traktor 3

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
john gordon

traktor 3

Post by john gordon » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:54 pm

http://www.native-instruments.com/index ... 9a80043feb
this looks awesome.i wish you could rewire it to live though.

rocdollar

Post by rocdollar » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:33 pm

Yeah Traktor is good - I use it a lot. Before 3 came out though I tried Ableton...Would be nice to use both tho. The main thing I miss when I use Ableton is multiple waveform displays (that reprazent what would be in each 'deck'). This allows you to anticipate and fix the beat grids on the fly visually

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:42 pm

Hey rocdollar, I just wanted to say I dig your dnb mixes. Very good stuff.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

adhmzaiusz

Post by adhmzaiusz » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:51 am

you havent seen nuthin' until youve seen it work with final scratch though. it blew my f*ckin mind when i saw it...my friend bought it within one hour of seeing it for the first time...

Sunburzt

Post by Sunburzt » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:01 am

i would rather go for virtualdj 3...with video and VST plugin support.

http://www.virtualdj.com/
*If it takes a thousand words to describe a picture,
it must take a thousand pictures to describe music...*

smutek

Post by smutek » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:06 am

I like traktor, I own 2.6 and usually use it for djing. But, I do not like native instruments. When I bought traktor I took me the entire weekend to get it working with my quattro - and the fix I found was a work around. Support was absolutely no help and a fix still has not been offered. BTW, its not just my soundcard, there seems to be a lot of people running Tiger who are having problems with m-audio soundcards and traktor 2.6. I experience no problems with the quattro using any other app.

There are also a lot of user documented, re-producable bugs in version 2 that simply were not fixed, and now there is a paid upgrade. So the people who have problems with version 2 can either upgrade or be stuck.

The same thing happened from version 1 to version 2. A lot of people on the NI forums were literally fuming about this. There is no way in hell I would pay to upgrade without trying the demo first, but the funny thing is that there will be no demo till sometime in December.

The company simply does not seem to listen to and definitely does not communicate with its user base, the online support sucks, and to me - the idea of a music store integrated into what is supposed to be a professional audio application is ridiculous and laughable.

I will probably try the demo, I am curious to see if this quattro issue has been worked out, but I have no plans to upgrade, even if I like traktor3.

NI is not the type of company I would like to support.

musick

Post by musick » Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:44 am

smutek wrote:I like traktor, I own 2.6 and usually use it for djing. But, I do not like native instruments. When I bought traktor I took me the entire weekend to get it working with my quattro - and the fix I found was a work around. Support was absolutely no help and a fix still has not been offered. BTW, its not just my soundcard, there seems to be a lot of people running Tiger who are having problems with m-audio soundcards and traktor 2.6. I experience no problems with the quattro using any other app.

There are also a lot of user documented, re-producable bugs in version 2 that simply were not fixed, and now there is a paid upgrade. So the people who have problems with version 2 can either upgrade or be stuck.

The same thing happened from version 1 to version 2. A lot of people on the NI forums were literally fuming about this. There is no way in hell I would pay to upgrade without trying the demo first, but the funny thing is that there will be no demo till sometime in December.

The company simply does not seem to listen to and definitely does not communicate with its user base, the online support sucks, and to me - the idea of a music store integrated into what is supposed to be a professional audio application is ridiculous and laughable.

I will probably try the demo, I am curious to see if this quattro issue has been worked out, but I have no plans to upgrade, even if I like traktor3.

NI is not the type of company I would like to support.
Go for Serato Scratch Live (SSL, http://scratchlive.net ) !

Stable program, excelent support, free updates!

dCross

Post by dCross » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:12 am

As creative DJing goes, the option of having up to 4 decks playing at once in Traktor is a great middle ground between bare-bones DJing and Ableton Live, no?

GK

Post by GK » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:14 am

if only ableton and the rest could LOOP as well as traktor does...
but then if only traktor could beatmatch perfectly:)
This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

HH the Dalai Lama

rocdollar

Post by rocdollar » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:16 am

Thanks Machinate! The last show I did was using Ableton instead of Traktor. Quite rough and ready but I can see the potential it has :)

It seems the 2 products are aimed at slightly different users. Traktor, with its hardware emulating metallic 'deck' style interface is more suited to migrating vinyl DJ's to digital. Which is also why its got Final Scratch etc.

Ableton on the other hand is more geared towards those already familiar with digital sequencers (and is perhaps not so DJ-friendly). Stripped down but colorful and functional interface that doesnt mess about with trying to emulate vinyl - just does the job.

Im torn between the two. Both have strengths and weaknesses so I might just have to upgrade anyway and use both together somehow. I just tend to prefer interfaces like Abletons that don't try and look like a real piece of hardware (unlike T3 trying to look like an A&H XONE:92).

JohnDP

Post by JohnDP » Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:20 am

Go for Serato Scratch Live (SSL, http://scratchlive.net ) !

Stable program, excelent support, free updates![/quote]

I second that. Really good support.

olafmol

Post by olafmol » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:46 am

i cannot get to terms with the traktor GUI .. i prefer the home-grown djdecks (www.djdecks.be) with it's support of all major timecode-vinyls, build-in temposynceable effects, looping, MIDI and VST support, skinneable, etc. only windows though,

The Benjamin

more re: traktor vs. live?

Post by The Benjamin » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:47 am

Rocdollar, think you could tell us more about what you see the strengths and weaknesses of Live and Traktor for DJing?

I'm asking because a friend of mine runs a bar and just told me I can DJ the Thurs night dance party if I want (and get paid!) and I think I'm going to go the mp3 route. I use Live for remixing/production, but have never used it as a DJ tool. And I've never used traktor at all.

[quote="rocdollar"]Thanks Machinate! The last show I did was using Ableton instead of Traktor. Quite rough and ready but I can see the potential it has :)

It seems the 2 products are aimed at slightly different users. Traktor, with its hardware emulating metallic 'deck' style interface is more suited to migrating vinyl DJ's to digital. Which is also why its got Final Scratch etc.

Ableton on the other hand is more geared towards those already familiar with digital sequencers (and is perhaps not so DJ-friendly). Stripped down but colorful and functional interface that doesnt mess about with trying to emulate vinyl - just does the job.

Im torn between the two. Both have strengths and weaknesses so I might just have to upgrade anyway and use both together somehow. I just tend to prefer interfaces like Abletons that don't try and look like a real piece of hardware (unlike T3 trying to look like an A&H XONE:92).[/quote]

rocdollar

Post by rocdollar » Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:02 am

I think the main problem with Ableton is that as far as I know (and I may be completely wrong) is that I could only ever see one clips waveform at a time. I tried selecting 2 clips in session view but instead of getting 2 waveforms in the clip display it just says "2 clips selected" with no waveform... This made it harder to anticipate when to bring the next tune in.

The only other thing was only being able to store one loop per clip, without saving as a different clip...In traktor you can store upto 10 different loops per track. This data is stored in the mp3 id3v2 tag. :?

With Traktor the waveform or 'stripe' is a valuable visual aid to remind me how the song is structured. I have come to rely on it a little because its hard to get know tunes inside out these days there are so many available... so during the live set, i was having to flick between clips to remind about the song, how long its intro was etc.

I really like the interface for Ableton though, but it doesnt 'feel' like a DJ tool (very much to me right now) unless I can at least see 2 stripes or 'decks' at the same time cos its a kind of visual mixing.

:?
Traktor and Ableton DNB mix archive...www.rocdollar.com

Sinjin

Post by Sinjin » Thu Dec 08, 2005 12:19 pm

[quote="smutek"]I like traktor, I own 2.6 and usually use it for djing. But, I do not like native instruments. When I bought traktor I took me the entire weekend to get it working with my quattro - and the fix I found was a work around.

heyyy..another quattro user...i thought i was the only one...

i guess its an OSX thing. im an xp user and have had a quattro and an ozone for years and no probs, really, with any app ive tried it with, incl. traktors 1-3 and live 2-5

admittedly some of these versions were only the demos, but its been consistent so far.
"I shoulda done the hat dance..."
http://www.myspace.com/ibsinjin - Where I posts my tunes