20k to spend

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forge

Re: What's the studio for?

Post by forge » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:34 am

rasputin wrote:I didn't see where anyone pointed out that what you buy depends on what you're trying to do.

r.
well I did, which is the central crux of it all really - if he's purely recording lots of real instruments it would definitely push him more in the pro tools area and he could easily spend all of that money on a half decent desk and some top notch mics

but given he said "project studio" and is asking the ableton forum, not the pro tools one, I guessed its for WRITING his own music, in which case the emphasis is totally on the sounds and ease of creative flow - which in all honesty couldnt matter a fuck if it's top notch recording gear or just a computer, decent monitors and interface and software - even then I've heard people write killer tunes on woeful old out of date gear

HD1

Post by HD1 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:39 am

well, if radeon can pull a miracle out of his ass and point me and everyone else in the direction of a 5k hd1 protools and 192 interface I would certainly consider it.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:44 am

radeon wrote:Forge to take advising from you would be bad mistake you have no idea what making good recording because you do sit there with on little laptop and think you can advise a peopels with budget of 20k when all you have and know is a laptop. You are big joke to tell the truth.
I will prove my case to YOU in one month time when mr ropeypunter make a vanish act when I ask hom to show photos of his new 20k setup. I bet you soooo much money he is full of nothininks! :wink:
Apparently you actually mean "no sense of humour" when you go on about being "serious", unless of course I really did think my childrens table and chairs and green plastic outdoor chair studio setup would highlight what a serious pro I am and get the Ableton forum buzzing with excitement....

BTW I think I came up with some nice sounds that evening on the sofa with the kids furniture - nice way to WRITE music actually, relaxed in the living room...

Honestly, what kind of insecurities and hang ups must someone have to feel the need to go on about how amateur everyone else is??

And you didnt answer my question about posting some of your music, it sounds like we could all really benefit from the education!

forge

Post by forge » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:51 am

djadonis206 wrote:...
when you play your music for people and they say what did you use I say my computer...and I get a fuzzy feeling on the inside like I'm special

:)

ad

absolutely! :wink:

radeon

Post by radeon » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:52 am

RopeyPunter wrote:radeon, anyone with half a brain could tell you to jam at 48, and re-record at 192 for the final mix IF resources became a problem. .

:lol: you funny guy :lol:
anyone with half a brain
=
Jam at 48, and re-record at 192 for the final mix
So ou are going to upsample external using your apogee yes :lol: I hoping you dont mean you record all trackings at 48 then to upsample all to 192? If so you more crazy than I thinkings.

I give to you some advice from the Greek Gods the makers of civilisation. {{Come to swim in the sea of knowledge but Beware the sharks in fake faces}}(it is not good translation)))

To be truthfull I enjoy this little game in evening when it is bored so one thinks for sure my english is to getting better when i typings here so I get good thinks from this :P

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:04 am

no man, he means get the ideas down at a lower sampling rate then perform the piece over again at a higher sampling rate when you make the final recording.

your english is OK, just practice the happy, positive, encouraging side of the language.

radeon

Post by radeon » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:12 am

DeadlyKungFu wrote:no man, he means get the ideas down at a lower sampling rate then perform the piece over again at a higher sampling rate when you make the final recording.

your english is OK, just practice the happy, positive, encouraging side of the language.
I really am sorry to ofeence I meaning no harm but I not be helped to laugh if I find somethinks funny so you make me laugh to because you supporting the crazy idea to thinking 192 is so superier to 44.1. So really it is no probelm I meaning no harm so I see it is really only small boys compared penis sizes but on sampling rate.
I go away now I see ropey in one months so i to need aplogise to him when he holding in his hand photo of new setup included comfy chair and something for the homies and a laptop and an apogee and a little one for location recording or mobile somethinks?? and two flat big 44 feets plasma digital hd ready monitors completed with 7.1 surround dolby tx system with alien face interface.
:wink:

forge

Post by forge » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:22 am

radeon wrote: To be truthfull I enjoy this little game in evening when it is bored so one thinks for sure my english is to getting better when i typings here so I get good thinks from this :P
well that's okay then! Pissing people off is how you unwind, then who are we to stand in your way?!

In fact why dont we all clear off and leave you to it, you can take on all the newbies who want to know how to convert midi to audio, it will be like killing ants with a magnifying glass! you can watch with glee as the unsuspecting fools the world over have their amateur questions crushed before your mighty intellect, right there in ASCII!

as the sword of demecles hangs fatefully over their oblivious heads you can chuckle in your mirth at how they fell, like dying flies!

radeon

Post by radeon » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:24 am

RopeyPunter wrote:well, if radeon can pull a miracle out of his ass and point me and everyone else in the direction of a 5k hd1 protools and 192 interface I would certainly consider it.
to buy not new

HD1

Post by HD1 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:49 am

radeon wrote:
RopeyPunter wrote:well, if radeon can pull a miracle out of his ass and point me and everyone else in the direction of a 5k hd1 protools and 192 interface I would certainly consider it.
to buy not new
ha - here we are right back at square one. After all this bullshit, and asking you for the links several times, and saying not second hand goods, and always putting it down to costs....you finish with that. Well done, retard. Its a shame you think we are all as retarded as you.
radeon wrote: So ou are going to upsample external using your apogee yes :lol: I hoping you dont mean you record all trackings at 48 then to upsample all to 192? If so you more crazy than I thinkings.

To be truthfull I enjoy this little game in evening when it is bored so one thinks for sure my english is to getting better when i typings here so I get good thinks from this :P
man, you are slow. No , -obviously- I dont think I can upsample to 192, as deadlykungfu pointed out...I can get the ideas down and re-record individual pieces at 192 when I'm satisfied with something.

and to be honest, I think you are using babelfish to translate, you dont seem to have a grasp of the grammar at all...it stinks of automated translation to me.

so now you can shut up radeon, because first you ignore, or badly translate, what people are saying and insist a protools rig can be aquired for 5k, then you fail to provide the proof of that....and believe me, we would all like a protools rig for 5k, then you continue to talk shit, and when people do you the service of addressing your bizarre logic you just assume they are retards......and you finish with 'ya, a second hand one' ...as if no one knew that. anyways...provide the link for a second hand protools rig, not that it matters, but if you want to prove you are something more than hot gas.

you just make this shit up as you go along, and you are a troll

forgie

Post by forgie » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:01 am

Ok ignoring the fact that a certain member of this board is full of shit...

What total setup are you leaning towards?

Oh, and let it be known that as 'forgie', I am distinct from 'forge'.... although we are both in Australia, right?

Beatworld

Post by Beatworld » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:10 am

forgie wrote: Oh, and let it be known that as 'forgie', I am distinct from 'forge'.... although we are both in Australia, right?
So who is the forgery and who is the real thing :?: :idea: :arrow:

http://www.myspace.com/beatworldperth

3.06Ghz 24" iMac 10.5.7 4Gb:Apogee Duet:Logic Studio 8.02:Live Lite 7:Waves 6:Axiom 49 > museum 1.4GHz G4: 2408 MkII:Poco PCI:Live 5.2:SX3.1.1:Peak 5.2 : BFD2.1

forgie

Post by forgie » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:18 am

Well my last name is Forge, and always has been. Oh, and some people used to call me 'Forgery' in high school......

.....unfortunately Forge beat me to this board by a long shot - in other words, "I am the real Forgery!" buuhahahahahaha!

HD1

Post by HD1 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:47 am

forgie wrote:Ok ignoring the fact that a certain member of this board is full of shit...

What total setup are you leaning towards?

Oh, and let it be known that as 'forgie', I am distinct from 'forge'.... although we are both in Australia, right?
well its like this, I got 20k to spend on a project studio. I can spend some of my own cash later, too.

I have some existing debts and responsibilities that amount to 3k which I could pay off now, or in my own time as was going to happen anyways...

I am not concerned with making a big deal of recording live instruments simultaniously, although I do intend to get two good mics for both field recording, and other esoteric sound sources, and occasionaly traditional uses like an acoustic guitar and live instruments (no intention for simultanious recording btw) . I want to be able to mix in surround sound, for live installation stuff and for doing sound effects for film and games. I'd like to use genelec monitors. Perhaps a uniform selection, or maybe using better ones for L R and lesser ones for the rest...still crunching numbers.

I like hardware synths, I think I will have a total of 4 when this comes together. So I want to be able to jam 'live' and then record sounds I'm happy with via an apogee rosetta for optimal sound quality. I figure I use a combination of a mixer (like an allen and heath etc) a patchbay and a decent preamp to do this. Jamming with the mixer untill I find sounds I like, then using the patchbay (which I would put before the mixer in the chain) to pass each individual signal to the preamp and then through the rosetta into the daw, where I can initially save at 192, bounce to 48, then take care of any computational stuff I want to do, and go back to the original 192 samples and repeat whatever processes I have decided on. Then bounce down to 44.1 for cd. or whatever res and bitrate the final product needs to be.

I do believe I'll be picking up second hand synths on ebay, and circuit bending stuff too.....so there's emphasis on being able to play with sounds 'live' (no latency) and being able to fluidly pass sounds into the daw with the utmost attention being paid to sound quality (not live, but not too awkward either or as fluid as poss). I dont mind for the process of taking the sounds into the daw to be done one signal at a time, but I do wish to be able to use as many of my synths/hardware sound sources simultaniously and in sync as possible - so thats why a live mixer is on the cards.

field recording is the next priority. tascam and edirol both make xlr units at around 1500+ , however....I want to pick up a studio cpu, and a performance cpu and I think now is not a good time ...because intel will be releasing a new chip with better architecture by the summer, and the mactel is just out......so I like the idea of using an imac as the performace cpu because they are cheaper than ibooks and have better performace , but it is not mobile for field recording...on the other hand it would be nice to use a metric halo and an ibook for field recording, meaning the metric halo would also be my 'performance' ad/da ,,,as it has enough outputs to do a surround installation. or if I got the edirol or tascam unit for field recording, I would have to shell out for a performance ad/da , because I wouldnt want to use the rosetta for this.

Also, when this project is finished...it will comprimise of a studio cpu with uad and tcpowercore, a performance cpu with live, a mixer and a daw controller, hardware sound sources, a patch bay, a preamp, a midi patchbay too if i can find one, two good mics, surround monitors, a proper working desk, an ergonomic and COMFY CHAIR, a studio ad/da interface, a studio midi interface , a performance ad/da , a performance midi interface ....and a constant supply of sativa weed. ...so when I'm in the studio fucking with sounds I will actually use the performance cpu to run live and output that to the mixer along with the hardware. I would like to lightpipe from the performer to the studio daw, treating it the same as the hardware sound sources. and eventually compiling and saving sounds loops sequences etc from all of the sources, to be performed with live.

the 20k may not cover this....but thats OK, I can arrange my own funds too.....
i think I've covered the jist of what I'd like to do....all input appreciated...and apologies if this comes across as vulgar!

forgie

Post by forgie » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:06 am

Vulgar shmulgar.

An Intel iMac would be a good stop gap solution IMO. It's not like you'd throw it out if and when you upgrade your main CPU! Ideally I'd be wanting a quad-core intel Power mac, but that'll be a few months off yet.