does anyone have a xone 3d yet?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dj_huck

does anyone have a xone 3d yet?

Post by dj_huck » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:48 pm

if you do where do you live so i can break in and try it out? no really if anyone has one how do they like it and is it worth the money?
shane

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sun Feb 05, 2006 5:32 pm

no one will have one untill mid-april at the earliest..still not shipping from a&h
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

JohnDP

Post by JohnDP » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:28 am

there is a video of it with added post production sound about the xone 3d.

here's the email from WestendDJ in London, UK

Hello again,

from what I've seen the bpm syncing is fantastic... and wyou can se for
yourself.

We've recorded a demo a couple of weeks ago at the NAMM show in L.A

you can go to our website http://www.westenddj.tv

Download volume 2.2

You will need iTunes or Quicktime 7 to watch it, there is also a link on
that page for one click subscription on iTunes which will ensure you get
future episodes as well.

If you listen very very carefully the audio might sound a little out of
sync but thats due to the mic he was wearing picking up some sound from
the monitors and the sound from the mixer being overlayed in post production.

If there's anything else we can do please let us know

JohnDP

Post by JohnDP » Thu Feb 09, 2006 8:34 am

one tiny reflection here....

I just saw the West End videos and I am really happy I did, yet i couldn't stop realizing how strange all the presentations were: I mean, the Pioneer guy was talking crap (he didn't even talk about the MIDI functions, instead he focused on effects that exist since day one...) and the Allen & Heath guy was completely out of place. He didn't show anything proper yet his performance was way better than the one at Plasa 2005 where the A&H MD made a hoorendous job at presenting the Xone 3D prototype! He was acting as if the MIDI on the Xone 3D was some sort of hidden bonus!

I am sorry but since a while and since knowing that Ecler might bring out a Midi enabled enhanced version of the Nuo5 (nuo6) at Frankfurt 2006 then I am not really keen on the Xone 3D anymore!

I am one of those guys that looks at the Xone 3D to be used with 2 CDJ's and a copy of Ableton Live. I would maximum use 3 Ableton tracks at a time and thus a combination of 8 faders is futile for me...Also, because the outside MIDI faders lack a dedicated EQ I would end up using the channels 1 and 4 for the CDJ's and 2 and 3 for the Ableton channels BUT the point here is that this can already be done with my existant Xone 92 + Audiophile Firewire soundcard setup...

Another thing that didn't reassure me was the slow reactivity of the spring push/pull lever when demostrated in the West End video...So in the end using a fader to act like a turntable pitch fader on my UC-33 is way easier.

To conclude, I am not saying that the Xone 3D is sh*t or something down that line, on the contrary, the Xone 3D is great but because it is such a high end product for a dedicated market, the users and thus customers of such a market like all of us here have already some sort of mixer-soundcard-controller setup and thus would need to consider the opportunity cost of leaving these items aside AND shell out 2500 Euro or nearly 3000 dollars for this item!

Think about these words and lets discuss!

thx1138

Post by thx1138 » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:34 am

Spoke to my contact a A&H yesterday Shipping due to now start March and there's a back order of 3 months.
Macbook Pro C2D2.5 17"/4G/OSX.5.6/Live8.12/Brain/Bla bla bla bla

DJ - Anon

Westend Vid

Post by DJ - Anon » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:18 pm

Hi John,

I'm the one that wrote you the email, I also made the video!

Firstly, the push pull on the xone3D, is actually perfect. As I tried to explain about the sound, it's slighty out of sync, we actually recorded the sound separatly and overlayed it on the video.

As for Andys presentation, he's not a presenter, or even a DJ, he's a product developer to top it all, it was filmed on a Sunday morning, we were all jet lagged to hell and we were very pushed for time.

Theres obviously so much more to the 3D than the midi sync, as soon as we get our demo unit (hopefully the next two weeks) we'll be making another, more comprehensive clip.

As a side note, Ecler have contacted us and want to make a video clip of the Nuo's so keep an eye out for that.

The Pioneer guy may have waffled on a bit, however he demonstrated the key features on the mixer (like the new colour effects) and they didnt have it set up with any software to show off the MIDI controls.

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:42 pm

I think the Xone:3D is right for you if its right for you. Controllers selected by artists are a manifestation of how they would like to interface with their software and their sounds.

Some will work for a few some of the times, and some will not work for everyone all of the time. or something like that.

:)

rob.