20k to spend

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
HD1

Post by HD1 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:10 am

forgie wrote: An Intel iMac would be a good stop gap solution IMO.
thats what I'm thinking....but arent there performance issues with mac and live ? as in it seems that if you put a pc and mac side by side, with the same spec, live works better on the pc?

also....what will happen to my vst collection if I go for Imac? can i use vst's on an imac? arent the vsts .dll files ? do they work on imac? is it host specific ?

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:40 am

RopeyPunter wrote:
thats what I'm thinking....but arent there performance issues with mac and live ? as in it seems that if you put a pc and mac side by side, with the same spec, live works better on the pc?

also....what will happen to my vst collection if I go for Imac? can i use vst's on an imac? arent the vsts .dll files ? do they work on imac? is it host specific ?
check out the performance test - it's pretty accurate

I think

at least...

I have a cold and it sucks...I can't hear

ad
Ableton | Elektron

Music

forge

Post by forge » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:45 am

RopeyPunter wrote:
forgie wrote: An Intel iMac would be a good stop gap solution IMO.

see this is the probem

Here we are post unveiling of the intel macs which in Laptop terms some people have been waiting YEARS for and STILL we're all waiting....

as for live, the intel binary will be out really soon, so in truth none of us know how well it will work yet

as for VSTs - it means waiting for the makers of each to update them, probably at a cost

almost makes it worth just getting a G5 quad eh?

:wink:
Last edited by forge on Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrYellow

Post by MrYellow » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:49 am

I want to churn out some warm analogue dub
Buy a few tape machines and a shitload of pot.

-Ben

forge

Post by forge » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:51 am

forgie wrote:Well my last name is Forge, and always has been. Oh, and some people used to call me 'Forgery' in high school......

.....unfortunately Forge beat me to this board by a long shot - in other words, "I am the real Forgery!" buuhahahahahaha!
except it's your real name...fraid I cant compete with that....

I've been using the name Alexis Forge for at least 10 years though!

forge

Post by forge » Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:53 am

MrYellow wrote:

-Ben
he he...that makes at least 5 different people who've suggested weed as one of the main things....

forgie

Post by forgie » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:15 am

MrYellow wrote:
-Ben
Buy a few pot machines and a shitload of tape.... :?:

Seriously though, a tape echo would be cool to have.... a major pain in the ass though in other ways.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:58 am

forgie wrote:
MrYellow wrote:
-Ben
Buy a few pot machines and a shitload of tape.... :?:

Seriously though, a tape echo would be cool to have.... a major pain in the ass though in other ways.
ya can get good enough fake ones now, I used to use the logic one loads - and that was version 4.something, so there must be some really good ones around by now - there's elektronixx or something like that, I havent used it in ages though, you can do pretty well with live's FX too!

Paddy pitch black is the man to talk to about dub....he's posted one or 2 descriptions of their setup too worth reading

HD1

Post by HD1 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:51 am

cheers forge, any idea what thread he posted his setup in? Hes got around a thousand posts...thats alot to sift through!

btw, a mate of mine has a space echo tho I've never heard it
and weed is definatly on the cards!....looking forward to taking a pic of the setup when its arrived, with a fat bud sitting on a comfy chair for radeon.

leonard

Post by leonard » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:27 am

forge wrote:ya can get good enough fake ones now, I used to use the logic one loads - and that was version 4.something, so there must be some really good ones around by now - there's elektronixx or something like that, I havent used it in ages though, you can do pretty well with live's FX too!

Paddy pitch black is the man to talk to about dub....he's posted one or 2 descriptions of their setup too worth reading
I've always wondered if you can do something like that with a convolution reverb. Like take an impulse response from a tape delay or something and load that in logics super duper new reverd dealie.
I dont own logic, by the way.

leonard

Post by leonard » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:30 am

say no to drugs, kids.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:49 am

leonard wrote:
forge wrote:ya can get good enough fake ones now, I used to use the logic one loads - and that was version 4.something, so there must be some really good ones around by now - there's elektronixx or something like that, I havent used it in ages though, you can do pretty well with live's FX too!

I've always wondered if you can do something like that with a convolution reverb. Like take an impulse response from a tape delay or something and load that in logics super duper new reverd dealie.
I dont own logic, by the way.
any good convolution reverb would let you load an impulse of a tape delay - and there are many of them out there for free.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:55 am

RopeyPunter wrote:cheers forge, any idea what thread he posted his setup in? Hes got around a thousand posts...thats alot to sift through!

and weed is definatly on the cards!....looking forward to taking a pic of the setup when its arrived, with a fat bud sitting on a comfy chair for radeon.
:lol: :lol: make it as comfy as possible, and put a sign on it "a SERIOUS chair for SERIOUS pro-tools recordinkers!"

As for paddy - you know I think he might have posted his description in a recent thread called "live techno sucks - please discuss not a troll" or something like that where people were talking about playing live....in any case it was a re-post and he'd posted it before...

he'd be on his honeymoon now so he wont be around for a little while

personally, I think you can get some great tape delay style feedback sounds using live's delays on a send and sending it back on itself maybe warming it up with the saturator

but I'm not the dub king!

amo

Post by amo » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:59 am

forge wrote:
RopeyPunter wrote:cheers forge, any idea what thread he posted his setup in? Hes got around a thousand posts...thats alot to sift through!

:lol: :lol: make it as comfy as possible, and put a sign on it "a SERIOUS chair for SERIOUS pro-tools recordinkers!"

As for paddy - you know I think he might have posted his description in a recent thread called "live techno sucks - please discuss not a troll" or something like that where people were talking about playing live....in any case it was a re-post and he'd posted it before...

he'd be on his honeymoon now so he wont be around for a little while

personally, I think you can get some great tape delay style feedback sounds using live's delays on a send and sending it back on itself maybe warming it up with the saturator

but I'm not the dub king!
There's a free plug called bionic delay wich gives a pretty good simulation of tape delay.
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

HD1

Post by HD1 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:55 pm

just checked out pitch black's two man live setup. seems tight, they use a behringer mixer ?!? ....