hi i'm new and i need some help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
zazamoth

hi i'm new and i need some help

Post by zazamoth » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:05 pm

Hi I am new here, how are you all ?

I could really do with some help, I am thinking about buying Live 5, but really it is a choice between that or Cubase SX . I currently have SE but I might have to upgrade, as I was wanting to purchase MOTU symphonic instrument, but I have been told that that would not work with SE and I don’t really want to give Steinberg anymore money as that haven’t been very nice ..to put it politely .

So could I ask you a couple of questions ?

Does anyone know if you can record MUTO Symphonic instrument in to Live 5, I think you can put it through rewire, but can you actually record the track directly in, in some way ,as this would be better for mixing. (I know with reason you can export a track out as audio and MIDI, then import it in to Cubase. can the same be done with live 5) because to be honest I am not really sure how the MOTU symphonic instrument would work with such a programme.

And how well does Live 5 handle recording live instruments such as Bass and guitar.

Any help would be great ..as I am really, really stuck and cant seem to get answers from anywhere

Thank you

Regards Gabe.

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:27 pm

download the demo and try it. I'm not familiar with that instrument.

I play guitar and use Live as a jam/practice tool. Watch the Kid Beyond video on this site, he's a beatboxer but he's able to:
1 - start a drum beat
2 - hit a footswitch
3 - record a loop
4 - stop recording via footswitch (but the loops still play)
5 - go to step 2 and repeat

All without pausing or stopping the music, pretty insane.

He explains his setup at the end of the video, he uses live in conjunction with a windows macro recorder on a laptop with a footswitch, mic, and audio interface box.

I haven't taken the time to set it up like Kid Beyond, I
1 - play a drum beat
2 - arm a track
3 - click record on a track
4 - wait during the count-in (1-2 measures)
5 - play a chord progression
6 - stop the recording
7 - form the loop to a sensible length (ie 8 measures instead of 7)
8 - then I just sit back and solo over myself, or add a piano part, or a bassline, whatever.

Guitar Rig works great with live also. ;)

zazamoth

Post by zazamoth » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:46 pm

HI there DeadlyKungFu, thanks for the Info. I have downloaded the demo version and i am have a play about with it just now. it seems like a really good package..if i can just find out about using stuff like the Motu symphonic then i think i will be buying this pretty quickly.

and thanks again for your help

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:00 pm

Good news! :)

The key to learning live is the help box in the lower left corner of the window. If it's not up, click on the upwards pointing triangle to bring it out.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:58 am

any audio coming in through rewire can be recorded easily. then you've got the .wav(s) and you can ditch the rewire connection if you like

zazamoth

Post by zazamoth » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:47 pm

Cool thanks man, i am just a little unsure about the whole Vst thing ..i havent used the format before, and i havent used vst's before and since i only have Cubase se and some of the bigger plug ins dont seem work..i have been told that MOTU symphonic def works in LIVE 5..i just dont know how to record it ..sorry i am a bit new to this..but if i can find out recording MSI into Live 5 then i will be heading straight to the shop to buy both!!

longjohns wrote:any audio coming in through rewire can be recorded easily. then you've got the .wav(s) and you can ditch the rewire connection if you like

udp

Post by udp » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:09 pm

Assuming you'll be using a keyboard controller, recording vsts or au or lives instruments is a one 2 click process. It's very easy for beginners and has available very flexible routing possibilities when you are more advanced and ready to really screw up your sounds. :) I've found the recording and routing process much easier to use than on cubase.
OS X.5 MacBook Core 2Duo 2.2ghz, 2Gig RAM Mackie Onyx 400F m-audio BX8's, Oxygen 8, Zoom H-4, Alesis Masterlink, Bitstream 3x
http://www.udpmusic.com

zazamoth

Post by zazamoth » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:32 pm

udp wrote:Assuming you'll be using a keyboard controller, recording vsts or au or lives instruments is a one 2 click process. It's very easy for beginners and has available very flexible routing possibilities when you are more advanced and ready to really screw up your sounds. :) I've found the recording and routing process much easier to use than on cubase.
Cheers udp, after the way Cubase messed me around, i just want to make sure i buying the right thing. I really want to Get the motu SI as it sounds amazing and the more i hear about Live 5 the more i like the sound of it. so if its that easy to record vst's i will be a very very happy bunny.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:38 pm

I have the MOTU MX4 synth plug-in and it works perfectly with Live. I've used it in compositions/recording with guitars + bass + drums in Live, as well as used it on stage.

I think this will be a relatively easy decision for ya!

zazamoth

Post by zazamoth » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:50 pm

Sales Dude McBoob wrote:I have the MOTU MX4 synth plug-in and it works perfectly with Live. I've used it in compositions/recording with guitars + bass + drums in Live, as well as used it on stage.

I think this will be a relatively easy decision for ya!
thanks man, it looks like i will be getting this then, as i really want the MOTU SI, i cant thank everyone anough for all their help, i have been on loads of other forums and things trying to get some help, and mostly people have ignored me. and from what i have been reading on here Live 5 sounds like a really good package..though i am not used to the interface yet. but if its as good as people are saying for recording live instruments and the Motu will work then it looks like this is the one for me...and thank god cubase SX3 is a little out of my price range just now.

so thank you again

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:55 pm

i dont mean to be a big bad wolf in an ableton forum, firstly i love Live and i think its brilliant, but - - -

zazamoth - have you considered cubase SL, its a lite version of SX, but because sx is such a big program, you probably wont notice the difference other than price.

I have SL.

Live and cubase btw are not what i consider to be comparable, 2 completely different fish.

zazamoth

Post by zazamoth » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:08 pm

yeah i had gave SL a little though but MOTU dont seem to think that SL would Run symphonic instrument, and i have found it really hard to get information on which system would be the best for me to use

wilxon wrote:i dont mean to be a big bad wolf in an ableton forum, firstly i love Live and i think its brilliant, but - - -

zazamoth - have you considered cubase SL, its a lite version of SX, but because sx is such a big program, you probably wont notice the difference other than price.

I have SL.

Live and cubase btw are not what i consider to be comparable, 2 completely different fish.

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:15 pm

SL is SX but with small features missing

on each channel strip you have 5 inserts and send instead of 8

there is no surround sound editing (but you can get round that with the use of kontakt 2 or by having 5 outputs)

and there is no video edit

about £200 cheaper

you can however run anything you can on SX on SL,

the manual that come has Cubase SX/SL on it and the only differences in the manual is when it says about "video SX Only" and "surround SX Only"

But Live 5 is a real good program.

If you ask me which one though, i would prob say SL if you are composing tracks alone

zazamoth

Post by zazamoth » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:18 pm

thank you wilxon, i will have a wee think about it, surround sound isnt really and issue for me at the moment.. mainly i just want something which means i can use MSI and record it.

wilxon

Post by wilxon » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:18 pm

also what audio interface or soundcard will you be using?