planning on upgrading in a year or so. The dualcore centrino is promised to deliver greater performance with longer battery-life. If I were you, I would save the cash, upgrading in a year or so.

blastique

Post by blastique » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:08 pm

Thanks a bunch fellas. You all made me feel heaps more at rest! :D

Ever since upgrading first my hard drive to 7k, then upping my ram, i'm on a frenzy! 8O

Any ideas as when we'll see dual core centrino lappies?
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

linzatti

Post by linzatti » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:14 pm

I have no idea :cry: ... My guesses however would be summer or early autumn 2006. Think they´ll cost quite a lot in their early stages though. :wink:

blastique

Post by blastique » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:18 pm

Basically, I should take a chill pill and save my money because I'll regret it as soon as they are launched! hehehe :D

(Ye old craving for more of the latest power!) :(
Malaysia

soundcloud.com/blastique

linzatti

Post by linzatti » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:33 pm

blastique wrote:Basically, I should take a chill pill and save my money because I'll regret it as soon as they are launched! hehehe :D

(Ye old craving for more of the latest power!) :(
Couldn´t have put it clearer myself! :wink: