Something to try to get rid of firewire problems....

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
forgie

Something to try to get rid of firewire problems....

Post by forgie » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:58 pm

A thought occurred to me today while browsing another computer audio forum - could some of the problems related to firewire audio on various platforms be related to networking? AFAIK, both Windows XP and OSX Tiger enable networking over Firewire by default.

For those who are having problems with their firewire audio boxes, see what happens if you disable firewire networking. It's worth a try...

pbajzek

Post by pbajzek » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:00 pm

I had the same thought, so I tried turning off FW networking on my iMac G5 a few days ago. I didn't see any change in CPU load according to my system monitor. But then, I have not been having the FW problems some others have reported, though my i/o is FW (Presonus Firebox).

leandro

Post by leandro » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:36 pm

so how do u change that on os x ? (tiger)

thnx!
iMac i7 - Macbook Pro i7 - Motu 8pre FW + 828 MKii - SSD HD

gomi

Post by gomi » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:46 pm

leandro wrote:so how do u change that on os x ? (tiger)

thnx!
System Preferences
Network

Show: Firewire

Configure: Off

DJSK

Post by DJSK » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:16 am

I have had major problems with my Audiophile Firewire on my Laptop. I have tired every fix in the book including the networking solution and I still get audiodropouts and the Cue button freezes. I went back and fourth with M-Audio for weeks on the whole thing. That was one of the most painful things because they were very hard to deal with and slow. They kept on giving me textbook solutions and really didn't even seem like they were listening or reading my emails probably. After finally sending them quicktime videos and snapshots of my cpu specs they eventually came to the conclusion that it was their products fault. They said, "This is a known issue with some of our firewire products. We are currently working to correct it so check back at our website for future driver updates. Please note that if you restart your computer the device will reset and continue functioning normally." ..... Yeah alot of good that will do in a live situation.

beatsfreak

Post by beatsfreak » Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:16 am

I'm just about to dump my FW Audiophile.
It keeps going to sleep on me, and not when the computer goes to sleep, but after about 20 minutes of non-use of the interface.
Got the "known issues crap too" and that was nearly a year ago and no fix.

eyeknow

Post by eyeknow » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:18 pm

DJSK wrote: After finally sending them quicktime videos and snapshots of my cpu specs they eventually came to the conclusion that it was their products fault. They said, "This is a known issue with some of our firewire products. We are currently working to correct it so check back at our website for future driver updates.
They have been saying that since november of 2003. I had a fw410, it's landfill now.......R.I.P..........

Man, I am really bummed at the 'tude maudio gives all of us about this :evil:

leandro

Post by leandro » Sat Jan 21, 2006 8:38 pm

thnx gomi.. just did that... i´ll try and see if something in live gets better (i doubt it really.. anyway, thnx for the help again)
iMac i7 - Macbook Pro i7 - Motu 8pre FW + 828 MKii - SSD HD

billpayer2005

Post by billpayer2005 » Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:52 pm

Second this bug.

I can run smooth on my internal soundcard (win XP, 3GHZ, Live 5.03)
But when I use the Audiophile for more than 20min it will disable the cue (play) button in Live and cease playing any audio.

How can this be right ? Don't they advertise Live & Audiophile as a combo ?

What were M-Audio's suggestions anyone ?

James Cater

Post by James Cater » Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:00 pm

I think this is an Ableton Bug. I get this when mixing tunes at 192/24 on my Apogee Rosetta 200 + X Firewire interface.

After the start button freezes if you continue trying to press buttons Ableton then crashes with a fatal error.

Ableton,

It would be really useful if you could give some indecation of when the next patch is due. There seems to be recurring bugs with multiple users and if we just knew when the next patch 5.0.4 ? 5.2.0 was expected to be released.

Thanks

James.

jethrosipho

Post by jethrosipho » Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:14 pm

I think the firewire problem is apple related. When sound goes dead on my Ozonic or Presonus Firebox, here's a trick to fix it:

Open Audio Midi Setup
Make sure it's set on your Audio interface in Audio Devices
Switch the format from 44000 to 96000 and back (or whatever sampling rate you use)

Sound should happen again...

No good in a live situation of course...

justin

Post by justin » Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:10 pm

live 5.2 is due this month... or at least i seem to remember there being a post bout it somewhere.

however, not keeping my hopes too high after 3 pathetic updates (ok 503 was better than before). seems ableton are more concerned to get their inefficient software working on new macs rather than getting them to work on current machines!

but we can only keep our fingers crossed... hmmm

:roll:

billpayer2005

Post by billpayer2005 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:23 am

RE: fixes

In my configuration (see above ~ XP, Audiophile)
I find that if I switch my outputs in the Audio configuration menu, between DirectX / Wave or ASIO it sorts the problem out temporarily.
(problem being disable cue button and or very downgraded / low sample rate sound)

boatie

Post by boatie » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:24 pm

I may be teaching you guys to suck eggs here, I'm a noob, but there is a known issue with Mac software update and the audio midi setup.

everytime my OS has been updated I have had to uninstall and reinstall the drivers for my FW audiophile 410. its annoying but it works every time

billpayer2005

Post by billpayer2005 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:42 pm

It was the fucking Hyperthreading !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had it switched off in bios (I'm not running multiple apps)
But it was shitting on my Audiophile big time.

As soon as I switched it on it worked fine.
So not an Ableton problem. Or SpeedSwitch.