[Tip] Looping with Mackie Control emulation!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:53 pm

But, does Live understand the XT commands?

(I'm also looking to build/configure the ultimate Live contreller.)

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:24 am

yes it does, up to three extras on top of the MC. Don't know about the c4, but that would probably be too expensive to build anyway (too many displays for mere mortals)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sat Dec 03, 2005 4:40 am

very nice

i did a scan but didn't see it ...so if this is a repeat sorry

track volume faders are assigned to pitchbend

track 1 midi chanel: 1 pitchbend
track 2 midi chanel: 2 pitchbend
and so on

and master volume on chanel 9 PB

so you wont need to assign volume faders any more

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:26 pm

Machinate wrote:
TheAnimal wrote:Here's another source of info about MCP: http://members.aol.com/mhigrules/MCMap.htm.
Nice!!!! 8O Goddamit, I feel like I've trawled through the whole damn net for this! Very thorough work it would seem.
It's nice, isn't it? But I don't use it a lot. It's much easier to turn on my MCU and see the codes sent in a midi monitor app. I'm using MidiPipe for monitoring (the pipe consisting of a "Midi In" and "AList" only).

But it's a shame. Why aren't the protocols thoroughly documented with documents available on the web? :evil:
Machinate wrote:
TheAnimal wrote: Problem is that it doesn't show the note's numbers (i.e. the decimal or hexadecimal midi codes).
Is this the kind of info you're looking for?
http://www.autosoft.com.hk/article/newu ... ote_no.jpg
?
Exactly.
Machinate wrote:
TheAnimal wrote: I also posted a small howto on the Tips&Tricks board a while ago:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28628
yeah I saw that... Honestly I didn't understand it at all, since it had a lot of info on midi note conversion mixed in there. :oops:
I know it's a little bit confusing. I put in the numbers, because there seem to be different standards for which note has the number 60 (middle C). And in a protocol it's all about numbers.
Machinate wrote:
TheAnimal wrote: But I'm still looking for a description of the MackieControlXT protocol. Can anybody help?
Me too, man. AFAIK the XT is a really cool addition, and has some possibilities not included in the mackieControl?
Actually, I'm afraid that there is not much added value - just some more encoders. But to be shure, I'd need to see the documentation.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:36 pm

the clever way of doing the xt would be to just switch midi channels to 2,3,4 etc..

youri

Post by youri » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:01 pm

mike holiday wrote:track volume faders are assigned to pitchbend

and so on

I understand the midichannel-mapping, but what do the notes G#7 (104) - D# (111) actually do?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:23 pm

youri wrote:
mike holiday wrote:track volume faders are assigned to pitchbend

and so on

I understand the midichannel-mapping, but what do the notes G#7 (104) - D# (111) actually do?
from the specs of it I assume they tell live that you're touching the fader - so they'll overwrite existing information. With proper touch-faders this data is generated automatically (by way of expensive electronics), but with something like a bcf you need to emulate it, by assigning a button or something.

youri

Post by youri » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:23 pm

Machinate wrote: from the specs of it I assume they tell live that you're touching the fader - so they'll overwrite existing information.
Thx! That seems to be so..
Machinate wrote:With proper touch-faders this data is generated automatically (by way of expensive electronics), but with something like a bcf you need to emulate it, by assigning a button or something.
Hm? If you run bcf in MC-mode and check the output-data (in MIDI_OX), you can see that the bcf is transmitting note on/off, too!
But in live, touching the faders while they move won't stop them!?!
Maybe ableton did miss something in the programming of mce?
We could find it out if someone with a real mackiecontrol would test this...

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:13 am

will i be able to get the navigation and triggering of clips working via my uc-33??

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:18 am

yes. You just need 5-6 buttons that can be programmed to transmit midi notes. The uc33 has 10, I believe.

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:38 am

nuperspective wrote:will i be able to get the navigation and triggering of clips working via my uc-33??
You can even use your synth keyboard (or whatever else sends midi code) to trigger clips:

In the "Midi/Sync" preferences dialog go to the "Remote Control Surfaces" section (at bottom) and there set "Control Surface" to Mackie Control and "Input" to your midi interface. Then play a loud E6 (midi code 100) to launch the clip.

MackieControl does not SEND anything magic. The magic lies within the INTERPRETATION of what has been sent. If you tell Live to interpret as MCP (MackieControl Protocol) what comes from a certain midi interface it will e.g. trigger a clip as soon as it receives a loud E6 note on midi message.

And if you don't have programmable keys you just route your mide through an application like MidiPipe. That's all.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:48 am

cool and the fuckin gang.

mgoulet666

FW1884 using MC with FCB1010?

Post by mgoulet666 » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:27 pm

This is great info- thanks!

I use the Mackie Control interface (with a TASCAM FW1884) already, and an FCB1010 for live looping. Does anyone know if I will be able to use both of these devices together with the method Machinate and others have described in this thread?

Matt
Boston, MA

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:40 pm

Yes, of course. That's exactly what I've been describing in my howto http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28628. My setup is MCU and MFC10. If you happen to be on Windows you'll have to find out which apps to use to merge and modify midi, though. But that should be an easy job. Or you could merge midi in hardware and program your FCB1010 so that no midi modification is needed.

youri

Post by youri » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:46 pm

Why does the LED-feedback of the V-POTs (bcf) not work when mapping them to CC16-23?? :cry: :cry:
Any answers?