rack v. keyboard synths

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
CITYSTATE

rack v. keyboard synths

Post by CITYSTATE » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:24 pm

i think it's time to put some money into a few hardware synths: moog voyager, monomachine, nord lead, dave smith evolver, etc.

i am debating on whether or not to go with the rack versions or keyboard versions. i already have a controller that i like.

would it defeat the purpose to buy synths that end up in a rack and can't be as comfortably tweaked?

it would be cool to have a clean rack of synths though...

pax

Post by pax » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:32 pm

Is it your first hardware synth? If so I'd def. get the keyboard version.

monomachine is an exception, I think it's more portable w/o the keys though the joystick is nice.

HD1

Post by HD1 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:57 pm

hey city state....check out the thread '20k to spend' ,
I intend on getting the voyager machinedrum nord lead and nord g2 .......no keyboards.
why ?...cos at the studio, I always end up playing sequences that i made with my controller keyboard and never touching the synth keyboard, 94 percent of the time.

in most of the cases, its only the keys that are sacrificed and all the knobs are left....which is enough. unless you are a bit of a pianist or key player, maybe you'd like to be that much closer to the synth.

however, the g2 rack has no nobs whatsoever, which is a shame because nord do such a great job on their synths, endless rotaries etc....however, it can all be controlled with midi. the dave smith evolver has the important stuff on the box, the poly evolver has nothing....however, you can hook the evolver up the the poly evolver and use it like a 5 voice synth....but you probably knew that.

also, rack synths are more conducive to bringing out and doing live shows. especially with software like live sequencing them. you may want to get yourself a mixer too.

i think you hit the nail on the head when you said you already have a controller you like......also, with the money you save you could probably squeeze in an extra synth or two, or some effects.

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:09 pm

The Evolver and G2 Modular are so much cheaper than the kb version also!
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

HD1

Post by HD1 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:19 pm

big time!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:54 pm

I'd get a mix. Personally, where I'm at in life right now, smaller is better. Which means the moog is out (it's too expensive anyway.)

The monomachine should be sans keyboard - it's a nice package, and it'll go nicely with the machinedrum.
NordLead... meh.. But it's a cool rack unit, and racks are awesome in geneal.
I'd make an exception for the evolver though... those synths are meant for tweakin' - and that's just what I'll do. I want one. Nah, screw it - get ONLY rackable small ones - that way you can push them closer together in the studio, which means easier access and, ironically, more tweakability.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Keyser Soze

Post by Keyser Soze » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:15 pm

My own personal preference is rack versions EVERYTIME!! Purely because of more portability, space saving and I have a nice keyboard controller that I am extremely happy with.
Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze.

sonsofthehounds

Post by sonsofthehounds » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:25 pm

got a controller, forget about the keyboard version, those things weigh too much.

Get a virus, cheap second hand...you will not be dissapointed.
macbook 2.16 ghz, live 6...studio with gear now gathering dust.

donnydonny

Post by donnydonny » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:50 pm

i like having keyboard versions of synths. some synths though just make absolutely no sense to buy the keyboard version, though. the virus for example. rack version = $1800US... keyboard $2500US. $800US just for a freakin keyboard?! i don't think so. however, nord's keyboard synths aren't that much more expensive than the rack versions and, to me, would be worth the extra few bucks. some people though just don't like keyboards... and that's perfectly fine too.
Macbook Pro 2.16GHz, 3GB, OS X 10.6.2, Live 7.0.18 (Triceratopz), Torq 1.5.2, M-Audio Xponent, Access Virus TI Polar, Trigger Finger

Kenfen

Post by Kenfen » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:59 pm

I think it depends on the board, but if you have a controller, then I'd suggest mostly racks. You could get an editor program that would help you have better access to the rack's potential....

It looks cool to have a nice tri-stand with 3 killer boards on it, but for me, I'm in the same boat with Machinate, the smaller the better.
Regards,

Kenfen

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:15 pm

My Nord Lead 2X IS my main controller.
The reason is that the layout and controls work so well with my hands and mind. I have never seen a keyboard that is as ergonomic and comfy.

I have older synths like the Juno and Moog Rogue which have no rack versions so that is not an option.

Every synth I buy from now on will most likely be rack.

Less space used and being able to use the Nord for control are my reasons.

No need to fill the space with Ivory unless I want to impress people on stage.

Just think too. You probably have at most 2 hands so having more keys around just means you would have to move around everytime a new synth sound is wanted. That sucks unless it's part of your exercise plan.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

HD1

Post by HD1 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:23 pm

donnydonny wrote:however, nord's keyboard synths aren't that much more expensive than the rack versions and, to me, would be worth the extra few bucks. some people though just don't like keyboards... and that's perfectly fine too.
not when it comes to the nord modular 2...a grand of difference for the basic setup, and 1200 difference when including extra dsp

thats the same price as a dave smith evolver rack and some change for an ounce of weed.

CITYSTATE

Post by CITYSTATE » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:50 am

as a practical workflow matter, how do you guys rack multiple synths so that you can easily turn the knobs?

isn't something is going to end up really low and hard to see?

DeadlyKungFu

Post by DeadlyKungFu » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:15 am

donnydonny wrote:however, nord's keyboard synths aren't that much more expensive than the rack versions and, to me, would be worth the extra few bucks. some people though just don't like keyboards... and that's perfectly fine too.

The wood and stone controllers are classic studio bling.

A friend has one, it's a blast to program. Tons of LEDs, it's all about setting ranges of knobs to the wood or stone controller, which is REALLY easy, soooo expressive and a great light show too. I just never practice how to save stuff before I go off the deep end. :lol:

or just keep your eye on the used gear boards, be patient and buy stuff used, if you do it right you can sell it for the same or almost the same price that you bought it for. It's like a lease, but you break even.

HD1

Post by HD1 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:31 am

I intend to get my wood work enthusiast friend to put together a simple wooden frame to use as a Rack, I intend on getting two, maybe even three..the idea is to have the frame at an angle, kind of like a mixing desk or something. you could put a machine drum with a filterbank above it in one frame, and a nord lead 3 and some moogerfoogers in the other frame, wiit the voyager and a xone filter in the third one.....and then arrange them side by side, finding a good spot to put your mixer and cpu/extras midi controllers etc , so you have one womb like zone of acoustic alchemy and visual tomfoolery

i think my hands will be so busy one of those midi foot pedal systems might squeeze its way into the list