strange story about autechre - untilted

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
clipperer

strange story about autechre - untilted

Post by clipperer » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:24 am

theres something mystial going on about some tracks from that album. i remember i listened to it in the summer time and a bit later and all was cool then i deleted it from hd. then after a while downloaded and listened again. but some tracks werent the same anymore .. especially ipacial section and iera and some others . i contrastly felt/heard a difference the tracks werent the same. melodyes and the whole constructions were different. i remember there was a kinda 'voice synth' in ipacial section [ i quess now, dont remember correctly which songs it was ] and it sounded like 'e -- kuishta-do-tia-to. e ..' and in iera song was made of 2 parts first part was drum programming and second was melody line and 2 parts were sidechained together and the beat was like over sounding through the melody and vise versa...i dont know what hapenned. i downloaded the album over and over again but the tracks werent the same. maybe any of you know whats up with this ?
Last edited by clipperer on Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:36 am

dimensional slide, you moved a few dimensions along. Happens all the time - normally you can't notice.

Many worlds interpretation of quantum physics

either that or the ancestor simulation is breaking down.
simulation argument

I just love the simulation argument myself and who's to say the ancestor simulation cant have super-position and so also incorporate MWI?

henry ford

Post by henry ford » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:27 am

perhaps it was re-realised and altered at the same time. perhaps autechre werent pleased with the first release.

or maybe its a miracle ?

chis

Post by chis » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:18 am

There are no melodies on this album. It's just drums, drums, more drums, glitch glitch glitch max/msp wank. Everything after Confield/Gantz Graf has been like this. Rubbish.

[a.c]

Post by [a.c] » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:28 am

Have to agree chis, Confield was the last Ae album I was into. Draft 7.30 was just not there at all for me as a beats/glitch or experimental album. Untilted is just meh. As far as I know its all hardware for sound sources according to a interview with Ae.

As far as Untilted sounding different, who knows. I got that with a few albums but mostly the change in listening prespective was due to experience enchancements.

:wink:

chis

Post by chis » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:48 am

Hey I've always quite enjoyed their earlier stuff, but mostly because they combined creative drum programming with GOOD MELODIES (e.g. Acroyear). Although I can quite understand why producers would find their newest stuff fascinating, as music it leaves me cold.

aex1

Post by aex1 » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:09 pm

I remember there was a copy of the album floating around before its official release. this unofficial version was not idental to the final one, mabye this is the difference you are talking about?
live6, ibookg4, osx 10.4.11, nordmodular, virus, electribe sx,
www.axelebert.com

clipperer

Post by clipperer » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:42 pm

aex1 wrote:I remember there was a copy of the album floating around before its official release. this unofficial version was not idental to the final one, mabye this is the difference you are talking about?
maybe, but how to get that copy

clipperer

Post by clipperer » Sat Jan 14, 2006 1:55 pm

hm.. that 'offical' release isnt that cool but that other release i heard before is waaaaaay brutalisticher .. i remember there was a kinda 'voice synth' in ipacial section and it sounded kinda like 'e -- kuishta-do-tia-to.e ..' maaaaan how could i delete that version of album..... and in iera there was a melody, yea i now remember./.. iera the song was like made of 2 parts first part was drum programming and second was melody line and 2 parts were sidechained together and the beat was like oversounding through the melody...

jbible

Post by jbible » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:33 pm

The first leaked copy was actually music by another artist trying to dupe people and then in the end promote his own music. Therefore I will not say his name.

But I completely disagree that there are no melodies on Untilted. But I can see how one might think that by only listening on the surface. The melodies are in the subtleties. Listen to it uncompressed and very loudly...compression kills all the details of the transients. The album is quite amazing IMO.

clipperer

Post by clipperer » Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:36 pm

first time i heard it it was autechre im pretty sure. cause not all songs were different

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:16 pm

chis wrote:There are no melodies on this album. It's just drums, drums, more drums, glitch glitch glitch max/msp wank. Everything after Confield/Gantz Graf has been like this. Rubbish.

only partially true. There are melodic elements buried way deep in the mix.

and yeah, it's not as appealing to me as the old AE, but it's WAY better than anything else confield and later. At least the beats are dancable again. And when they toured, they used no computers, so im not so sure it's max/msp wankery.

fwiw, untilted and the live show for that tour, was the best thing they've done in quite some time (imo). I hated confeild....

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:35 pm

chis wrote:There are no melodies on this album. It's just drums, drums, more drums, glitch glitch glitch max/msp wank. Everything after Confield/Gantz Graf has been like this. Rubbish.
actually most of it is Elektron MachineDrum wank. like they do live. But you're right it sounds the same. Allthough a better version of the same ...

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:41 pm

i dunno, max/msp just has this certain sound quality (or lack thereof, rather) that isn't present on ae stuff. At least ae's sound design is still tight.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:08 pm

Listen to Plaid instead...
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.