[Tip] Looping with Mackie Control emulation!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:41 am

I cant believe Ive actually got this working! Thanks a lot Machinate, this (and the addition of my FCB1010) have opened up a whole new world of possiblility.

TheAnimal

Post by TheAnimal » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:19 pm

I just phoned Mackie. There actually are whitepapers but you have to sign a non-disclosure agreement to get them. What Mackie wants to protect this way seems to be the part of the protocol that goes back to the MCU and e.g. controls the display. For us end-users this part of the protocol is, of course, not so very interesting and it would be nice if Mackie would at least publish the codes that go in MCU->computer direction, wouldn't it? Maybe a couple of emails to Mackie from some of you might help.

youri

Post by youri » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:57 pm

:D
I think I got it!

LED-feedback of the V-POTs are the control changes 48-55!

...But v-pots are already mapped to cc16-23!

-Hmm?!?
Think you have to use miditranslator to control both (vpots and led-feedback)...

grfld

Post by grfld » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:13 am

@Youri, just to be shure: You told Live to send values back to the BCR by setting "track" and "remote" both the the bcr (or whatever midiport it is mapped?)

x/grfld

youri

Post by youri » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:17 pm

If have a bcf, but YES, of course I let live send values back to the bcf!

Why?

Is the led-feedback working for you??
(I mean the v-pots, not your other rotary encoders....)
Last edited by youri on Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

youri

Post by youri » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:17 pm

For me to understand: you change for example your pan with the mouse in live and it gives the correct led-fdb to bcf/bcr??

cheers
youri
Last edited by youri on Mon Dec 12, 2005 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

grfld

Post by grfld » Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:40 pm

youri wrote:Is the led-feedback working for you??
(I mean the v-pots, not your other rotary encoders....)
For me to understand: you change for example your pan with the mouse in live and it gives the correct led-fdb to bcf/bcr??
Yes, it works fine on my BCF2000. Normaly i work in Mackie Mode, but i changed - just to be shure - my settings like this and turned the BCF on by pressing the first upper key (display shows "bc"):

Every encoder displays the value, either if i change the value with the encoder or by using the mouse or an automation curve from the arranger.

Maybe the display is turned of by your BCF? Press "learn", turn the desired encoder to select and turn encoder 8 ("Value indication"). You should either see "on" or something like "1d" (1 digit, standard), "1d-" (1 digit, zero = no led is lit), 2d (2 digit represent "half steps"), "bar" (the led "increase", for volume display) or "pan" (guess *ggg*")

"off" means, there is no Value indiciation.

hope this helps.

x/grfld.

youri

Post by youri » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:59 pm

Ok grfld, I think we do this step by step to avoid misunderstandings.

First, thanks for your detailed explanation, but let me say: I'm not a newbie to this... :wink:

If I run bcf in mackie mode (second upper key), the v-pot-leds work, of course!
But I want my bcf more flexibly, so I run it in normal bc-mode and map the buttons, knobs and sliders to the values, that are transmitted by the mackie-protocol (approximately like machinate wrote in his first post of this thread).
In live I do my settings like this:

Okay, for example my first v-pot is mapped to control change 16!
So when I move it, it automatically moves pan1 in live (without midimapping in live)!
But the led-ring of the physical v-pot does not show the same values as the pan in live.
Can you folow me now?

PS: Wir könnten uns ja auch in deutsch unterhalten, das wär einfacher,
aber ich glaub dann verstehen uns die andern nicht.... :wink:

grfld

Post by grfld » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:13 pm

Aaaah! Da ist schon mal ein Unterschied!

Ich habe meinen BCF nicht "umgemappt" und verwende ihn entweder nur im MC-Modus (dann ist nur die Bedienoberfläche aktiv) ODER ich habe, wie oben beschrieben, den BCF im BC-Modus und assigne dann aber jedes Element manuell (hier ist bei den Bedienoberflächen dann nichts eingetragen). Das habe ich einmal für beide Controller gemacht und als Template gespeichert.

Beide Wege führen zum gewünschten Ergebniss. Ich teste heute abend mal Deine Methode aus.

x/grfld

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:38 pm

please boys, if you want a german discussion on this start your own thread perhaps?

:roll: :wink:
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

youri

Post by youri » Sun Dec 11, 2005 4:13 pm

Machinate wrote:please boys, if you want a german discussion on this start your own thread perhaps?
Sorry machinate...:D

So, what do you think: vpot-led-feedback: cc48-55 (or in hex:30-37) ?!?
Just look in the logic control manual (because we have no mackie manual):
Chapter "Logic Control-MIDI Implementation" - "Common Control Messages" - "V-POT LED ring"
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Contro ... upport.pdf

@grfld:
I dont like the bcf-mackie-mode from behringer because there are only few functions of mackie integrated!. And you cannot use the preset-buttons!

grfld

Post by grfld » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:22 pm

Sorry, Machinate. :oops:

@Youri: With the presets, i agree (but i don't miss them because all of my mixes where automated, so the "preset" is in the Live / Samplitude / Cubase-File :wink:

What do you mean with "only a few functions are implemented"? :?:

youri

Post by youri » Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:05 pm

Did you read the whole thread???

http://home.comcast.net/%7Erobbowers11/MCMap.htm

ebenextra

HELP

Post by ebenextra » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:24 am

I'm trying to sort this out with my Trigger Finger, but can't seem to get it to work...

Here's what I did: I assigned the pads on my TF to the notes suggested in this thread.(what do I do with the note numbers?)

Then I selected the trigger finger as a Mackie Control unit as an IN- and OUT- device. At the bottom of the Preferences\Midi/sync page. I also have the Trigger finger selected as the TRACK and REMOTE device under Input and Output on the same page.

Now, when I hit the pads assigned to the specific notes, nothing happens in session or arrangement view!!!

I tried the same with my X_station... Using the keyboarrd notes, but no luck...

I know there's somethin small i need to get my head around...

Someone please assist???

Cheers guys!
...silly rabbit ,leave the tricks for the cats!

youri

Post by youri » Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:52 am

Make sure that you are on midi-channel 1 and set the velocity of your pads to 127 (important!).

Good luck... :wink: