Impulse Improvements

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
tylast

Impulse Improvements

Post by tylast » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:36 pm

I just migrated from my laptop to my desktop & things went well for the most part. The biggest issue I had was locating all my samples for RMIV....what a PAIN! I only have 25% of my tracks using RMIV. I switched over to Impulse earlier this year & ALL of those tracks had ALL of their samples after the move...because I use the save self contained set with Live. Anyway, I'd like to see a few Impulse improvements.

1. How about a sample offset in miliseconds. Basically, this would be an insert of up to 10 ms in front of each sample. Then I could automate a humanistic feel to drum patterns more easily. I used to do this in Orion Platinum.

Older threads with suggestions:

2. Thread on Mutes & Solos automation.

3. Thread on using the Complex mode for the stretching.

4. Thread on Impulse Choke Groups. 2nd Thread.
Last edited by tylast on Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dandruff

Post by Dandruff » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:57 pm

tylast

Post by tylast » Sat Nov 19, 2005 1:20 pm

poshook

Post by poshook » Mon Nov 21, 2005 7:26 am

possibility to move used samples between cells

s[riteboy

Post by s[riteboy » Mon Nov 21, 2005 3:13 pm

how about having 16 drums sounds? 8 is restricted

tylast

Post by tylast » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:11 pm

I'm usually not so worried about having 16 because I can just add a new channel with another Impulse. I like to add different effects to the drum sounds & I usually route all the bassy sounds to one track for compression purposes. I wouldn't mind 16 IF there were better routing of the idividual cells (like when I use RMIV with Live). :wink:

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:15 pm

- Sends or busses instead of having to make 3 tracks to send delay on 3 drums, for instance.

- Gate decay

- More Cells

- Roll (repeat) Function

- LFO

- Everything as a target for every modulator (Random/Velocity/LFO to Start/Decay/Drive)

- A & B Layers for simple velocity layers

- Editable Note #'s

- Pitch & Filter Envelopes (Or just 1 spare Mod envolpe assignable to mod sources)
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

poshook

Post by poshook » Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:38 pm

add adjustable atack time instead of "Soft" button

borg

Post by borg » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:10 pm

still can't believe that individually muting pads is not key/midi assignable.

all my gear is neatly packed, ready to be moved, so can someone confirm whether it is possible to have a midi note assigned to a pad's volume knob, and have it's min/max value set, so that the first press mutes the pad (volume 0%), the second unmutes it (volume at 100% of actual value)?

of course you can route individual sounds to tracks, and i'm sure plogue bidule or max can do something like that, but isn't that making things a tad too complicated? come on! please, midi/key assignable mute buttons.
andy
2015 MBP, OSX 10.12, Live 10.1 64bit, RME Fireface 800

tylast

Post by tylast » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:25 pm

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:26 am

Hi,

my suggest is to make the impulse's slots capable of multilayering: the possibility of drag and drop more than one sample into each slot, and to trigger it depending of velocity settings.

This improvement would allow me building more realistic drum sets, without needing to install third party VSTis... i love impulse beatiful and intuitive inteface and i want that it replaces my drum VSTs. It would be wonderful to make all my sounds needing nothing than Live, with some well designed LivePacks & LiveFills.

Other old request of users is the ability to interchange samples between slots, and drag and drop them to the browser view.

Silicon/Silicium

Post by Silicon/Silicium » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:48 pm

real problem with impulse is when you go in complex routings:
---8 pads is not enough, for me at least, of course you can use two tracks, but...
you loose the note naming in piano roll. you can't save your 16 pads kits, you can't even save the channel state as there is two channel. stacking two or more impulse (each time with 8 semitones autoshifting could be enough.
---routing effects, well it can be such a mess, you have to create a lot of audio tracks, it's annoying when you go into mute/solo, again, you can't save such routings so creating kits with effects is messy. ->solution, having routing option in a single track, eg to route an impulse out to an effect straight in the track, that should be a lot of rewriting but could be very handy with multiouts plug ins, as complex routing could be saved with track.
---choke, nothing to add
---an option I like in GURU: when you drag a wav over a cell, the sound is previewed in context, releasing the mouse button replace the sample in the cell. it's a real cool feature to have, avoiding the dude, where is my snare when you accidentaly try a bad sound.
---layer, could be an option, not the most critical, but always welcome.

onslaught

Post by onslaught » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:37 pm

Silicon/Silicium wrote:solution, having routing option in a single track, eg to route an impulse out to an effect straight in the track, that should be a lot of rewriting but could be very handy with multiouts plug ins, as complex routing could be saved with track.
Mmm, interesting idea, but could also get messy. As in the list of all the effects in the routings options and knowing which drum pad you are tweaking with when using the effects in the device section. Having the drums route to different tracks keeps it visually clear of whats going on.
You could set up your template set-up with all your routings and effects set up and then just have a heap of drum kits ready to go. Also you could group sets of effects that go with particular drum hits and save them into your library.
Definately more pads is good though :)

mezzmerized

impulse features

Post by mezzmerized » Tue Feb 28, 2006 6:52 am

[1] slots capable of multilayering

[2] the ability to interchange samples between slots, and drag and drop them to the browser view

[3] ability to route individual or grouped slots to effects

and of course...[4] more slots
Ah, that shows you the power of music, that magician of magician, who lifts his wand and says his mysterious word and all things real pass away and the phantoms of your mind walk before you clothed in flesh.

alvaro

Re: impulse features

Post by alvaro » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:42 am

mezzmerized wrote:[1] slots capable of multilayering

[2] the ability to interchange samples between slots, and drag and drop them to the browser view

[3] ability to route individual or grouped slots to effects

and of course...[4] more slots
Totally agree, IMHO that's the definitive Impulse Improvement wish List to Live 6.

Except issue [3]: you can do this creating one audio track and setting its input to the individual Impulse slot once selected its track... although you can not select multiple slots per channel.

About the issue [4]: i think the best flexible way to achieve that feature (for all users needings), is to add the capability of racking multiple instances of Impulse in one single track. That would be wonderfull, as i said in this post:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight=

Impulse is cool!!

regards

Alvaro G.