Tried Cubase...and I humbly apologize

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
shtreimel

Tried Cubase...and I humbly apologize

Post by shtreimel » Thu Dec 29, 2005 8:31 pm

A few posts back I complained that Ableton's lack of video sync feature was a decision to move over to Cubase for future documentary projects. I can't tell you how frustrating, boring, and uninspiring it's been to work within Cubase. Little things you want to do take a long time. Way too many options...windows...features...Ugggh. Abe makes me wanna compose, Cubase contributes to my procrastination habits. Arrrrgh.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:44 pm

yes, exactly.

i've never used cubase, but that is how i feel about digital performer and logic.

programs like DP or logic (and i imagine cubase) are like really fancy swiss army knives. It seems really cool that they have all these gadjets, but then you end up hurting your fingers pulling out the tiny screwdriver or scissors. All you really needed to achieve 99% of the tasks you got the thing for is a really sharp and well made knife (live).

i can see using em for tracking and editing bands, but not for writing. no way.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:18 am

shtreimel - I kind of feel you but peep this

MarkH has been helping me out with some links and what not which have totally helped me get my head around Cubase

the key I think is to learn and make your own key commands - super time saver and you can just keep flowing the way you do in Live

Not that I'm saying you should use Cubase because since I've gotten Cubase I've done more stuff in LIVE (DOH)

but if you got it, might as well take some time to learn how to use it (if you want to)

I kind of rotate from day to day - I'm working on a techno project with my brother in arms Dj Roman in Live right now - but in the down time I'm working on my own stuff in Cubase so I can be a master, jedi Master DJ MUTHAFUCKIN ADONIS BIOTCH! WHAT!

no, really - it's cool to know how to use them both

and you can rewire Ableton into Cubase but in my honest opinion that's REDUNDANT as "fjwdovbidj"

but if you're new to the game and you really don't have time to learn 8 different programs stick with LIVE - you'll get alot of mileage out of it, for realzzzz

now I just want a big record deal that takes me to the same place the women in my dreams are :lol:

later

ad
Last edited by djadonis206 on Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

scifish

Post by scifish » Fri Dec 30, 2005 12:24 am

you are totally right. i used to produce with cubase long time ago and it was very annoying. took ages for composing cool beats and was far more inconsistent when reopening songs made before (lost the synth patches i made for any specific song). since i also tried reason and fruityloops, i can say live really is the best and most inspiring software at the moment. fruityloops inspired me, too, but i always hated the ugly interface and the sound was muddy in no time, and as i finished another really cool and bashing techhouse track today, i am even more convinced 8)

best regards,
martin

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:29 am

It's a pain, but for certain writers/producers/etc it is essential. It's cross platform (something sonar/logic/dp can't do) and is a standard, meaning you can swap files pretty easily.

I don't use it because for my "finished" product, I use protools...........it's actually easier to use in some ways.......ok.........I'll move on.

I think live is close. All software has bugs, but the workflow is really nice and its a kick ass scratchpad.........with lot's of trimmings.

In the feature request area, video IS something I see allot........I don't personally need it. The other popular requests
-multiple meter/time support
-instant rendering
-selection of auto warping on/off w/o having to do follow actions

Oh........theres too many but with the implimentation of these........this program will be VERY hard to beat :)

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:07 am

no need to apologize.. as one should not disregard any tool without becoming intimate with it first.

once you spend a couple of years working on Cubase, you will come to appreciate some of it's finer attributes.

personally i quite like it except for the way it handles window behaviour, and how bubble gum it looks.

in the longrun, found myself switching to Pro Tools as i like the precision in there... will someday get myself a HD system so i don't have the limitations of LE and won't have to rely on other studios to do more complex mixdowns etc.. but I've FINISHED more tracks in Cubase than any other software.

djshiva

Post by djshiva » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:26 am

djadonis206 wrote:
I kind of rotate from day to day - I'm working on a techno project with my brother in arms Dj Roman in Live right now - but in the down time I'm working on my own stuff in Cubase so I can be a master, jedi Master DJ MUTHAFUCKIN ADONIS BIOTCH! WHAT!
totally OT: tell roman to hit a bitch up!

i have no contact info for him right now!
http://www.soundcloud.com/djshiva
http://www.facebook.com/djshivamusic
http://sapphicbeats.blogspot.com

Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo / OSX / 2Gb RAM / Ableton Live 8 / Akai LPD8/LPK25

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:41 am

sweetjesus wrote:no need to apologize.. as one should not disregard any tool without becoming intimate with it first.

once you spend a couple of years working on Cubase, you will come to appreciate some of it's finer attributes.

personally i quite like it except for the way it handles window behaviour, and how bubble gum it looks.

in the longrun, found myself switching to Pro Tools as i like the precision in there... will someday get myself a HD system so i don't have the limitations of LE and won't have to rely on other studios to do more complex mixdowns etc.. but I've FINISHED more tracks in Cubase than any other software.
I understand the "precision" you talk of in protools :)

headquest

Post by headquest » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:08 am

Totally agree about Cubarse. I have had to learn/use/teach it in the past. Hate it - so uninspiring it makes me want to chop one of my legs off out of sheer boredom.

Having said that I recently got myself Sonar 5 PE, which I am enjoying a lot more. It's certainly another Swiss Army Knife (love that comparison!), but it is fairly easy to learn and includes some inspiring instruments and effects.

I will probably use Sonar for multitrack audio stuff - recording music that already exists. But I definitely prefer Ableton Live as a composing environment. It is just SO MUCH more fun than anything else I have tried (possible exception Reason).
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud

Cryptic UK

Re: Tried Cubase...and I humbly apologize

Post by Cryptic UK » Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:28 am

shtreimel wrote:A few posts back I complained that Ableton's lack of video sync feature was a decision to move over to Cubase for future documentary projects. I can't tell you how frustrating, boring, and uninspiring it's been to work within Cubase. Little things you want to do take a long time. Way too many options...windows...features...Ugggh. Abe makes me wanna compose, Cubase contributes to my procrastination habits. Arrrrgh.
BOLLOCKS!

mosca

Post by mosca » Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:03 am

i used cubase for years then when live can out i binned it.

for one it had far too many features on it that i thought i'd never use but then it turned out that live had them but made them all a lot easier to access and understand.

cubase has a place in my heart but i ould never go back

dont make me go back!

mosca

CWoodOne

Post by CWoodOne » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:04 pm

However, there's dual processor/dual core support in Cubase - as well as, score and notation features, sort of. Well, sort of. :lol:

CWoodOne

Post by CWoodOne » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:06 pm

It Ableton had score/notation, plus multiple processor support and video, it would definitely rule the DAW world right now.

Reaktor + Kontakt + RME Multiface and some mikes, and that would be about it for now...

:wink:

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:16 pm

CWoodOne wrote:It Ableton had score/notation, plus multiple processor support and video, it would definitely rule the DAW world right now.

Reaktor + Kontakt + RME Multiface and some mikes, and that would be about it for now...

:wink:
yeah theyd have to get the midi right first beacuse its practically non existent at the minute compared to cubase which has better midi on the atari version.

lots of simple stuff missing.

headquest

Post by headquest » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:25 pm

Cryptic UK wrote: yeah theyd have to get the midi right first beacuse its practically non existent at the minute compared to cubase which has better midi on the atari version.

lots of simple stuff missing.
What MIDI stuff is missing that you would particularly like to see in Live?
iMac Retina 4K 3.3Ghz i7, 16Gb RAM
Live Suite 9.7.1 + Reason 9.1 + Pianoteq 5 + Sibelius 8.5

Listen on Soundcloud