(OT) Reason Combinator + Dr Rex = Triggered sample player?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
M. Bréqs

(OT) Reason Combinator + Dr Rex = Triggered sample player?

Post by M. Bréqs » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:08 am

Hey all. I don't own Reason 3.0 (still using 2.5x) and I was wondering if the Combinator could do something quite specific.

I thought about the possibility of designing a series of Dr Rex players that would hold a series of related (or maybe not related) REX loops. Could you then arrange them somehow in a Combinator patch to allow triggering or different loops from the various Dr Rex's (with no load time)? I assume that it could take a midi signal and decide that certain keystrokes only to go certain instruments, no?

Any advice is appreciated. This will put the decision to buy Reason 3 over the top for me if I could do something like this.

Note that I asked here and not on the Reason forums because they're so awfully difficult to get straight answers over there...

thanks

computo

Post by computo » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:40 am

I think there are some similar ideas in the demo patches of the combinator...something like "drum machines" or the like...

There is actually a great patch that james bernard put together, which is really neat...

your idea sounds feasible.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:31 am

I definitely think you can hook up something good.
What I did was load up 8 instances of Phatmatik pro in EnergyXT, and then I assigned a knob to switch between them, for maximum TriggerFinger action ;-)so that entire setup used only 16 pads and one knob, really.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:39 am

It is possible. Though in production I always record over rewire to audio in Live since , like BT I prefer audio for timing, I made some custom Combinator for using live with Live.
not having ver3 is crazy, you will know what I mean once you start using it, I never liked Reason till version 3 came out, coudnt work without it.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:32 pm

I think what you are asking about sounds doable. I think, becasue I'm not sure exactly what you are describing, but therre are a few "drum machines" that are specific to REX. One is named after Tom Jorgensen ? (Squarepusher) and can do some retarded good tricks...

Under the Props "Support"Tab, look in Video Tutorials

"What's New in Reason 3.0" James Bernard is using it... but its a long video ...
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:10 pm

yes. in the combinator programmer, you assign note ranges to each device

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:41 pm

Frickin wicked. This is exactly what I wanted.

'nuff said, I'm upgrading!!!

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Wed Dec 14, 2005 2:48 pm

M. Bréqs wrote:Frickin wicked. This is exactly what I wanted.

As a question, why not use legato mode in Live? I guess that is a bit too simplified though.

There is probably a reaktor ensemble that already does this too if you already have Reaktor. I'll have to look around.

But to be clear, what you are looking for is to be able to press a key to play one loop in Dr. Rex, and then press a different key to stop the previous loop and start a new loop?

Again, what you initially stated sounds a lot like legato mode in Live...

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:22 pm

gaspode wrote:

As a question, why not use legato mode in Live?

Yep, sure does. I am a big Legato mode fan, it was my fav feature of Live 3! However, Live still doesn't let me use .Rx2 files, and that's important to me. I find that .rx2 files are a lot more manipulable than audio in Live, even when you're using clip envelopes!!!

Slice dynamics and most importantly groove capture are two critical aspects of Reason, the Dr Rex and .rx2 files that Live just can't keep up with.

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:34 pm

M. Bréqs wrote:
gaspode wrote:

As a question, why not use legato mode in Live?

Yep, sure does. I am a big Legato mode fan, it was my fav feature of Live 3! However, Live still doesn't let me use .Rx2 files, and that's important to me. I find that .rx2 files are a lot more manipulable than audio in Live, even when you're using clip envelopes!!!

Slice dynamics and most importantly groove capture are two critical aspects of Reason, the Dr Rex and .rx2 files that Live just can't keep up with.
You can also load Rex files into NN19 in a Combi with a bank of Matrix Sequencers.
Load up NN19 with a REX file.
Program several pattern banks for all your Matrix sequencers.
Use CV splitter/Merger Spiders and rout the output to the NN19.
Then assign the Combi knobs to control a variety of seperate Matrix sequences simultaneously also for all sorts of brak beat madness btw :wink: .
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:55 pm

Ah, have you checked out Stylus RMX then? Not trying to convince you *not* to get into Reason, just announcing options. I think phatmatik pro also loads .rx2 files... might be worth a try to check in to it as well, although I don't think it is really supported anymore.