Grabbing and playing recorded loops

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Alex Reynolds

Grabbing and playing recorded loops

Post by Alex Reynolds » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:11 am

What is the easiest way to record clips, insert them into tracks on one MIDI trigger, and play them on another MIDI trigger, automatically? (Particularly interested in instructions using a specific combination of MIDI hardware and software, using Live 5 under Mac OS X.)

I can otherwise do these things manually but not in an automated fashion. Thanks in advance for advice.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:12 am

how many clips and tracks at the same time?

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:13 am

I'd like to turn on and turn off as many clips as my laptop will support. Let's say 4-8, which I think would be manageable?

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:18 am

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:21 am

Looks like Windows-only, but thanks.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:25 am

not sure if its compatible with live, but for os x look at http://www.keyboardmaestro.com/ and maybe use it in conjunction with midistroke from charlie roberts (http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/a ... troke.html)

amo

Post by amo » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:25 am

M. Reynolds is back, hi !

So you want to insert clips from the browser with a midi trigger ? Do I understand well ? I don't think that ispossible, at least as far as I know...
Then SJ leaded you well for launching sveral clips with ONE trigger.
Since assignations are cell related and not clip related, you could drop your clips in existing tracks with cells already asigned and that would work, though I'm afraid you would have to drop them manually....

Kind regards,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:29 am

amo wrote:M. Reynolds is back, hi !

So you want to insert clips from the browser with a midi trigger ? Do I understand well ? I don't think that ispossible, at least as far as I know...
Then SJ leaded you well for launching sveral clips with ONE trigger.
Since assignations are cell related and not clip related, you could drop your clips in existing tracks with cells already asigned and that would work, though I'm afraid you would have to drop them manually....

Kind regards,
amo
althought im pretty sure Alex is referring to the fact that because he cannot do any part of this using automated methods he needs to drop the clips into new tracks .. i think the idea of having more midi control with the browser is pretty important.. maybe some food for thought to discuss in the wishlist

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:29 am

Thanks sweetjesus, that may be just what I need. Will check that out. And thanks for the tip, amo.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:33 am

Alex Reynolds wrote:Thanks sweetjesus, that may be just what I need. Will check that out. And thanks for the tip, amo.

yeah amo got me thinking about some pretty interesting stuff..

p.s. no worries dude, good luck.

amo

Post by amo » Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:59 am

One more thing to add Alex: Have you upgraded to live5 ? I guess yes. Then are you aware that you can drag Live sets to existing tracks and thus have your six clips sitting in existing tracks with only one drag from the browser ?
Probably you knew it but just in case....
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2