Some Ableton Live questions

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
toka

Some Ableton Live questions

Post by toka » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:55 pm

Hey!

Im been sitting with Ableton Live a few days now. Making my switch from Cubase SX to Ableton Live.

Its better GUI and less mouse clicking and everything is well organized. And i dont want too much features because i want to limit myself so Live is gonna be good for me.

I have a few questions about Live.

1.Where is the Effects sends in Live? I Only notice a Return.

2. If i want to work with midi clips in the arrange window. How do i do it?

I cant find any “create midi part” or something like that which is available in SX. In SX i just have to right click and create a midi part and start programming rhytms.

3. I have a question about Multi Out Vst instruments like Battery in Ableton Live. In SX when you launched Battery you automatically got all the channels for Battery in the SX mixer.

But how do i route Battery in Live in the mixer so i can work on each drum sound on each channel?

4. Which program do u use in Ableton to load drum samples and create drum grooves ? What is the easiest way?

I want to load in my drum samples and work on each separate drum sound.

5.How do i record VST synths in ableton?

Im just been discovering Live but it seems awesome so far.

regards / toka

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:25 pm

Check out the manual. It gets to it quickly. You can do a search in the PDF...

good luck and welcome.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:28 pm

1. send knobs are in each session track, above fader. there are switches (S & R) next to the master fader to show/hide sends and returns. you will only see as many send knobs as there are existing return tracks

2. drag a midi clip into arranagement from session (drag it onto the arrangement view icon), or record midi onto that track (?)

to create a midi clip, double click an empty clip slot on a midi track in session view

3. select the instrument on each track's audio from menu, then the output channels from the menu below

4. impulse. drag audio samples from the browser onto the 8 impulse channel boxes. then you can save the preset with all its sounds and settings

5. just record enable the audio tracks which are recieving the instruments. hit record in the transport.

sqook

Re: Some Ableton Live questions

Post by sqook » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:35 pm

toka wrote:1.Where is the Effects sends in Live? I Only notice a Return.
You can drag effects straight into a channel, or you can use the send/return mechanism (as you seem to have already discovered). The difference is that effects dropped directly into a track will replace the output signal from this track, whereas send/return effects will be added to the original signal (ie, you will still be able to hear the "clean" signal from the original track).
2. If i want to work with midi clips in the arrange window. How do i do it?
Simply double click on a midi clip in the arrange view, and you'll be able to edit it here. Keep in mind that live will still treat it like a loop, rather than a single midi sequence of notes.

To actually create a new midi sequence, go into the session view, and double click on any clip within a midi track. You will be given a midi editor there. You can drag blocks from between the two views while holding down the "tab" key.
3. I have a question about Multi Out Vst instruments like Battery in Ableton Live. In SX when you launched Battery you automatically got all the channels for Battery in the SX mixer.

But how do i route Battery in Live in the mixer so i can work on each drum sound on each channel?
I'm not exactly sure what the question is here, though I'm afraid to say that I believe live will automatically operate on stereo out, which means you won't be able to route each send to a different channel...
4. Which program do u use in Ableton to load drum samples and create drum grooves ? What is the easiest way?

I want to load in my drum samples and work on each separate drum sound.
I just use the 'impulse' which is live's drum machine. It's not perfect (for example, you can't control individual drum channel sends or effects), but it gets the job done.
5.How do i record VST synths in ableton?
Press the record button to arm for recording, and let 'er rip!

conny

Post by conny » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:00 pm

toka wrote:But how do i route Battery in Live in the mixer so i can work on each drum sound on each channel?
Have you tried..?
You should see this when exploring the routing of Battery in Live:

If the individual samples are applied to diferent out channels.

PS: You signature means " crazy woman" in Swedish..! :lol:

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:08 pm

2. drag a midi clip into arranagement from session (drag it onto the arrangement view icon), or record midi onto that track (?)

GRRRRRR - this is going into the Feature Wishlist!!!

You should be able to create a midi clip in the arrangement view

what ends up happening is I keep ending up with blank midi clips in session view I later have to clean up

Later

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

conny

Post by conny » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:55 pm

djadonis206 wrote:

Well, you can:
Select a track span, right click, "Insert Midi Clip" - !!
(Just discovered it...)

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:08 pm

conny wrote:
toka wrote:But how do i route Battery in Live in the mixer so i can work on each drum sound on each channel?
Have you tried..?
If the individual samples are applied to diferent out channels.

PS: You signature means " crazy woman" in Swedish..! :lol:

// C
dont forget to set the channel's monitor mode to "on" in order to allow the audio from battery to play through the track
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:07 pm

conny wrote:
djadonis206 wrote:

Well, you can:
Select a track span, right click, "Insert Midi Clip" - !!
(Just discovered it...)

// C
what, oh my god - this is why I participate - ARE YOU SERIOUS

now I have to wait 4 more hours until I go home and insert a midi clip in the arrange view AHHHHHH!!! OMG OH MY this is awesome

Thanks Conny - is that in the manual...not that I read it, or have ever read it - I think I read it once when I first bought the program back in '04

thanks again

now I have something to look forward to other than work
Ableton | Elektron

Music