[Movie Player] version 0.5 online ! MAC and PC !

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dpel

Post by dpel » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:13 pm

amo wrote:That makes sense... What about giving an offset to the movie so it starts at whatever offset at the top of the arrangement ? I could put a number box to achieve that, like instead of movie start = 0, moviestart = "new value" ?
yes!

:D
Dave Pelman Music
http://www.davepelman.com

dpel

Post by dpel » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:26 pm

amo wrote:
kabelton wrote:hey amo,
i just wanna tell you that it works now. great! thanks a lot, you have done a big thing with your tiny plug.

thanks...oh... tested it again with a bigger mpg. it is always starting at the beginning although clicking to 2min for example. hmm...

:?:
Do you mean that with a longer mpg file, MoviePlayer display doesn't jump when clicking in the upper part of the arrangement with the speaker ? or when you start the song 2 min in ? I'll give it a try but see no reason for this to happen actually. If anyone else could test... welcome.
same here Amo,
on the longer quicktime movies, the movie starts at or near the beginning when we stop in the middle of an arrangement. i am clicking in the speaker area and even made location markers. i'm not navigating in the clips area.

you just need to figure out the location chasing issue and you're ready for Version 1 release!
go to Apple.com and then click on the quicktime tab. you can download long movie trailers for testing.
Dave Pelman Music

amo

Post by amo » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:02 pm

dpel wrote:
amo wrote:
kabelton wrote:hey amo,
i just wanna tell you that it works now. great! thanks a lot, you have done a big thing with your tiny plug.

thanks...oh... tested it again with a bigger mpg. it is always starting at the beginning although clicking to 2min for example. hmm...

:?:
Do you mean that with a longer mpg file, MoviePlayer display doesn't jump when clicking in the upper part of the arrangement with the speaker ? or when you start the song 2 min in ? I'll give it a try but see no reason for this to happen actually. If anyone else could test... welcome.
same here Amo,
on the longer quicktime movies, the movie starts at or near the beginning when we stop in the middle of an arrangement. i am clicking in the speaker area and even made location markers. i'm not navigating in the clips area.

you just need to figure out the location chasing issue and you're ready for Version 1 release!
go to Apple.com and then click on the quicktime tab. you can download long movie trailers for testing.
I know about that behaviour. I'm re-writing it to get rid of it now. I found out that 600 QTU/s is classic quicktime, but some HD mpg are 90000 QTU/s, even some are 2997 QTU/s. I have a bit of difficulties with 2997 (since it is hardly a divider or 44100 or 48000) but it should be workable. I'll leave the "timescale" info in the plug in case anyone comes accross another funky timescale. I can't fins a complete list of all different possible timescales ... (any clue ?)
I can't download from the apple site since I don't (yet) own quicktime 7 pro.
I'll have a look to the ableton ones.

Thanks and keep your eyes open for the update, I'll need some testing.

Best,
amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

Viz

Post by Viz » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:16 am

amo,

With your dedication, i can see where this is going. I only hope you dont deviate your minds to other things :P other than this player. We want the best possible player from you and by the look of it, youre not settling for a simple player. The movieoffset thing looks a great thing to try in next version. If you however manage to really do it, ill definitely make sure i do show some gratitude in some way or other pal. Good luck dude.

amo

Post by amo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Yeah ! version 0.5 is online. Please visit the webpage for details and instructions.
Amongst other things, I fixed the out of sync mpg problem, you know have the choice for the timescale (they were 90000 QTU/s instead of 600), and I've put an offset facility. Oh and yeah, audio goes through the plug now.

Check it out, waiting for your feedback !

Kind regards,

amo

MoviePlayer 0.5
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

dpel

Post by dpel » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:58 am

amo,
brilliant!
i can't wait to test it.
merci beaucoup!
Dave Pelman Music

amo

Post by amo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:37 pm

dpel wrote:amo,
brilliant!
i can't wait to test it.
merci beaucoup!
Waiting for your feedback !

Well, ahem, the online version is the PC version. I was to compile the MAC version here at work today, but I... ahem.... forgot the files at home :oops: .
I'll try to come tomorrow or day after, as I'm not meant to be here but I'll make a small jump for my dear MAC users.....

Enjoy !

amo

charvel-floyd

Post by charvel-floyd » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:10 pm

So far so great :D

dpel

Post by dpel » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:17 pm

amo wrote:
dpel wrote:amo,
brilliant!
i can't wait to test it.
merci beaucoup!
Waiting for your feedback !

Well, ahem, the online version is the PC version. I was to compile the MAC version here at work today, but I... ahem.... forgot the files at home :oops: .
I'll try to come tomorrow or day after, as I'm not meant to be here but I'll make a small jump for my dear MAC users.....

Enjoy !

amo
comments:

it would be great to "float" the movie window so it never disappears.
also,
i'm having difficulty getting a negative offset number (example -100 ms)
i need the movie to start later. right now, i can make the movie start earlier.
i can nudge the music to the start of the movie, but i don't want to do that.

also, i'm having some difficulty with the longer movies locating the transport
information. i've been testing both 600 and 90000 settings.
go to
http://www.apple.com/trailers/
and download some 3-5 min clips (some are HD) and test those.

but excellent work thus far Amo!
Dave Pelman Music

amo

Post by amo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:31 pm

dpel wrote:
comments:

also,

go to

Hi,

- about the "float" window... it' behaves just like any VST plugin. So you have the choice in Live's preferences to hide them automatically when you select another track or not. if you choose not to auto-hide it, it will stay on the screen. Convenient if you've got a double screen set-up: drag it on the second screen. Would that do ? or did you know about it ? I have no other way but a vst plugin as far as I know.

- I don't get you're offset problem: the offset is positive and can't be negative now. it means the movie will start later, say if you have 5 seconds at the beginning of the movie you don't need (i.e. a countdown), you put the offset at 5000ms and you get rid of the first 5 sec. Isn't it like that on your system ?

- I don't yet own quicktime 7 pro and therefore can't downlaod from the apple site. I guess I'll just make the purchase to check those out (and it may be usefull to me for other stuff)... But for now, I can't address that issue (I mean right now). Also, I'm planning building a small side-plug that will help in telling the timescale of a movie. Those HD ones must use another one.

Let me know about the two first issues....
Best,

amo

dpel

Post by dpel » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:09 pm

amo wrote:
dpel wrote:
comments:

also,

go to

Hi,

- about the "float" window... it' behaves just like any VST plugin. So you have the choice in Live's preferences to hide them automatically when you select another track or not. if you choose not to auto-hide it, it will stay on the screen. Convenient if you've got a double screen set-up: drag it on the second screen. Would that do ? or did you know about it ? I have no other way but a vst plugin as far as I know.

- I don't get you're offset problem: the offset is positive and can't be negative now. it means the movie will start later, say if you have 5 seconds at the beginning of the movie you don't need (i.e. a countdown), you put the offset at 5000ms and you get rid of the first 5 sec. Isn't it like that on your system ?

- I don't yet own quicktime 7 pro and therefore can't downlaod from the apple site. I guess I'll just make the purchase to check those out (and it may be usefull to me for other stuff)... But for now, I can't address that issue (I mean right now). Also, I'm planning building a small side-plug that will help in telling the timescale of a movie. Those HD ones must use another one.

Let me know about the two first issues....
Best,

amo
1st issue:

you are right. Live Plug prefs/auto hide/ deactivated -- good

2nd issue:

if i have music starting on bar 2 i can not delay the start of the movie (a positive offset i guess)
you're offset works well if i start the music at bar 1. i can then offset the movie to avoid black or a countdown.
but i need the opposite of this to work as well.

try this. drag your music (in arranger) to bar 2. load a movie with 2 second of black at the beginning. try to start sync the movie to the music (when picture leaves black)
Dave Pelman Music

amo

Post by amo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:18 pm

dpel wrote: 2nd issue:

if i have music starting on bar 2 i can not delay the start of the movie (a positive offset i guess)
you're offset works well if i start the music at bar 1. i can then offset the movie to avoid black or a countdown.

try this. drag your music (in arranger) to bar 2. load a movie with 2 second of black at the beginning. try to start sync the movie to the music (when picture leaves black)
Ok so as I understand it, yo want to be able to start the music before the movie starts right ? May I ask in what context you need that fonctionnality ?
Sorry for dumbness, but I need to understand well before I jump.

amo

dpel

Post by dpel » Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:47 pm

amo wrote:
dpel wrote: 2nd issue:

Ok so as I understand it, yo want to be able to start the music before the movie starts right ? May I ask in what context you need that fonctionnality ?
Sorry for dumbness, but I need to understand well before I jump.

amo
no need for appologies :)

a lot of the time i'll have music start at bar 2 (helps with some synced plugs, helps with rendering, some arrangement flexibility etc)
sometimes i'll have music start at bar 255 (for example) especially if i'm working on a song that has multiple version/ arrangements etc.

so it would be great to have adjustments for both earlier and later.

i hope i was not too confusing
:lol:
Dave Pelman Music

amo

Post by amo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:41 pm

ok I get it... Well, it's another beast than the positive offset. I'll have a look into it, will be worth a version 1 ;-)
Only have 10 days on MAX demo ! Have to hurry up, so in the meantime, make sure you use it a lot to find out if any bugs !

Thanks for help,

amo

dpel

Post by dpel » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:59 pm

excellent!
:P
Dave Pelman Music