went back to 2.03

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

went back to 2.03

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:02 pm

I just found i was having problems - stuttering, drop outs - the clip record bug was just too annoying - and it didn't seem the updates/benfits of 2.1 really applied to me anyway (seems mostly mac and Pro tools etc)- I'm using a PC with live as master, reason slave and i want to be able to record on the fly and 2.1 had problems with that - i don't know how extensively i tested it but i used 2.1b1 for a bit and was sure it was really stable but i may not have tried the clip record thing - I don't suppose it's possible to still use it (to somehow unlock the July 31 expiry??)

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 09, 2003 1:18 pm

Hi there,

Don't know about the Beta because I've not used it - had exactly the same trouble with 2.1.1 so I've now gone back to 2.03 it's miles better!

I tend to agree, I also may be wrong, but the new update does seem to be Mac/Pro Tools friendly. I'm on a PC too, also with Reason - that recording bug with ReWire is SO annoying.

Have you any idea if they're going to bring out another Live update that adresses all these things?

Regards,

Richard C (UK)

Post by Guest » Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:21 pm

don't know about next update, but alot of people seem to have had troubles and one of the best things about ableton is they're on the ball with keeping an eye on the forum, support etc - I've found them to be really helpful and v concerned with problems and finding out the nature of problems etc....

Bernd

Post by Bernd » Sun Aug 10, 2003 12:24 pm

Hi,

first, even so the big feature "ReWire Slave support for OS X" doesn't effect PC users at all the 2.1 update holds many bug fixes especially for ReWire support in general. But probably we have overseen something or have made it in some cases even worse.

Could you be so kind and try to describe your problem as exact as possible:

- You both write you have a problem with recording. Do you both record Reason into the a clip in the session view?
- If so, what exactly is the problem - Do you have "stuttering, drop outs" in the audio output while recording or in the resulting clip?
- Does that happen always or just sometimes under certain circumstances?

I know how you feel: You have a problem and you want to get it fixed. But unfortunately most of the bugs that are still in the software we haven't found by ourselfes even through long test periods, because there are so many different ways to use the software. What's why we need your help to get these types of problems fixed. If we have the problem reproduceable on one of our machines the bug is normally fixed in some hours. But to get it there, that is the big problem.

Kind regards and thanks for your help, Bernd.
Bernd Roggendorf
roggendorf@ableton.com

sixela

Post by sixela » Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:59 pm

if it's any help, I'm pretty sure that 2.1b1 didn't have the same problems, In fact I mentioned to alex that i thought it was quicker and more stable - but i can't be certain what things i tried between 2.03 and 2.11

the most obvious i didn't mention as it has been mentioned before is when recording with the wave view showing in clip view, it seriously slows down/almost hangs - very nearly crashes but rights itself after a while but records something like 16 bars when i only need 1 or 2

In all cases I'm using reason

I just loaded it up then and tried playing a track I was working on and tried recording and playing about recording clips etc without the wave showing and it actually seemed to be going okay - I also realised I had the 'options.txt' settings for my emi 2/6 wrong at one point which may have been while i was trying 2.11 - (duh!!) because of the clip record crashing thing i probably dismissed it all together too early as to do with the update....

so I'll leave 2.11 on for the moment and just make sure the wave isn't showing when recording and see how it goes....I'll keep you posted!

cheers