Re-assigning mousewheel to zoom (yes, it works!)

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
ilia

Re-assigning mousewheel to zoom (yes, it works!)

Post by ilia » Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:54 am

[Last update -Oct 03, 2006]

Hello, all.

I have updated the mousewheel script for Live 6. You can get it here.

Here's what's new:

- works with Live 6 :D
- more robust focus detection
- more useful behavior in the browser pane

Comment are welcome.
Enjoy!
Last edited by ilia on Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Patch

Post by Patch » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:06 am

Good Job!

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:20 am

wicked thanks! this looks great

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:18 pm

I love how this script allows you to scroll in the Session View. But i'm not getting it to work as a zoom in the Arrange view at all. I am using the default live 5.03 skin. Any suggestions?

Also, if I double-click the script (not the EXE), I get an error message at Line 20 - "#ifWinActive, ahk_group Live Error: This line does not contain an unrecognized action"

ilia

Post by ilia » Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:54 pm

nebulae wrote:I love how this script allows you to scroll in the Session View. But i'm not getting it to work as a zoom in the Arrange view at all. I am using the default live 5.03 skin. Any suggestions?
One thing that could be affecting the behavior is the screen resolution. Which one are you using? Could you try it in something like 1024x768 or 1200x800 (wide) and let me know if that makes a difference?
Also, if I double-click the script (not the EXE), I get an error message at Line 20 - "#ifWinActive, ahk_group Live Error: This line does not contain an unrecognized action"
Hm. Do you have the latest version of autohotkey installed?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:01 pm

ilia wrote:
nebulae wrote:I love how this script allows you to scroll in the Session View. But i'm not getting it to work as a zoom in the Arrange view at all. I am using the default live 5.03 skin. Any suggestions?
One thing that could be affecting the behavior is the screen resolution. Which one are you using? Could you try it in something like 1024x768 or 1200x800 (wide) and let me know if that makes a difference?
Hm. Do you have the latest version of autohotkey installed?
Both my desktop and my laptop are set to 1600x1200. I'll try the other res to see what happens. But maybe it's not having the latest version installed...I'll give it a try.

I have to say that overall, this script is MUCH smoother than anything I came up with earlier, so kudos to you. If there's one critique, it's that I don't necessarily like what the mouse wheel does with the Library...it's like my mind wants it to function like normal Windows when I'm in the browser section. Thoughts?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:25 am

I tried multiple screen settings and it had no effect. This script does not work for zooming on either the arrange or for clips in the session/arrange. It does work great for scrolling side to side, so I'll definitely use it for that....but the scrolling would be ideal. You're really close, I'm sure...can you try again? I'd be happy to help troubleshoot or beta test. You can reach me at producer909_at_yahoo for email and instant message.

ilia

Post by ilia » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:16 am

nebulae wrote:I tried multiple screen settings and it had no effect. This script does not work for zooming on either the arrange or for clips in the session/arrange. It does work great for scrolling side to side, so I'll definitely use it for that....but the scrolling would be ideal. You're really close, I'm sure...can you try again? I'd be happy to help troubleshoot or beta test. You can reach me at producer909_at_yahoo for email and instant message.
Ok, sent you some info via YIM. The script works fine for me here, so we'll have to figure out what's different on your machine. I can also make an alternate version that will be more robust in some cases.

ilia

Post by ilia » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:34 pm

nebulae wrote: You're really close, I'm sure...can you try again? I'd be happy to help troubleshoot or beta test. You can reach me at producer909_at_yahoo for email and instant message.
I made an alternate version (see the edit of the top post).
Please let me know if this works for you.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:44 pm

ilia wrote:
nebulae wrote: You're really close, I'm sure...can you try again? I'd be happy to help troubleshoot or beta test. You can reach me at producer909_at_yahoo for email and instant message.
I made an alternate version (see the edit of the top post).
Please let me know if this works for you.
Thanks. I'll test when I get home tonight.

audiovoid

Wow man

Post by audiovoid » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:29 am

Holy god-damned shit man. You did it. It actually works. You are my savior.
I was hoping that Ableton would include this feature in updates but now I could care less. Being able to instantly zoom with the scroll wheel makes life so much easier when working in a Daw arrange view.
As I mentioned in a previous post, I was very much used to this feature when I used to use Acid, and I've always wished it to be implemented into my absolute favorite software_ Live. :)
audiovoid.net
Macbook pro,
MacPro 8 core
running OSX, &
WinXP through Bootcamp and Fusion

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:00 pm

really, really awesome. thanks so much!!!!

the only thing that would be better is if the zoom would always center on the mouse position. i bet this has more do do with the way ableton works than with the script though

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:51 pm

Rocks man, awesome!

How this is not standard behaviour in Live I'll never know.

Could this be epanded so it could scroll thru the dropdown boxes, like 'audio to' 'bank/subbank/program' etc.. as well?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:55 pm

Ok, I tested the ALT version and it works really well. Thanks a bunch, this is great.

Of course, as with all things, there are somethings that can be improved, should you choose to tinker further (this does not at all mean that I'm not grateful - I really appreciate your efforts!!):

1. In the clip view it would be great to somehow zoom in perhaps where the cursor is rather than just from the beginning of the clip. Often, I want a quick zoom to a particular beat or transient peak so I can adjust a warp marker. Then I want to quickly zoom out and repeat the process later in the clip. With the current script, I can only zoom from the beginning of he clip.

2. The ALT script doesn't zoom at all in the clip view when in Session mode. In arrange it zooms as I just stated.

3. In zooming in and out in the arrange, it might also be good to have some zoom rules. For example, if I have the mouse on the left side of the screen, the zoom in keeps the left side on the screen and zooms out to the right, but if I'm on the right side of the screen, that side stays put and zooms out to the left. Does this make sense? It's like smart zooming, similar to Tracktion.

If I get more ideas, I'll send them your way.

-Neb

PS - thanks again, you AutoHotKey GOD.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:57 am

that's curious. on my system, it zooms around the cursor position. it does sometimes shift the cursor slightly to the left or right, but i didn't see any rhyme or reason as to why.