creating Moroder style synths in Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
paolo topaz

creating Moroder style synths in Live

Post by paolo topaz » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:12 am

I've been djing with Live for a few months now and have only recently begun exploring the production side.

Having poured through countless magazines trying to pick up production techniques I've finally begun to learn more midi based progamming now that I have Computer Musics Essential Guide to Ableton.

I still only have the Demo of Operator but will be upgrading soon.

My two main questions are as follows

1. I really want to create a rolling synth or bassline in a similar vein to any Giorgio Moroder work or Chris Source's "Hugs&Kisses" being a more recent example(this is an absolute belter by the way and the reason why I'm in love with Barcelona!).

How can I go about this in Live? Put a sample into Simpler or is a job for Operator?. I hope you'll forgive my newbieness but I'm just drawing in notes on a MIDI clip so it's very much trial and error based. If some one could post up a visual of such MIDI notes it would be a great help for me to get my head around it

I can't play the key boards at all but I should probably get a key board just to tap in ideas?

2. This is a more general question, I seem to find Live very user friendly and intuitive, I've looked at Cuebase but it doesn't seem to click with me like Live, should I just concentrate all my production efforts on Live with possibly slaving in Reason 3? Am I limiting myself production wise by ignoring Cuebase 3 and Logic?

many thanks in advance

Paolo

www.paolotopaz.com
Paolo

Machinate

Re: creating Moroder style synths in Live

Post by Machinate » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:20 am

paolo topaz wrote:1. I really want to create a rolling synth or bassline in a similar vein to any Giorgio Moroder work or Chris Source's "Hugs&Kisses" being a more recent example(this is an absolute belter by the way and the reason why I'm in love with Barcelona!).
Audio sample, please ;-)
paolo topaz wrote: I can't play the key boards at all but I should probably get a key board just to tap in ideas?
Yes. Plus, you'll have a lot more happy accidents with a midi controller.
2. This is a more general question, I seem to find Live very user friendly and intuitive, I've looked at Cuebase but it doesn't seem to click with me like Live, should I just concentrate all my production efforts on Live with possibly slaving in Reason 3? Am I limiting myself production wise by ignoring Cuebase 3 and Logic?
I'd say you would be limiting your production by focussing your energy on three different hosts. Try sticking with Live for now. You'll know if it's time to expand.

Andreas
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

paolo topaz

Post by paolo topaz » Wed Dec 14, 2005 3:40 am

Thanks for the quick response Andreas,

the rolling synths I'm talking about with 'I feel love' being an obvious example, Chriss Source's Hugs&Kisses can be heard on this site http://www.htfr.com/wishlist/?catno=MR147785

thanks for the reply, keep em coming!

Paolo
Paolo

paolo topaz

Post by paolo topaz » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:11 am

http://www.htfr.com/search/?artist=cris ... &x=-1&y=-1

Sorry, Mp3 sample can be heard from this link, check it!

Paolo
Paolo

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:30 am

i would check out rebirth, since it's free, and the step-sequencing style seems like a really good way to get so many repeating notes like that

paolo topaz

Post by paolo topaz » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:34 am

cheers longjohns,

How would I run that into Live or create the synth loop in rebirth and then import?

please forgive my ignorance, only producing a few weeks

Paolo
Paolo

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:54 am

you can run them simultaneously via ReWire (just start live first, then start rebirth, and presto)

then you can record the audio into live for further fiddling, or not, as you see fit

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:37 am

but also, listening again to that mp3, drawing in the notes in live might really be an easy way too. and you'd have a lot more sounds to work with

claudek

Post by claudek » Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:02 am

maybe search Morodor midi files..
Import the midi files into Live. Find a cool VST bass.
Mac G4 Quicksilver 1000GHz / Motu 828 /OSX 10.3.9
&
Mac Ibook G4 800GHz OSX 10.3.9 /Core Audio/M Audio Oxy 8
PC: ASUS 2.8 GHz P4 / XP

Live 5.02

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:36 am

these Moroder-style basslines can be made with the arpeggiator (only in Live 5) put in front of simpler or operator. Try out the various settings, 8th or 16th-notes should be good for basslines. If you have "hold" selected you only need to trigger one note (or various at the same time) and a rythmical bass pattern will play.

ishimaru

Post by ishimaru » Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:29 am

The Moroder bass is very interesting because if you listen closely its only 4 notes going up in scale. The real trick is the effects you use. I'm trying to make one right now lol. I'll post if I'm successful.
Every situation(1) should be confronted with its opposite(2) to come to a better situation(3).

1 Thesis
2 Antithesis
3 Synthesis

- Hegel

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:18 am

I say: Keep it simple, stay with one program for now (Live!), it is really simple to work with but when you get better you will find it's really powerful as well.

For Donna Summer style basslines I recommend drawing 16th notes in the MIDI editor with the pencil, while Live is running. Then you move them around until you like what you hear.

Check out these VSTs (free) for retro Analog sounds:
Asynth
http://antti.smartelectronix.com/
Iblit
http://www.bostreammail.net/ers/iblit.html

Did you install the Livepacks? There is a Simpler preset (or a LiveClip I forgot which) in there called "Oh Giorgio" that is similar sounding to what you're looking for!
http://www.ableton.com/index.php?main=downloads

Have fun!
:D

:D

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:50 am

Some bassline's might be hard to recreate because of the lack of "accent" and "slide" on most synths.
If you're looking for the pattern, then google it.
If you are looking for the sound, then visit http://www.audiorealism.se/
You'll find some of the moroder sequences on the forum.

For the sound of no-303 moroder tracks....
There is a SoundFont pack available that was made from his collection of synths.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Dec 14, 2005 10:49 am

oh, and I've heard of this big pack of synths and sounds for Live? *sig*
That might be useful :wink:

Seriously though, the simpler and the live arp should get you loads closer to the sound you want.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

synthpopkid

Post by synthpopkid » Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:23 pm

I believe Moroder discovered that bassline by accidentally running a simple bass through a delay, so if you really wanna be authentic, don't put notes on the 16ths. Put them on the 8ths and use a delay to trigger a note immediately after each one played. With a bit or feedback.

Or something.

Oh I dunno. I'm just a DJ.

x