Impulse vs. Battery vs. Linplug RM IV vs. DR008 vs. LM4

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nebulae

Impulse vs. Battery vs. Linplug RM IV vs. DR008 vs. LM4

Post by nebulae » Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:42 pm

Which drum sampler do you prefer and why? What are strengths and weaknesses? If you could have only one, would it be Impulse? If you could have two, which two?

Please discuss.

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:02 pm

I have tried just about everything out there for working with drums and the only one that suits me is Fxpansion Guru, it does everything, drum triggering, pattern sequencing, drum effects, advanced on the fly loop slicing etc.. it's a dream come true for me for working with sequenced drums.

Check out the demos and vids here:

http://www.fxpansion.com/product-guru-main.php

I like DR-008 more than battery, it has a built in drum synth that is quite cool.

RM IV is also nice, it's very easy to work with but not enough sound slots for me.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:13 pm

I've tried Guru, and it's not what I'm looking for...to many options taking too much CPU, at least for me. I know a lot of people rave about it though.

My point for asking this question is to guage what people are using, and whta they like...not only for my benefit, but for anyone who is just getting started. And also to see if there are features that Impulse should have that it now doesn't.

Thoughts?

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:17 pm

Simpler

I use beat loops to get my drum kits - importing into Recycle then reimporting takes to much time

so I cut in Ableton - now the problem is that Impulse bug - so I just drop my drum into Simpler - I have more control and it reminds me of the MPC

anyone got the MPC 1000 and using OS 2.01? Curious how that's working out

Impulse does somethings to some drums I like

I have Battery 1.x but I rarely open it

a
Ableton | Elektron

Music

HD1

Post by HD1 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:18 pm

I really like the sounds of the machine drum www.machinedrum.com , and now theres a version that can sample - in a way - heres an article i just googled http://www.macmusic.org/agora/forums/?a ... AznOhMaS=1

I like the idea of sampling on the fly, and then mangling in a machinedrum style....meanwhile live can change sets, for example

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:25 pm

Yeah I can see how it could use a lot of cpu on some systems, it uses about 10-15 for me when it's going at full tilt.

Impulse needs to following to be usefull to me:

16 sound slots at the very minimum.
Each slot should be assignable to whatever note value I want.
Choke groups, so each some in the same choke group cuts of other sounds in that group, choke self etc..
Reverse sample.
Velocity layering.
Needs to be able to route sounds to outputs, say I want my hihats going to out #1

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:36 pm

Oh you had to bring up Machine Drum - you just had to go there (cough cough, I have a cold)

OK my dream studio is a Machine Drum, NordLead (1, 2 3 or 4, 5 and 6) Ableton Live 6 with my computer in my spare bedroom with a nice chair, fat desk, black leather couch and a 42" + flat screen HD Plasma with a Xbox 360 linked up

a spot close to the Mbox for me turntables and some fancy yamaha monitors

a nice storage area for my records, plus a girl who keeps them in categories for me

I have techno, house and breaks (at one point in my life I played breaks - back in '98...So i have some classic bassbin twins, metro and Tree records)

adonis (cough, cough sniffle sniffle)
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:42 pm

I'm quite partial to vSampler these days;
www.vSampler.com
It's quick, it does *really good* beatslicing, and it's deep, I can do randomised groups, velocity groups, choke groups etc. in one go, without needing to go into each sample etc. And something a lot of samplers are missing, surprisingly; You can edit envelopes effects etc of multiple samples at once. Plus it's light on the cpu. It also imports all the major types of samplebanks, and anyway, I like it.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

djfm

Post by djfm » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:07 pm

i use battery 2 and love it i like the envolope option to adjust the wave form
http://www.myspace.com/projectf - Progressive
http://soundcloud.com/fproject
http://twitter.com/fproject1

Macbook 2.4 4GB/Live 7.15/massive/Absynth 4

kenn michael

Post by kenn michael » Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:20 pm

ILTK wrote:Impulse needs to following to be usefull to me:

Needs to be able to route sounds to outputs, say I want my hihats going to out #1
it can already do that. create your audio tracks and set the input of the tracks to the outputs of the individual impulse slots.

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:01 pm

kenn michael wrote:
ILTK wrote:Impulse needs to following to be usefull to me:

it can already do that. create your audio tracks and set the input of the tracks to the outputs of the individual impulse slots.
Yes I know, but you can only have one sound on each audio track the way it's done now, but if they expand Impulse with 16 slots or more then the way they do it now is going to become a mess so there should be output groups instead, like a,b,c,d then you can route cymbals to group a, create an audio track and select output group a.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:07 pm

I agree that group outputs would be nice. But you can also do that by adding audio tracks and creating a group mix with multiple tracks feeding into the "group" track.

I've noticed that Live doesn't often give you features which can be had by a workaround, like in this example. Would it be nice to have? Sure. Are we gonna get it anytime soon? Doubt it. :)

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:15 pm

I just got a Machine Drum SPS-1UW the other day. Trust me, don't get a VSTi, just keep saving for the Machine Drum. ;) Definitely get the UW version, the live samlping is too much fun.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:20 pm

Dude, you have an unlimited gear budget, don't you? Admit it, you're pimping yourself out to some sugar mama who buys you all the toys.
Last edited by nebulae on Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:20 pm

dr008 is quite good , you can edit quite a lot of parameters on each samples , & you can have 128 samples that you assign to your keyboard .

it stills need a lot of processing on the output to get the sound right .