somewhat off topic - HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALBERT HOFFMAN! 100!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
henry ford

somewhat off topic - HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALBERT HOFFMAN! 100!

Post by henry ford » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:29 am

good old albert is 100 today, to some he is inextricably linked with their musical/acoustic experience. Anyone who's auraly halucinated thanks to lsd knows what I'm talking about.

hip hip - hoo ray!

http://www.hofmann.org/

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:06 am

I'm awfully glad he DIDN'T think he was a bird and try to fly out the window... yadda yadda... moral panic etc....
Robert Henke wrote:What`s wrong with LSD ?

Robert
Ableton
There it is folks.

Happy Birthday Albert!

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:16 am

hehe , but as bill hicks pointed out, why didnt those guys try and take off from the ground ? You dont see ducks taking elevators to fly south...

hoho!

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:21 am

Happy Birthday Albert!!!!!!!!

In my early years his problem child helped sculpt me into the happy,functioning,system dropout I am today.

Thanks Al!

Last edited by D DAS on Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:23 am

Ahhh...... now I have done a lot of drugs in my time. i can safely say more than many people I know. Now, I got clean a little over six years ago and have not drank or been high since. And, amazingly enough I really don't miss it.

But, the only drug that I sometimes get nostaigic about is LSD. It was an amazing experience, in moderation. But unfortunately I could never do anyything in moderation. Once, I got a sheet of lsd, a hundred hits, for $65.00. The guy gave it to me and said "give me the $65.00 later". This was a steal and a guaranteed profit because at the time LSD was going for $5.00 a hit. So at .65 a hit for a hundred hits its a sure thing, you can't lose money right?

Wrong. I lost money ($65.00 to be exact) and ate most of the sheet myself. I started tripping everyday and eventually got up to taking 16 hits at a time. Tripping became "normal" to me, like doing bong hits in the morning had once been. I think I sold maybe 15 hits and gave away about 10.

Tripping was never the same for me after that. Neither was I.

:P

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:25 am

D DAS wrote:Happy Birthday Albert!!!!!!!!

woooooo..... I looked at that and immediately got that funny feeling in my stomach, that strychnine feeling you used to get when taking blotter........

wierd!

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:36 am

heh , I'm glad to say that I've never charged someone for LSD. profits from MDMA covered the costs....anyways...lsd, my favourite stuff was shiva, originated in amsterdam but I took it in barcelona. Magical place to trip man, some of the best street art in the world...and the alleys in gotica are so narrow, its like walking around in a cartoon with eye-candy paint flowing off the walls, and seeing peoples bone. like seeing their x-rays super-imposed over their skin.

How heavily have you tripped ? One time, I was just sitting and thinking in a really long bathroom , kind of like a hallway with a toilet at the end of it. We had painted the door Red around the frames, and Blue in the panels. I got this idea into my head that the room was underwater, Suddenly the blue panels became windows , and it was water rushing up against the glass...bubbles , and next seaweed...like holy shit actual brown seaweed rushing past , next thing The room tilted , and everything came together to make that experience real...the sound- I could hear the room turn, the vision- I could see how fast and in what direction the water and weeds were rushing past the window, and the feeling, I actually felt like I was moving and fell forwards off the toilet seat.

lots of stories.....lots of insight. Hip Hip Hooray!

D K

Post by D K » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:47 am

back inn the day (for me)
i remember purple gells, and this great stuff called gooney bird...
big gooney bird printed on blotter paper,,,came wet in the mail.
really great, almost as good as the liquid.
i learned music on acid, have tripped probably literally over 1000 times over 20 years.. (don't do it anymore)...for years i toured eating acid and playing in improv bands (don't get the wrong idea, i dislike deadheads and that music scene)...
music theory unfolded itself to me while on acid...and a few other things... luckily i'm still a reasonably balanced, productive human being.
i know a few who didn't survive it, though.
probaby due to other things in the mix.
anywho,
happy birthday albert!
and thank you!

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:56 am

Well, the furthest out I have ever been was once while on some blotter called "around the world", it was supposedly double dipped. I took two hits with a bunch of friends and we also smoked a joint which had ben dipped in pcp (that probably did not help).

Well, a lot of serious halucinations that night, but the furthest it went was when I was sitting in my friends room. he was "flipping out" as they say, talking a lot of gibberish. i was assigned to be "ground control" because noone else wanted to be around him so i was supposed to be watching over him. Now that I think of it maybe we were both flipping out and that was how they got rid of both of us.

I ceased to hear him, or anything. I could not even see. Suddenly all I saw was the universe all around me. It was like I was at one with my soul, which was like this ball of light floating through space. I was inside of it looking out and I could see in every direction at once. It was like I was omnipotent, looking through the eyes of god or something. All around me was infinite space, clouds, and lightning.

Yeah, thats the furthest out I have ever been. Full blown hallucinations that night. No idea how long I stayed that way but when I came back to earth my buddy was on about something I couldn't understand so I got up and went outside. He ended up going to the hospital. He would have been fine but he was convinced one of his teeth had grown as big as his head so he woke his parents up and told them why he thought he needed to go to the dentist. his dad was like "what the hell are you on" so he told them, LSD. They drove hm to the hospital and pumped him full of valume.
Last edited by smutek on Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:58 am

But one of the coolest times was when I could play guitar. Mind you, I have never been able to play a guitar, but this night i actually got to experience what it would be like to just sit and play with the skill of say, Carlos Santana, or Hendrix, thanks to LSD. it was awesome. What it really sounded like I could not tell you.

musick

Post by musick » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:02 am

smutek wrote:
D DAS wrote:Happy Birthday Albert!!!!!!!!

woooooo..... I looked at that and immediately got that funny feeling in my stomach, that strychnine feeling you used to get when taking blotter........

wierd!
This one looks very familiar to me :)

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:09 am

haha,

in barcelona on the shiva , I saw the sky as a piece of canvas merely painted in the sky colours...it was only a few feet above our heads, with this mechanical kind of cacophony coming from just above it. Looking down the alley I could see people window shopping, and they would go from one side of the alley to the other...and I could hear them like little voices in my ear, murmuring....but time would fast-forward then move in slow motion, so they would zip to the other side of the street in one long streak of a tracer - with their murmurs being fastforwarded too, and the opposite for slow motion. was wicked , stared at that for a while. Also , I had to run a distraction mission with my friends housemate - while they left, they didnt want him to know they were tripping where-as I could care less. anyways , he was barechest just out of bed and sitting at a breakfast bar eating his food, so i eyeballed him and tried my best to make small talk. Meanwhile , that leonardo da vinci picture of the dude standing with his arms outstretched in a circle was on the right of his chest , and on the left in the same kind of brown ink was an image of some mechanical wheels and cogs which were moving , all in this kind of sepia color that the original sketch is in, not only that it was shooting a sepia colored light right out of his chest and I could perceive glare....but i still kept eye contact , but i really wanted to stare at his chest cos when I see these things, they dont disappear ... like sometimes you know when your eyes are out of focus and you think you see something ? so when you look at it it vanishes....anyways that doesnt happen to me with lsd...heh oh ya , what I meant to say....on that same trip I was lying down and I was looking at the ceiling , and suddenly i was looking up at a dentists light - or at least thats what I think it was , and i could hear a drill inside my head. like being at a dentist. I kept looking hoping to have a fully fledged vision of being in a dentists office , but could only see the light. sometimes I try to recreate the sound coming from above the canvas sky, I come pretty close sometimes

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:10 am

more memories for all you squid heads

err_fatale

Post by err_fatale » Wed Jan 11, 2006 7:37 am

99% of my friends that did way too much acid got fukked in the head by it, one dude even went COMPLETELY schizophrenic after taking it TWICE...he was totally normal before.......night and day difference.....sad.....
Last edited by err_fatale on Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:13 am

from here on the mountains don't get any higher, the valleys just get deeper and deeper....

the further in you go, the bigger it gets....

or something like that.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o