Using Ableton as a Guitar Loop Pedal- HELP!

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
gregmcnichol

Post by gregmcnichol » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:08 pm

pbajzek wrote:
gregmcnichol wrote:
pbajzek wrote:I like Loopy Lama, but it can't go from record mode directly into overdub mode (at least it couldn't in the last version I tried). This is very important to the way I do live guitar looping. So I have been using SooperLooper, which was mentioned earlier. It basically mimics the behavior of the EDP and is, in my opinion, the best solution on a Mac right now. It's great stuff, though the GUI has some flaws as an AU.
What do u mean going from record to over dub mode? I have it set up where i hit a button on my floor board record a loop hit it again begin play back hit it again over dub another loop and so on. Scooperlooper seemed resource hungry
I mean when I reach the end of my "record" loop, I hit "overdub" and the loop immediately begins playing AND overdubbing at the same time (the Echoplex can work this way). That way I can have delays or sustained notes overlap the beginning of the original loop. If I have to hit "play" and then "Overdub" I will cut off my sustain or echoes. It's not needed so much if you're playing rhythm guitar, for example, but I like to make heavily effected droning soundscapes with no audible beginning/endpoints. I hope I've described this clearly.

Relinker: Perhaps you would consider this feature. I really do like your plugin, but this one thing has kept me from using it.

Ahh, thats a nice feature i'll email chris and request it, hes pretty good with requests
G4 iBook 1.25 gig RAM Tiger , Ableton Live 5, M-Audio Audiophiler Firewire, FCB1010

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:03 pm

MKS wrote:For looping with Ableton, try either Mobius for PC (www.zonemobius.com) or .

I was just downloading Mobius and my AV software registered a Trojan.

FWIW

MKS

Post by MKS » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:42 am

:o

What AV software? If you can send me details I'll pass them onto the Mobius developer (Jeff Larson). I've never seen that problem with Norton Internet Security and I'm pretty certain Mobius isn't malicious.

Erk...

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:08 pm

Hi,

Avast AV. Seemed wierd to me but anyway it said it was a Worm/Trojan,
sorry, but I didn't get the name of it, and I just cancelled the DL.

I was going to contact the developer but I got distracted, so if you want to go ahead with that it would be great.

Thanks,
CV

MKS

Post by MKS » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:56 pm

Jeff Larson, developer of Mobius, has confirmed that this is a known problem with Avast - that it sometimes picks up false positives for Worms / Trojans on certain software. Mobius has been tested against four different AV software and Avast is the only one that flags a problem.

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:56 pm

Hi MKS,

:oops: Wow, many thanks for that - sorry about my AV software - will try the Mobius plug, and add it to the long list of looping vsts...............I still like ellotronix the best, particularly for the sound quality...........anyway, here goes.

Thanks again,
C V

MKS

Post by MKS » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:35 pm

:D No worries - happy to help. It's worth reading the documentation for Mobius, since a lot of the functionality is quite deep. The EDP itself offers huge flexibility for looping (not just record / overdub / undo) and Mobius includes pretty much all of this and more. Functions like Multiply are very cool - you can start from a "grain" of an idea and then use Multiply to create longer passages. The ability to have many loops and copy content forward (using overdub, multiply etc.) means that you can have A sections, B sections, C sections. Maybe the last would be uncomfortable though... ;) Anyway, it's definitely worth scratching below the surface and seeing what's in there.

Oh yeah, and it syncs up to Ableton Live nicely if you use MidiYoke virtual MIDI cables.

zonemobius

Syncing Live from a plugin

Post by zonemobius » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:24 pm

[quote="Machinate"][quote="rekliner"]AFAIK Ableton is not able to receive time info from a plug-in. Perhaps that is something for the feature wish-list. [/quote]Plenty of people have done this with Augustus Loop and IAC, so it could definitely be done on pc as well.[/quote]

It is possible in some cases to have Live sync to a plugin if the plugin is capable of opening its own MIDI device and sends MIDI clocks and transport commands. You then use the MIDIYoke (if on Windows) loopback device as the output from the plugin, then as the external sync inut for Live. Mobius can do this, I'm not sure about the others. Bewere
though that Mobius has been crashing for some people under Live 5.0.3 then the plugin is deleted.

Jeff

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:37 am

MKS wrote::D Functions like Multiply are very cool - you can start from a "grain" of an idea and then use Multiply to create longer passages. The ability to have many loops and copy content forward (using overdub, multiply etc.) means that you can have A sections, B sections, C sections. Maybe the last would be uncomfortable though... ;) Anyway, it's definitely worth scratching below the surface and seeing what's in there.

will do......sounds cool

best
C

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:59 am

also note that the much simpler AngstroLooper also has multiply/divide - pretty damned cool.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

rekliner

Post by rekliner » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:31 am

Hey, I'm almost done with the next loopy llama version (0.91)... It keeps overdubbing at the second loop point. I also now allows you to be synced to ableton and create a loop of however many beats you want...it will quantize it to the beat so you don't have to worry about your timing!

I'll give the midi yoke loopback thing a try. I don't think there's any MIDI standard for sending tempo besides the 24 pulses per quater note (which is a terrible standard IMHO)... unfortunately that would be quantified to the number of samples in the buffer setting, so it may not be accurate and could jump around every other second. It may also be and extra bit of processor...I'll have to check. But MIDI out is already implemented on the llama for metronome output. (you can assign the input from a midi track with an instrument to the loopy llama's track and you will hear the metronome...not that you need one since live has it's own metronome)

pbajzek

Post by pbajzek » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:49 pm

rekliner wrote:Hey, I'm almost done with the next loopy llama version (0.91)... It keeps overdubbing at the second loop point. I also now allows you to be synced to ableton and create a loop of however many beats you want...it will quantize it to the beat so you don't have to worry about your timing!
Very cool; I look forward to trying it out.

jomtones

stability

Post by jomtones » Thu May 31, 2007 12:49 pm

Interested in trying out using Ableton as a loop-pedal - mobius looks particularly interesting.

My one fear is that such a system might not be as reliable as a guitar-pedal - has anyone tried this out? Not too keen on sharing the stage with a laptop but if it works I'll be happy cos other solutions (RC-50, EH2880) look very expensive.

dj superflat

Post by dj superflat » Thu May 31, 2007 8:18 pm

i love mobius, hard to imagine it's free, have no stability issues. looping with live is really just glorified multitracking, doesn't really suit what i need. i very much like angstrolooper, particularly the muffled feedback and tape flange (wish mobius had same fx available), but it's not as deep in terms of feature set. pedals are stable, but just don't offer all the functionality you need, and you can't customize to how you work (i have the electro 2880, like it lots, have tried the boss, etc.).

jomtones

Post by jomtones » Thu May 31, 2007 8:54 pm

Sounds cool. Do you use a MIDI controller with it? Which one?