How To Warp A Whole Track with relative Success

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
7stars

Post by 7stars » Sat Nov 12, 2005 9:58 pm

i tried with auto warp off and it works!! thank you very much!!

dizaster

Post by dizaster » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:21 pm

Glad you likes it.
I actually prefer this system because i use also the warp markers as reference points. Being on every 32 bar kinda makes sense with 4/4 music.
If theres a seperate point in a track i want to use i also drop a marker there.

Good luck, the fun is just beginning
Diz

GK

Post by GK » Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:31 pm

With respect to everyones attempt to help each other in this , and to the time you have spent writing all this [especially chris,who i know is a pro and in fact spends lots of time explaining this to all of us here] , but i got to say this :

ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE - WARPING CHAOS - FOR THE LOVE OF GOD.

It's been like 4,5 months ,i'm trying to warp correctly.
You know,if it's not 100% or MAYBE 99% , then the result sux.[at least at my ears-and i dont have a demanding earset]

I'm doing this , and then i'm reading another tutorial and then another one and then some tracks work , some others dont , gosh .
I mean DO WE REALLY HAVE TO GET THROUGH THIS ?
Is this the result of all of us who think Ableton Live is a live-dj-mixing program , but really it's just a small-8-bar-loops production tool?
How hard can it be , for a single program to do a proper beatdetection of a dance track ? or of ANY dance track ? Ok , there are problems with turntables and shifting , but still , this could be taken in concern from the developers,right? :roll:

If i'm not giving up now,i'm probably one step before giving up , so i just wanted to give some general thoughts about the issue. I'm probably quiting to easy,so dont take me as an example , afterall i do this just for my pleasure and not professionally.But the thing with so many topics after topics and still no satisfactory reply,is a fact,and proves live's weakness at this[?]

regards
This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

HH the Dalai Lama

7stars

Post by 7stars » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:48 pm

the 32 bars method for 4/4 dance tracks works well...i don't understand your problems...if it doesn't work well... means that during the tracks there are some errors(jumps of the turntable during recording)....you have to be sure of this.....bye

supster

Post by supster » Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:55 pm

GK wrote: It's been like 4,5 months ,i'm trying to warp correctly.

its really not that difficult. i think you're overthinking it and making it harder than it needs to be.

there are a couple of other threads where we gave step by step instructions
follow them exactly, you will be able to warp any track in no time at all, seriously.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

Ascot

Post by Ascot » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:12 pm

Hi,

This thread has been tremendously helpful, thanks for info so far peeps. Right ive been using Chris's method for warping but instead of guessing the tempo im using mixmeister to calculate it for me then setting the master tempo then dropping the track into the arrange section (ive been using autowarp but im thinking about turning it off), however abletons guesses are usually about 1bpm out from mixmeister, does changing the tempo next to the warp box then shifting to the downbeat, right clicking and using warp from here (start at mixmeister bpm) do anything? ive noticed the BPM drifts as soon as I move a marker anyway. It seems to be working ok, I have been checking every 16 bars and moving if nesccesary. I warped about thirty tracks last night using this method and most of them seem to be fine. Im still a little confused about what WARP markers actually do? When would I need to double click to make one (yellow) for example? All of my tunes were downloaded from beatport so they should be pretty spot on eh???

Cheers

Ascot

Post by Ascot » Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:21 pm

Umm, my post above should say abletons guesses are usually about .1bpm out

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:17 pm

If you can't figure out warping with the wealth of free videos, tips, tricks, etc contributed by so many selfless forum members, as well as superb third-party books (Ableton Live Power! especially), perhaps you should stick to your CD and record players!

Given the complexity of various forms of music, I just don't see how it can get any easier.

Ascot

Post by Ascot » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:35 am

Well, I do have a good idea how it works and probably shoulndt have posted that up but it IS A TIPS AND TRICKS FORUM and I have read the section in the manual so im really sorry about asking questions about stuff when tossers like you who are clearly far too intelligent to help mere reetaaards like myself by answering "simple" questions about warping, I mean "Given the complexity of various forms of music, I just don't see how it can get any easier"

Clearly

TWAT

GK

Post by GK » Thu Dec 01, 2005 9:38 am

sorry i was just disappointed from something else , its been some days that i "found it" again , its not a 1-month or 2-month procedure , needs constant training to get the feel of it..
my 1st set will give the respect needed to all of ya
peace
This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.

HH the Dalai Lama

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:04 pm

Apologies, Ascot... not aimed at you.

dizaster

Post by dizaster » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:14 pm

Guys..
The 32 method i described earlier...
I found a little add-on. If there is a track that ableton really struggles to get right, just make sure you line up markers 5 and 9 perfectly, then 17 then 32, you'll find the rest of the track pretty damn close.

I actually proved this method last saturday as i had a bug and lost all my markers. I still managed to play the whole set live, warping as i went along and with half of malta's dj's in the box peering over my shoulder trying to work out what the hell i was doing.

So worst case scenario with this system... you can still get the job done fast enough at the worst of times..

Now i have to go and show a bunch of turntablists the future..

Dizzy..

Ascot

Post by Ascot » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:04 pm

hambone1 wrote:Apologies, Ascot... not aimed at you.
No worries, I may have went off on one a bit. Sorry

Played my first (proper ish) DJ set with ableton tonight (at home), only had to tweak a couple of tracks. Out of thirty I dont have any yellow markers (cept one at the start) (cheers Chris / Bruce) but im having trouble with the kills no wow, not sure what to do with it yet. Im loving this program, cant wait to start on the DAW bitty, which is why I bought it.

Dizaster, I'll try that with it cheers

Gtrance

Post by Gtrance » Mon Dec 05, 2005 3:42 pm

Ok. Ive been reading dizaster's method. I must be thick but i dont get it. I line up my 1.1.1. marker on the down beat. I then put left bracket of loop brace on 1.1.1 I then move right hand side of loop brace to 33rd marker. This I do but then what am i supposed to be lining up. When i move warp markers loop brace moves aswell. I liked the sound of this method but i must be thick as dog shite cause it aint happenin. Anyone familiar with dizasters method please help me!!!

dizaster

Post by dizaster » Mon Dec 05, 2005 4:02 pm

Hey Gtrance.
Sorry if i rushed the post, i'll try again.

The way i do it is i highlight (double click) the 33rd marker and drop it into place. This, only when it's comes out really close. If it's not that close, then move the marker first, without double clicking it, it will drag most of the rest of the track into place, then highlight it and leave it 'locked'

Then, click on the loopmarker again , it should turn black, hold down shift, hit the up arrow and the loop marker will jump 32 bars up, to position 65. Double click 65, make sure it's lined up and keep following this process. You'll get through the track in no time, leaving 'locked' markers every 32 bars.

Make sure you hit save the markers by clciking save in the clip view (next to edit etc.. and from then on in that file will always be ready to go.

Please bear in mind that there are many ways to do this, try a couple, find one you like then stick to it, you'll get very fast and efficient soon enough
good luck
Diz