Stretch Algorithm still not on par with ACID/Sonar

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Post by Guest » Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:22 pm

preach it mbazzy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pgunders

Post by pgunders » Mon Aug 18, 2003 11:37 pm

Speedbird has a good point in that Acid does a better job out of the box when it comes to looping sound quality. I'm sure Ableton will continue to develop better stretching procedures. The improvement from 1 to 2 was wonderful and 2 to 3 will undoubtledly be equally good. Ableton usually delivers.

As I'm sure Speedbird knows, the most professional results are obtained by not using any stretching at all. Create your own loops at the tempo of your song and you're good to go.

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:09 am

amen. get out a real instrument, set the tempo to what you want, and record--it's just that simple. I understand that people use loops and junks, but to me, thats just remixing and rehashing, not creation. Creation is when you start with tabla rasa, and make a song for yourself, of yourself. Live is the ultimate creation and composition tool for a single person--to be able to take a bassline or drumbeat you've created yourself, then loop it on the fly, then start to create other parts around it is the most powerful, fastest, and most rewarding musical/creative experience I've ever had. There is nothing else even close to Live for taking a singular musical idea you have on an instrument, then flushing out a composition on other instruments in an enjoyable and timely manner. Other software just inhibits the creative flow--Live enhances it. Live is nothing short of a revolutionary way to create music from scratch. People can use their canned loops, and thats their perogative, but let's be honest, a song who's genisis is someone else's loop is not truly your own music. I find it exponentially more rewarding to make everything from scratch myself--then it is a true reflection of me, my ideas, my music, my soul--not someone elses. try it out, you might just surprise yourself. Ableton Live has changed the way I create music, it is truly the answer to my dreams. I've been on vacation away from my computer for a few weeks, and even though i have a few instruments wherever i go, that is no longer enough for me--the creative process Live enables is beckoning me home--I can't wait to fire it up.

ryan

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:38 am

What, Ryan - You didn't have a library of drum loops and such that you composed but never used? Suppose you found one you liked and wanted to use it on a new track, which happened to run at a completely differen tempo...

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:19 pm

i make 'em all in fruity loops, just change the tempo and its all good--sorry to dissapoint you. the one's i make in live are all live on stage--good enough for me--but when i compose at home i find FL studio 4 to be much more flexible, tweakable, and changeable than Live is for making beats, due to the fact that it is midi rather than audio, and i have a step sequencer or piano rolls i can edit til my hearts delight, and a tempo meter i can change at will. This is exactly why i've been wishing FL would implement rewire, or live would implement vsti's or step sequencing, or midi--but alas nothing is a solid way to get FL into Live (yet). I do have a shitload of drum beats and ideas i've made, but the way i work is not such that i have half a song done and say--wouldn't it be great if i had that loop/beat. I guess that's what i was trying to describe about how live lets me work--taking one idea on whatever instrument the idea was born on, then looping that clip and trying out other ideas with it on other instruments until the ensemble and composition is fleshed out. I find that every subsequent part after the initial idea is built on what is already there--thus adding a drumbeat i've made without the current song in mind to the current song wouldn't be as good as creating a new one that reacts to and is a part of the song i'm working on. Thats just the way i work, as i have always played in bands (i'm in 4 right now), and find that the creative process of reacting to what others are playing (or what i'm playing myself, thanks to Live) is much more rewarding and cohesive than piecing together canned loops or beats i created without the current piece in mind. thats just the way i think and work, others can do whatever they please, but this is what makes me happy.

Ryan