Fix Live 5 before even thinking about Live 6, dudes.

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
solovox

Fix Live 5 before even thinking about Live 6, dudes.

Post by solovox » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:24 pm

Hey Abes...just slow down there, pals.

I used to wait like everyone else with baited breath for the "next" version of Live. But that's until 5. It STILL doesn't work. I spent a couple hundred bucks in JULY...that's almost 7 months ago...and I cannot use it.

How can I create a session in Live 5 if it plays clips out of time, stutters, buckles under the pressure, etc, when placed in a 4+ gig Session for performance? And since Live 4 can't play a Live 5 session...I don't use it. There are still performance issues like this one:
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32208
that are not being addressed. Users on PC and Macs are still finding Live 5 to be a buggy disaster.

I've been patiently waiting and waiting, not asking for a refund.

But to see that you guys are even considering coming out with Live 6 this year, I'm moderately pissed. You will either need to refund a shitload of people's money, or offer Live 6 to those people for free. Pick one.

iain.morland

Post by iain.morland » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:56 pm

I agree. Abes, please take a minute to read this.

I don't want to sound antagonistic, but there's a fine line between being respected for fast and adventurous product development, and being discredited for seeming to rush out new releases instead of delivering reliable products.

At stake here isn't just the opinions of hobbyist and project studio users but also the industry and commercial studios.

You have good ideas, and deserve to get (or even to exceed!) the acclaim and professional respect for products like Cubase and Pro Tools, but releasing new versions of Live in under a year, without fixing serious bugs first, is a strategy that will make you seem 'amateur' or 'flash in the pan'.

I'm not saying you or your product is amateur - just that a ludicrously fast development cycle will make it appear so.

skiptracer

Post by skiptracer » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:08 pm

it's rock solid on hundreds of systems. maybe you should try fixing your computer?

supster

Post by supster » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:09 pm

iain.morland wrote:I agree. Abes, please take a minute to read this.

I don't want to sound antagonistic, but there's a fine line between being respected for fast and adventurous product development, and being discredited for seeming to rush out new releases instead of delivering reliable products.

At stake here isn't just the opinions of hobbyist and project studio users but also the industry and commercial studios.

You have good ideas, and deserve to get (or even to exceed!) the acclaim and professional respect for products like Cubase and Pro Tools, but releasing new versions of Live in under a year, without fixing serious bugs first, is a strategy that will make you seem 'amateur' or 'flash in the pan'.

I'm not saying you or your product is amateur - just that a ludicrously fast development cycle will make it appear so.

add my vote

... what? no, ive never voted on this before. what do you mean ... show my ID? dam, i left it at home. its cool everybody knows me here ... no, thats not my name there on the list. thats my brother that voted the other 13 times.
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

iain.morland

Post by iain.morland » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:10 pm

it's rock solid on hundreds of systems. maybe you should try fixing your computer?
Actually, it's rock solid on mine.

Don't be snobby.

I'm talking about the impression given by the speed of releases, and the fact that it inevitably means that more bugfixes will require a paid update by users.

supster

Post by supster » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:11 pm

skiptracer wrote:it's rock solid on hundreds of systems. maybe you should try fixing your computer?
read the board more
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

solovox

Post by solovox » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:31 pm

skiptracer wrote:it's rock solid on hundreds of systems. maybe you should try fixing your computer?
Read the board more, indeed. I've been using Live since 1.0...I've thrown thousands of dollars at it. External drives, more and more and more RAM, new laptop, you name it. The problem is too many of you users are only doing one session at a time...fair enough for composition work. Live 5 IS rock solid one song at a time.

The math is quite simple: a 22 song 4 gig set (which is only the beginning of what I WANT it to do) plays fine in Live 4. Live 5 is sluggish, stuttering, and plays clips out of time. Then, if you're lucky, it will crash to make the pain stop.
Live Show Rig: MacBook Pro, 2.3ghz Intel i7, 16GB RAM, Motu Ultralite

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Zoom LiveTrak L-8, Windows 10

xl5

Post by xl5 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:05 am

I'm wondering,
All of the Skiptracers of the world. When will you wake from your dream in which Live 5 is "Rock Solid" on thousands of computers ? You personally know thousands of people for which Live 5 has shown rock solid since it's inital release? Or maybe you mean that it wasn't but that 5.0.3 made it all better? Are they all friends? Or maybe you read that in the forum somewhere? Are you on the Abelton staff and pushing your propaganda undercover? It can't be, can it ?. You see, It's sounds funny to me that some no-name would come up and tell us something this hillariously arrogant when I never heard or read anything even remotely similar from the Abes themselves. You must know something that we, or even they, don't know.

Now,
Is it my less than average knowledge of english that leads me to believe that we'il have to spring some extra money to get 5.2 ? It can't be.
Please say that it is.
IF i'm right, then does this mean that we won't get another bug fix until then ? Meaning : NO Live 5.0.4.
This can't be right either? It would mean that we would be stuck with this annoying (but still rock solid) start in the middle thing and those disapearing menus and commands among other things for another month :!:
Last edited by xl5 on Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

skiptracer

Post by skiptracer » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:08 am

excuse me. i was feeling reactionary.

amo

Post by amo » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:09 am

xl5 wrote: Now,
Is it my less than average knowledge of english that leads me to believe that we'il have to spring some extra money to get 5.2 ? It can't be.
Please say that it is.
IF it's a yes, then does this mean that we won't get another bug fix until then ? Meaning : NO Live 5.0.4.
This can't be right either? It would mean that we would be stuck with this annoying (but still rock solid) start in the middle thing and those disapearing menus and commands among other things for another month ?
Hi,

From the announcement, I understand that a crossgrade to macintel 5.2 would cost 49$, but that the update will be free for PC and old-MAC users....
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

xl5

Post by xl5 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:10 am

What a relief,
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:26 am

xl5 wrote:What a relief,
Thanks for clearing that up for me.
No Doubt! The Abes are cooler than that. It's unethical to stop fixing a product that is still under support. They wouldn't do that.

I just bought 5 about 20 days ago too. I just want the cpu gains of .0.3 without the clip behavior that it has recently been designed with.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

unusable

Post by unusable » Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:08 am

whoa down there . whoa... whoa....
.asus cetrino lappy 2.0Ghz 2x7200 internal drives, 2GR
.carillion desktop AC-1 P4 1.86, 786RAM
.live 5, wavelab, cubase, reason, waves
.fender, gibson and danelectro guitars
.keybaords and other things electronic

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:34 am

actually, i think the statement, "It's rock solid on hundreds of systems" (read the statement xl5, not that your misread of 1000s is hard to believe either)

would be pretty hard to refute. It's not like he said tens of thousands...

If i and quite a few other people here say the program is solid on their system, that easily translates into hundreds of others. You guys like to use that argument a lot when talking about your problems translating into other peoples problems who don't use the board.

look. I'm not lying to you guys to defend ableton or some crazy shit like that. Live 5 works with my system. It takes up more CPU than any previous version, but that's because of all the added features.... i don't think that you guys are lying about your problems, i just think that it is possible that they are not entirely the fault of live 5. why do you think that those of us who don't have problems are lying????

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

solovox

Post by solovox » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:47 am

Don't think you're lying at all...just using the program differently. What are the specs of your performance laptop...and what is the size of your Session? How long are your clips? What are you asking of Live 5...these are the questions. Live 4 allows me to play whopper sets, with over 20 different musical songs at my instant recall...so I feel a dance floor or room and make the right move. Live 5 buckles and spits and plays that same exact Session out of time. The proof is in the pudding.
Live Show Rig: MacBook Pro, 2.3ghz Intel i7, 16GB RAM, Motu Ultralite

Desktop Rig: 8 core Xeon, 20 gig RAM, RAID 0 drives, Zoom LiveTrak L-8, Windows 10