UnEvEn loop lengths when recording on the fly(Qntz 1 bar)

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Groovecake

Post by Groovecake » Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:06 pm

I would hope that when a high profile user like Kid Beyond experiences a bug that Ableton would make it a priority to look into it.

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:36 pm

Hi folks,

we still have the problem that we did not find a way to reproduce this behavior and therefore
we could not yet provide a fix for this problem.
Very probably we will provide some kind of special version in the next time doing a lot more traces
that should help us to find what happens there.

I would just ask for a bit of patience as most Ableton people will take vacation for the next weeks because
of the Christmas and new year. I will post when we have news on that issue.
I would hope that when a high profile user like Kid Beyond experiences a bug that Ableton would make it a priority to look into it.
In the end it makes no difference who experiences a bug concerning priorities.
Much more important is what kind of bug is it, how many people get it, how can it be reproduced and then how can it be fixed.

regards,
/Alex

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:14 pm

this is strange, maybe im not understanding the bug fix for 5.03 but ive just downloaded it & opened up a set i was doing in 5.02 & quite a few loops are are showing 3+ etc (on the track display pie) when i know its a 4. Moving the loop end marker away & back again seems to sort it out but sometimes i had to do this a couple of times. They appear to be looping ok by the sound of it.

Its strange as all of these loops were whole & showing as that in 5.02.

What's going on?

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:27 pm

Hi Meef Chaloin,
this is strange, maybe im not understanding the bug fix for 5.03 but ive just downloaded it & opened up a set i was doing in 5.02 & quite a few loops are are showing 3+ etc (on the track display pie) when i know its a 4
That is a part of the bug fix. Because of the bug in the previous version these loops have a length of "4 beats minus 1 sample".

They appear to be looping ok by the sound of it.
If you play them a while they will go out of sync. So assuming you would have a sample rate of 44100 Hz, a 1 bar loop would be out of sync by 1 second after 44100 iterations of playing.

regards,
/Alex

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:20 am

good to know, thanks

rab

Post by rab » Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:12 pm

I have experienced this problem often, and maybe I can shed some new light on the issue.

When this happens to me, it is ONLY when I am using the top note on my 73-key keyboard as a MIDI tap tempo button, and I'm tapping the beat to keep live in sync with my drummer as I am recording him into a track.

Here's how it works. My drummer starts playing a beat. I have a MIDI tap tempo button (highest note on my MIDI keyboard) that I start pressing on each of his downbeats. Once I see that live is synched up to him, I trigger a slot recording button via my FCB-1010 foot pedal, and then again to stop the recording and have that newly recorded loop start playing.

Often times (live 5.0.2, Win XP) the recorded loop will have an uneven length (3.3.3 for example) even though the quantization is set to 1 bar. This is incredibly irritating, it destroys our whole session, and it must be fixed as soon as possible.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:13 pm

try this people....

have your quantise set to 1bar

play something in audio track 1,
set another audio tracks input as 'track 1' and turn the monitoring off.

now , play something on audio track 1, and record it in the other audio track. stop recording. now, reverse the newly recorded clip. what length is it ? (point being that it will be truncated, uneven. to workaround this you need to lock the last warp marker before you reverse it...)

vdrum

Post by vdrum » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:27 am

Henry & others...

That work around in a live performance situation is unacceptable..Christian and DOm (at ABe HQ) are you guys listening?
eDrummer: Roland Vdrum kit Live 8/ MacBookPro 2.5 mhz & 2gb. Motu Ultralite.. Homemade midi-triggering pad for LIVE's filters , clips , & record buttons. Hopelessly hooked on live looping.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:16 pm

so its happening to you too ? (reversing the clip and it becomes uneven)

does this mean that they basically cheated to fix this bug in the first place , forcing the clip to read as tho its even, but when you reverse it you see that it isnt ?

at any rate, its another annoyance

mariner

Post by mariner » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:02 am

henry ford wrote:try this people....

have your quantise set to 1bar

play something in audio track 1,
set another audio tracks input as 'track 1' and turn the monitoring off.

now , play something on audio track 1, and record it in the other audio track. stop recording. now, reverse the newly recorded clip. what length is it ? (point being that it will be truncated, uneven. to workaround this you need to lock the last warp marker before you reverse it...)

just tested this and got the same result.

recorded an empty 4 bar audio clip,

reversed it and got 3.3.3!!!

I'm sending the .alp file to Ableton.

just when I thought it was safe to use L5.

-m
15" 2.8Ghz i7 MBP OS 10.6.8, MOTU Traveler, Live 8.2.5, M4L, NI Komplete 5, Behringer FCB1010, Edirol PCR 500, Kenton Killamix, Evolution UC-33.

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:17 am

hehe....i couldnt be assed going through with the beta-testing procedure...and I'm finding plenty of problems here and there. tis a shame I've become the voice of dissent and no one takes me seriously

Groovecake

Orange is the color of evil!!

Post by Groovecake » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:30 pm

Last night I was working with Live and recorded some two bar audio loops. Upon recording, they showed up correctly and played correctly - 2.0.0. I decided to just use the 2nd bar of the loop and...low and behold, when I moved the loop markers to the beginning of beat 2 and the start of beat 3...the loop showed up as 0.3.3.
The interesting thing I noticed that I am not sire if anyone has pointed out in this thread is that the last number "3" was ORANGE. I was able to reproduce this fairly consistantly.

Another expirament I did was to take a two bar loop and purposely set the loop markers to 1.3.3. You could visually see that the loop wasn't complete - in other words, it looked like 1.3.3. All the numbers were black. Then, I drug the right end of the loop marker over to the end of the loop to make it two bars...and I got 1.3.3 but with the last "3" in ORANGE.

I sent all this info along with screen captures to Alex. Hopefully this will help them troubleshoot.

Orange = evil :evil:

jasefos

Re: Orange is the color of evil!!

Post by jasefos » Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:36 pm

This problem is getting really annoying ... doesn't matter if I'm cutting live quantised loops in Session View from incoming inputs (e.g. microphones, synths, electribes) or even resampling from one channel into another with Resampling as the input.

I'm using a Yamaha 01X.

Could this be the 01X's ASIO driver (MLan tools driver 1.5.4) input/output latency being reported as different. For a while this was a cause of misalignment problems with Cubase SX3.02 and Nuendo 3.02 ..

I was hoping L5.03 would rectify this but alas no ...
REALLY hoping it is sorted in L5.04 (when? ... :] .... )

Cheers
JaseFOS

-Live10.1 |Push2|Maschinemk2|KeyLab61|LaunchPad|MCUpro|MCExt|MCExt|iPad2|TouchABLE2
-Mac Pro 5.1 (dual hex core Xeon 3.46gHz, 28Gb RAM) running MacOS 10.13.6
-Universal Audio Apollo Quad (firewire)
-SHITLOADS OF HARDWARE SYNTHS

pacific_2096

Post by pacific_2096 » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:44 am

Hi

I am also having a problem with loop recording cutting off before the quantise setting says it should. In my case, it is when I either disarm or unmonitor the track, in preparation for recording / monitoring the next track. It is more fully described in the topic

Please use rounding for un-arming tracks

in the features wishlist section.

Does this sound like it relates to the problems you guys are describing?

Very frustrating anyway, because in many senses Live rocks. I am a trial user of Live 6, and if this issue was fixed, I would be down the shop tomorrow to buy, and on stage pretty soon I reckon.

I'm using an 01X too, but I don't see how the arming / monitoring state would be affected by hardware sync - in all other areas sync seems AOK.

Cheers, Tim