M-Audio Firewire 410 with Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Guest77

M-Audio Firewire 410 with Live

Post by Guest77 » Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:11 am

Just wanted to let you guys know that I'm officially in possession of the Firewire 410 and have just tested it on both my 667 Mhz Titanium (OSX) and on my 3.06 Ghz PC (XP) and the thing ROCKS! No latency (that I can notice) really nice sound quality, very nicely done routing options through it's control panel, firewire bus powered (Mac only apparently) and it looks cool (compared to other M-Audio products)!

Definitely the best product M-Audio has put out (finally!) and the drivers were much easier to install than their previous products. I think this will be a nice option for those Powerbook users that use Live "live" (you can route the pre-listen to any of the 8 analog or 2 digital outputs).

:D

jamm

Post by jamm » Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:24 am

Boy, when i read this i am glad i waited a such
long time for this thing to come!
-Does the powerbook also feeds the 410 when you work on the batteries? -And how is the quality of the preamp?

Greetinz Jamm

bioroid

Post by bioroid » Sat Aug 30, 2003 3:48 pm

I'm a a PC guy but I have been waiting for the Firewire 410 to come out for a long time. Mine should be arriving next week and I cannot wait. It is going to replace a few pieces of my gear.

bioroid

Guest77

Post by Guest77 » Sat Aug 30, 2003 4:51 pm

I wiil be testing the Pre Amps today and, hmm, didn't try the battery test (to see if it will power the 410) so I will try that today as well... will let you know the results!

:)

scotty

Post by scotty » Sat Aug 30, 2003 6:58 pm

Anyone know if m-audio will release something similar to the 410 but with more analog audio inputs? Kinda like the (2|6, 6|2) switcheroo... give me the quattro (and possibly add a couple more inputs and outputs) in a firewire version and I'm set. The 410 does look sweet though...

-scotty

jamm

Post by jamm » Sat Aug 30, 2003 7:27 pm

Okay, i am very interested in the test resultst guest77

Greetinz Jamm :wink:

SongCarver

Post by SongCarver » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:03 am

guest77,

does it actually have 4 analogue inputs, or just 2 analogue and 2 digital?

cheers
K

Lucas

Post by Lucas » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:42 am

Just picked one up at guitar center today, and im having a hell of a time getting it to work without pops and clicks in os9 havent tried osx yet. Ah man im gonna be so upset if i just spent $400 bucks on another junk product. Ill keep this post updated with my progress.

lso

Guest77

Post by Guest77 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:01 am

FYI Lucas... Pops and Clicks are not due to 'junk' product, it is usually due to sytem resources on your computer and it can be adjusted by raising the ASIO buffer size either within the sound card's control panel, or within your audio software... Raise it too high and you will get latency or a delay.

To SongCarver: There are 4 analog inputs (two [mic] XLR/Nutrix on front, two [line] in's on the back but you choose which ones you use) two digital inputs (both coax and toslink) two firewire ports, midi in and out, 8 analog out and two digital outs (again, coax and toslink) and very nicely done routing through the 410's Control Panel.

I've had no pops or clicks or latency or any sort of bad sound quality running on a fairly slow Mac (667 Mhz Powerbook, 512 MB ram, OS 10.2.6) using Live, Reason, Vokator, iTunes, etc.

Still haven't had a chance to test out the Mic Pres... been out all day...will test tomorrow (Sunday).

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:07 pm

guest77
im not new to this man. believe me i know all about latency, and i know that this device wouldnt perform with out pops and clicks even at the highest latencey setting with one simple loop playing. i removed every single extension that wast requrired to run live and the 410. I got the same results on osx. dont insult me man. im taking my 410 back today. so how much are maudio paying you?

lso

Post by guest » Sun Aug 31, 2003 4:50 pm

Posted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:07 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"im not new to this man. believe me i know all about latency, and i know that this device wouldnt perform with out pops and clicks even at the highest latencey setting with one simple loop playing. i removed every single extension that wast requrired to run live and the 410. I got the same results on osx. dont insult me man. im taking my 410 back today. so how much are maudio paying you? "

some people get insulted very fast.

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 31, 2003 5:44 pm

Honestly, I smelled a rat too. The VERY FIRST guy to talk about this thing has absolutely nothing bad to say? Now I can say I've seen everything.
This guy also seems to have a lot of time to answer questions, considering he just bought an awesome, flawless soundcard....

Guest77

Post by Guest77 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:54 pm

You people are f*cking idiots! You want to now accuse ME just becasue I didn't have any problems with the sound card and I TRIED to help someone else out... Just because HE got insulted... and yeah, obviously he IS an idiot because I see too much f*cking complaining and accusing on this board between people who have no clue what the f*ck they're talking about!!!

I have been doing music and working with this type of equipment before most of you brats were even born, and everytime I see some @sswipe complain about something, they want to immediately blame it on the M-Audio this or the Live version that instead of making sure it's not something THEY did wrong or something messed up in their system!

I do work tech support for a completely unrelated (competitor) company so I DO know what I'm talking about because we get these exact same questions and they are almost ALWAYS user error or bad system configurations (think about it, if for example M-Audio's stuff is so bad why is it that it works on 90% of the systems out there? Do you think they would still be in business if their stuff didn't work on anyones system? IDIOTS!!!)

... and because I do work in the industry I have connections to try out everyones devices, so NO they are not paying me, I should be slamming them because they are our competitors, but I try to be fair and honest; and then some stupid, f*ucking spoiled little brat has to come along and slam ME for trying to help!? SCREW YOU!!!

The guy whose taking the 410 back is going to get some other card and go to that companies message board and complain about the same thing and say their products are sh*t and these type of people do nothing but complain on boards ALL DAY! I'm very rarely on here, but I noticed a couple of people asking questions about this card and I just happened to get one that day so I thought I'd put forth my info... but no more, you f*ckheads can go ahead and throw the sh*t back and forth on these forums all day long and get nothing accomplished while I'll go and actually ENJOY my new toy!

:evil:

Guest77

Post by Guest77 » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:00 pm

...and another thing, to prove my point further, the idiot right above my last comment who said:

"The VERY FIRST guy to talk about this thing has absolutely nothing bad to say?"

...you see what I mean! You people are just EXPECTING to hear bad things about something from that company or maybe just about anything because you have such poor pathetic lives, because nothing ever works right for you... and instead of taking responsibility and trying to discover the TRUE source of the problem, you want to lash out at the easiest target (in this case M-Audio, or me, or Live, etc.)

You people need to grow up and get a life!

lucas

Post by lucas » Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:00 pm

ok i have an ibook 600. I run live in os9. I optimized the system by removing every uneeded extension. I did eveything short of reformating and reinstalling. I also defragged the harddrive. I still could not get stable resualts. I mean I want this thing to work soooo bad. It sounds so fantastic (besides the crackles) Its really quiet too. When i use live i record live loops of other instruments on stage, i do this with the built in sound and an imic. I can get a lot done this way but the sound quality is shit. when i tried this with the 410 i got a awfull noise. when it was done the recording sounded great, but it doesnt really matter because of the noise that was created. I tired every single buffer setting. Its really weird, because when the setting is 64 samples it sounds ok besides every loop or so it cracks. if i take the buffer up to 2048 samples it wont even play! pure noise comes out. even with just one small sample loop playing and no effects. i also tried the other sample rates. it wont even play at 9600. its all noise. It also increases the cpu load by about 10 on my ibook. I tried disabling all of the outputs but one and two, still no better. I mean whats going on here the system specs say a 500 g3 i have a 600 g3 with 640mb of ram. Why are they lying to us? Really seems like a huge corporation that doesnt really give a shit about the quality of their products to me. Im gonna give it another try tonight, but my hopes are dwindling. I have to assume its the drivers though. I just hope it gets taken care of before i take it back. If anyone has any advice please let me know.

lso