Anyone using 1GHz TiBook?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
scotty

Post by scotty » Sat Aug 16, 2003 10:54 pm

Anonymous wrote:the remote has an unload spring feature.
How does that work? Is it a mechanical thing? Or does the stick still have the springs engaged but uses some sort of "soft-takeover" (is that the expression?). I'd love it to be something mechanical...

thanks,
scotty

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:47 pm

it's mechanical switch on the underside of the remote

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:48 am

Like he said, yep, the remote's totally mechanical switchable, stays where you put it. Transport issues sorted too just sorting out my Powerbook partitions now that I've finally got an English install dvd out of Apple (finally!!!)
Harb-did you encounter any crashes/restarts when installing X/9 across 2 partitions on the 1GHz? Seems to be a little funky but I'll persevere.

nik

harb

Post by harb » Mon Aug 18, 2003 9:55 am

muthafunka,

I did not experience crashes... It was however quite tricky to get OS 9 on the partition.

I did the following:

Install Mac OS X on both partitions.
Install Mac OS 9 on one of the partitions.
Delete Mac OS X from the OS 9 partition.

It is quite difficult as the OS 9 install is pretty deep in the DVD...
It appears to be impossible to install OS 9 without OS X installed on the partition... even with an OS 9 install CD.

harb

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 19, 2003 3:08 pm

Harb, thanks. Everything seems to have settled down now- I installed X then 9 on one partition then just copied the brand-new 9 system plus the apps over to the other partition. Your method was how someone at Apple Japan also suggested I do it, then again the same person used the word 'maybe' repeatedly when talking about my install questions...not too inspiring. Whatever, loving the 'book!

tribalogical

Post by tribalogical » Sat Sep 20, 2003 10:20 am

muthafunka wrote:I've finally got an English install dvd out of Apple (finally!!!)

nik

Hey, nik... one question: How???

Days away from ordering a PB, and wondering....

(I've asked Apple Japan about it in the past, and all they've said pretty much is, "sssss, it's difficult....")

any pointers to success would be much appreciated!

thanks,

tribalogical

The Kooky Scientist

Post by The Kooky Scientist » Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:08 pm

I just purchased one of the last 15" 1ghz tiBooks in the New England area. I partitioned the drive in 3 sections. One for OS X, OS 9 and Audio files. The trick to getting OS 9 on it's own partition is to install OS X on it's own partition. Then just drag the OS 9 system folder onto the OS 9 partition. Only a few aliases have to be fixed after that.

telepathic regards,
the kooky scientist

scotty

Post by scotty » Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:16 pm

so the new powerbook support dual boot?
I didn't realize that...

-scotty

The Kooky Scientist

Post by The Kooky Scientist » Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:14 pm

NO, the new powerbooks are Not called titanium and they do not support dual boot. Grab the titanium while you still can.

scotty

Post by scotty » Sun Sep 21, 2003 12:39 am

The Kooky Scientist wrote:NO, the new powerbooks are Not called titanium and they do not support dual boot. Grab the titanium while you still can.
oops... missed the "tiBook" part of your post. Thanks for the answer. I already ordered one of the new 15.2" powerbooks last week so I can't snatch up one of the exiting models. I'm fine with that though as I've been looking to move ahead with OSX (and run os9 stuff on my old lombard). Looking forward to running Live on it

-scotty

os

Post by os » Sun Sep 21, 2003 1:12 am

(apologies for OT)
it seems some guys on this thread are in Japan...?
I'm in Tokyo for a bit and would love to hear of some good gigs etc.
(might be better to use the private message thing when replying)
cheers,
os.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:05 am

tribalogical wrote:
muthafunka wrote:I've finally got an English install dvd out of Apple (finally!!!)

nik

Hey, nik... one question: How???

tribalogical
Sorry for the delay-ay-ay-ay-ay, was getting a little country air in Yamanashi with TiBook under arm! Getting an English install dvd? I called the English Apple service centre, spoke to Ms. Shiratani and explained that while OSX works fine in English the accompanying 9.2.2 is J only with no English version available retail....I bought a (roughly) $3000 machine just for the dual boot, what can I do? etc etc etc and she said 'Hold on, we might have one, fax me a copy of your reg. card etc and I'll see if I can help'. Lo and behold 2 days later it arrived! I was as surprised as you as I know this is VERY unusual behaviour for Apple Japan. Give them a go and let me know how you fare, I might be able to help ;)

nik

tribalogical

Post by tribalogical » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:24 pm

muthafunka wrote: Sorry for the delay-ay-ay-ay-ay, was getting a little country air in Yamanashi with TiBook under arm!

I was as surprised as you as I know this is VERY unusual behaviour for Apple Japan. Give them a go and let me know how you fare, I might be able to help ;)

nik

arigato! I will push them along and see how it goes...

should have the new PB in hand by this time next week.... :)

thanks again,

tribalogical