Recommend a book on mixing techniques

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tomperson

Recommend a book on mixing techniques

Post by tomperson » Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:43 am

Hi all,
I'm looking for a good (read: pro) book on mixing techniques. Last time I was into the theory of mixing was like 4/5 years ago when I was doing an audio course. Now, with a lot more experience in my pocket, I want to refresh my knowledge about mixing techniques. What book do you recommend?

Thanks
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

heliumbaboon

Post by heliumbaboon » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:45 pm

I started reading Mixing With Your Mind, since mixdowns are so confusing to me. The guy actually tells you how to go about it, rather than listing gear or showing page after page of bubbles inside cubes. I decided to buy it after reading the pdf chapter about compressors. It made it so simple. The file's not supposed to be distributed, but it sold me. It's a pricey book, but it's the most practical thing I've ever read.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:58 pm

heliumbaboon wrote:I started reading Mixing With Your Mind, since mixdowns are so confusing to me. The guy actually tells you how to go about it, rather than listing gear or showing page after page of bubbles inside cubes. I decided to buy it after reading the pdf chapter about compressors. It made it so simple. The file's not supposed to be distributed, but it sold me. It's a pricey book, but it's the most practical thing I've ever read.
The guy who wrote mixing with your mind is a genious, the besht book you will get hands down.

If you are running studio sessions, The Adventured of Mixerman would be a good addition to your people skills library.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:32 pm

The adventures of mixerman are those of a guy with a bunch of kids that are doing an album? Those were the guy started using nicknames (like "dumbass" or something for the drummer, etc) to hide the identity of the people?
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:36 pm

heliumbaboon wrote:I started reading Mixing With Your Mind, since mixdowns are so confusing to me. The guy actually tells you how to go about it, rather than listing gear or showing page after page of bubbles inside cubes. I decided to buy it after reading the pdf chapter about compressors. It made it so simple. The file's not supposed to be distributed, but it sold me. It's a pricey book, but it's the most practical thing I've ever read.
Hmmm, it's a pricey book, and It's not on amazon...too bad...

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:36 pm

tomperson wrote:The adventures of mixerman are those of a guy with a bunch of kids that are doing an album? Those were the guy started using nicknames (like "dumbass" or something for the drummer, etc) to hide the identity of the people?
yeah they are

basically after reading that, i feel like i know every musician out there and know how to run a a tight session should i need to.

its also sprinkled with production & mixing tips, but not a mixing guide.. like stav's Mixing With Your Mind would be.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:51 pm

Those stories were lot of fun. Crazy how the guy solved the situations by "rolling a fattie" or something like that, hehehehe.

And what about mixing engineers handbook? Anyone has it?

spiderprod

Re: Recommend a book on mixing techniques

Post by spiderprod » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:08 pm

tomperson wrote:Hi all,
I'm looking for a good (read: pro) book on mixing techniques. Last time I was into the theory of mixing was like 4/5 years ago when I was doing an audio course. Now, with a lot more experience in my pocket, I want to refresh my knowledge about mixing techniques. What book do you recommend?

Thanks
if it's all about refreshing your knowledge , why don't you ask a good mixing engineer to take you with him during a mixing session ?
i've done it a few time , i got more knowledge in a few days than any book on the subject .
some of the tips i got in those big studios were like some occult secret mixing or recording technique that even the illuminatos didn't know .

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:22 pm

This is a domain i'd like to get into more - I've been doing mixes on the fly while I write but more and more my projects are going Ableton only which allow me to rewire into PT (I have a MBOX)

I want to get good at it, I guess practice makes perfect

If my boy in Birmingham likes the last mix I sent him of our yousendit project I'm going to give it a go in PT

interesting

ad
Ableton | Elektron

Music

siddhu

Post by siddhu » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:08 pm

The Mixing Engineers Handbook is great.

Interviews with all the top old school mixers ...legends really.

But it's kind of philosophical with more on general technique that a highly detailed, techie book.

HD1

Re: Recommend a book on mixing techniques

Post by HD1 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:13 am

spiderprod wrote: some of the tips i got in those big studios were like some occult secret mixing or recording technique that even the illuminatos didn't know .
wanna fill us in ?

tomperson wrote: Hmmm, it's a pricey book, and It's not on amazon...too bad...
http://mixingwithyourmind.com/book.htm , buy it straight off the author for 80 australian dollars.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:27 pm

Hey and how about books that deal specifically with the issues of electronic music? Bass heavy mixes, punching kicks...

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:44 pm

mixing with your mind ain't bad to start off!

but i second what has been said before, a very effecient way is to try to attempt a pro mixing sessions (a lot of studios allow this, specially if you give them one of your tracks for mixing, i do that as well, if the client requires it), and then get your hands on at home and practise, practise, practise, experiement, practise, practise, experiment and practise again... this is something NO book can ever replace. and no one else can ever replace YOUR ears.

cheers

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:51 pm

tomperson wrote:
Hey and how about books that deal specifically with the issues of electronic music? Bass heavy mixes, punching kicks...
there is no need for it, once you understand the main principles of mixing / engineering, e.g. EQ-ing, Compression, Limiting, Reverb, Routing / bussing then it's up to your ears and what YOU want to achieve, then you can mix / engineer anything from jazz / classical to hardcore techno...

the principal of manipulating sounds are the same, no matter what source material you use or what result you are looking for. it's your choice, if you know your tools.

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:55 pm

This is a little expensive, but check out Charles Dye's Mix It Like a Record -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BB ... ance&n=130

It has a lot of audio examples of how to achieve good mixes using plugins. Now mind you that the tools used is Pro Tools (ugh!) and Waves plugins (double ugh!) and the production has that really annoying Carson Daily MTV-ish crap that tries to compete with the A.D.D. of our youth. But if you get past that, I think the mixing techniques and principles are very good and very usable.