Who's got Project 5 and Why aren't you Talking about....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mic-minimal

Who's got Project 5 and Why aren't you Talking about....

Post by Mic-minimal » Thu Aug 07, 2003 5:25 am

How good it works with Live, vsti wise that is. how do you like it , what don't you like?

dblondin

Post by dblondin » Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:09 pm

works great with Albeton. I wish that I could control all my external gear with it but the MIDI is very weakly supported [much like Reason]. I still don't think there is a good MIDI/VSTi solution that works with Live in a live performance situation. At least from what I've experienced.

d

mic-minimal

Post by mic-minimal » Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:23 pm

i see, but for gettin vstis into Live minus quality midi it's working fine for you?

Rx

Post by Rx » Sun Aug 10, 2003 2:13 am

One annoying thing with P5 is the click that occurs when you add or remove a synth. ANd yes, the midi is nominally better than Reason, and why why why can't the Synchron's output be sent to a track to be saved? That's ridiculous. Otherwise, it's the first decent vsti option.

Now if they could get rid of the hard-to-see green GUI touches...
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:30 pm

i got P5 just to run fruity loops studio 4 as a vsti inside p5 rewired to Live. my-results--chrashes, unstable sync (the FL studio drum beats i make are irregularly and inconsistently flangy and phasey, which seems to indicate they are strugglin to sync just right or something), and headaches. So, for fl studio 4 inside P5 rewired into live--no luck here. I found p5's interface to be the worst of any audio software i've ever seen, and the midi bites about as hard as reason's. My dream is still that FL will someday rewire into live, as it is the perfect compliment to Live-vsts, solidi midi, and step sequencer. If we can ever get live and fruity loops working together in harmony, we could change the world (anyone haveing any luck with this on pc's???),

Ryan

dblondin

Project 5 and Live

Post by dblondin » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:38 pm

I used to use Reason a lot but was never happy with the sound of the analog modeled synth. When Project 5 came along I ended up uninstalling Reason in favor of using some great sounding VSTi's. With Sychron 32 running the VSTis I'm able to bash out some good sequences. I do very little pattern chaining in Project 5 though. Instead I just build loops one at a time, render them in Ableton, and then sequence the audio instead. I'd recommend Project 5 to anyone looking for the best VSTi solution right now. If Live allowed us to sequence MIDI patterns like audio clips I think it would be incredible. They will never probably will go that route.

BTW Reason is still way more stable than Project 5 so expect occasional crashes.

For now I most often use analog sequencers that are synced to Abletons clock output. Then I can either drive the VSTi's in Project 5 or drive my hardware synths or both at the same time. Since Ableton has a latency compensation for clock out things sound really tight. It's really fool proof and so much more stimulating and interactive to me than to poking around in menus behind Live.

d