Back to Arrangement messing up my mix

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
stinky

Back to Arrangement messing up my mix

Post by stinky » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:14 pm

I don't get it. It's driving me crazy. I'm having a problem where i'll play my set that i've already recorded, and at bar 5.3.1, the back to arrangement button pops on and my mix will be completely messed up when i render. I can't be the only having this problem, and it's driving me batty. There's no way to disable automation for the back to arrangement button (and i haven't mapped it to any midi controls)... Any ideas.

stinky

Post by stinky » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:21 pm

I just wanted to be a little clearer so anyone can understand. I recorded a mix, a set of tracks. Now, what's happening when i render is, one channel completely stays at a certain volume, like -16dB, while the other, the automation is working. I don't get it. I'm in the arrangement view. I setup the Loop recording region, and around 5.3.1 the Back to Arrangement button pops up, and the volume stays at that level, when it should be rising slowly to 0dB. This i whether I render or play. So, when i play, i'll click the Back to Arrangement button after it pops up, and the volume adjusts to where it's supposed to be, but the light pops on again. I've already created a new song file and recreated the entire mix (1hr and 10 min) because I was having this same problem, and I didn't realize it was because of the Back to Arrangement button, until I noticed it pop on... and i'm pretty sure it's the cause of this mess. The original song file, it was side a that was giving me the problem, and now it's side b. There's gotta be something i'm doing wrong, and someone that's had the same issue. I don't want to have to recreate the whole mix again, just to have this problem happen again... Someone has had to come across this same problem. Thanks in advance.

stinky

Post by stinky » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:25 pm

ok, now i'm starting to get freaked, because this totally doesn't make sense to me...

I opened a brand new song file. Created an audio track, deleted the midi track, and recorded about 8 bars of automation from an mp3 file, from the session view into arrangement. When i played back, as soon as the automation started, the back to arrangement button appeared, and no automation was playing back.

Now, here's the thing. I tried the whole procedure again (with a new song file) and it didn't happen, until about the 10th time recording.

I finally pegged it to using a midi slider, instead of the mouse for automation. Obviously, this is a big problem for me. I first tested using the mouse for automation, and it wasn't happening. Everytime I played back the recording, the automation would play, and the Back to Arrangement button would never light up. But... As soon as i assigned a midi slider to the volume, and used that for automation, when i finish recording, the Back to Arrangement button lights up. When i click it so it doesn't light up, then play the recording, the Back to Arrangement button lights up as soon as the automation starts for the track.

At that point, it doesn't matter whether I use the mouse or midi for automation, because the problem keeps presenting itself. If I open up a new .als and start from scratch, i don't have the problem until i try to do automation with the midi slider (or knob)again...

Soooooo

Here's the jist of it. I'm having problems doing automation with my midi controller. Never had a problem before, but i just updated to 5.0.3. That may not be the problem, but it sure feels like it. I updated for the arpeggiator bug, but if i'm having a problem like this, i might just retrograde.

Finally, my question to you all is, can anyone else reproduce this? Or, has anyone else experienced this? If there's something i'm doing wrong, and should be doing differently, then i'd like to know. Thanks in advance for any help.

stinky

Post by stinky » Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:46 am

Sorry to keep replying to myself, but i really want to get this sorted, so i want to make it easy for anybody to be able to help me out. I found this in the forum, and it sounds exactly like my problem....

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic. ... er+problem

Thanks.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Jan 08, 2006 7:02 am

maybe your controller is leaking midi info? so the program always thinks you are changing the value even when you're not touching the slider?

try recording the automation, then disconnect the controller in the midi mapping. then see if the RTA light still comes on when you play it back.

stinky

Post by stinky » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:27 pm

Genius!!!!! But, it wasn't my midi controller that was leaking. I had virtual midi, ala Yoke, enabled in my preferences. Evidently, they were the cause of the midi leakage, which was interfering with my mix. Once I disabled them in preferences, i was able to play the whole mix set back without the BTA button flashing on. I could even have my midi controller enabled, just not the virtual mids.

Just to be clear, i did a little more testing. It wasn't all the virtual mids, just one I had configured in a LoopBack by accident. Like, both On and Remote were enabled on both the Input and Outputs section.

Thanks m8... problem definitely solved....

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sun Jan 08, 2006 4:47 pm

cool :)

bray

Post by bray » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:41 pm

hi i just got directed to this thread. i am having what i think might be a similar problem. but i don't run a midi yoke. i am trying to layer various automation recordings over a clip. while using resonator, i do a pass while recording midi-mapped pitch pot number 2. i finish that and go back and want to overdub-record midi-mapped pitch pot 3 ( i am working in the arrangement view so i can see my envelopes while i record them) and keep the envelope that i recorded for pot 2.
each time a put the arrangement into record mode to record new automation, i lose the automation from the previous pass on the other parameter.
what i would like to do is keep each parameter automation, layer other parameter automation and go back and edit the envelopes to refine the timing....
i ran the clip once in record mode just to see what was going on, and watched as a new, flat, automaiton envelope drew over my old recorded one. it was like pot 2 was still sending info.
i am using an edirol pcr 30 via usb straight into live and using the knobs on the pcr 30 to control the knobs on the resonator. . i don't think i am using virtual midi (i don't know what it is).
do i have to un-map each knob after a pass? that would be a bummer.
thanks for any help....

bray

auto_moment

same here ...sorted

Post by auto_moment » Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:10 pm

stinky wrote:Genius!!!!! But, it wasn't my midi controller that was leaking. I had virtual midi, ala Yoke, enabled in my preferences. Evidently, they were the cause of the midi leakage, which was interfering with my mix. Once I disabled them in preferences, i was able to play the whole mix set back without the BTA button flashing on. I could even have my midi controller enabled, just not the virtual mids.

Just to be clear, i did a little more testing. It wasn't all the virtual mids, just one I had configured in a LoopBack by accident. Like, both On and Remote were enabled on both the Input and Outputs section.

Thanks m8... problem definitely solved....
Thanks 4 that!! yeah same problem but disabled virtual remote(maplemidi)in prefs..Looks like thats it....I was getting mid feedback too even though no tracks sending /recieving.