[OT] Help to stay away from alcohol needed

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
conny

[OT] Help to stay away from alcohol needed

Post by conny » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:56 pm

Hi friends.

I have not been without beer or wine on a daily basis for a month.
It ruins me in many ways.
I've tried to commit myself to one day off, but lately that has not worked out. Always finding an excuse to pour me some in.

I want to make a contract that tomorrow I'll stay clean. At least, as a start.
Please encourage me to make it more than a start.

Don't know if I have to go down to a zero consumption or if I may find a way to handle it at situations.

Experiences?

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

Machinate

Re: [OT] Help to stay away from alcohol needed

Post by Machinate » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:08 pm

conny wrote:Don't know if I have to go down to a zero consumption or if I may find a way to handle it at situations.

Experiences?

// C
In my experience the only real way of doing it is cold turkey. Anything else *will* lead to relapses.
Also, do a lot of really deep thinking about this: Ask lots of "why" and "do I *really* need this?" etc.

I wish you all the best of luck on this, Conny
A.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:08 pm

Hi...

No direct experience - but I trust that you can make it, my friend.

/Mikael

stinky

Post by stinky » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:10 pm

My advice is, do something different for a couple of days.. stay away from the studio, if that's causing you to drink... and, exercise..

Jim S.

Post by Jim S. » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:10 pm

It sounds like there might be a seat waiting for you at an AA meeting. If others joke about it, ignore it. Just check out a meeting or two: they have radically improved, and in some cases saved, many lives.

Do a google search, find a meeting schedule in your area, and just check one out. You can just sit in the back and say nothing if you want, though you may feel like talking to someone.

Whatever you do, reach out to more people than just folks on a music software forum. It sounds like you are ready to deal with a problem you have.

Jim S.
Last edited by Jim S. on Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toshiba Satellite P25, WinXP SP2, P4 3.2 GHz, 512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM, 800MHz bus, RME Multiface, stock internal 4200 rpm & Hitachi Travelstar internal 7200 rpm, (also a complete ProTools HD3 based studio)

cherry-k

Post by cherry-k » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:10 pm

hi conny,

not that I hat a problem "without" alcohol, but after having too much one time I just stopped drinking it. Now more than a year is gone by and I was so much more creative and productive than ever, I do not miss a drop. The only bad thing is, that you can no longer enjoy the time with drinking friends :roll:

Just do it. :)

greetz to the north

cherry
cheers, michael

*MacOS 10.8*iMac-i7*32GB*motu ultralite mk1*
*Live 3-9 suite*AD*AK*AmpegSVX*
*tubeamps*guild-guitars+basses*and myself*

need real guitar- or bass-trax??? send PM!

buddhabelly

Post by buddhabelly » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:17 pm

I was there once. The only thing I found to work for myself was to remove myself from situations where alcohol was a big part of the event. I had to do it for some months. After that, I was slowly able to return to bars with gigs and have some semblance of control. Every once in awhile, I do get carried away and get completely shit-faced. When that happens, my wife lets me know it was not a good time.

Later, I found the underlying problem for while I was 'self-medicating' with booze and drugs. Turns out I'm rapid cycle bipolar. I started treatment, not antidepressants or even the old standby lithium, but a drug that's actually used to treat seizures. I don't get that detached weird feeling that antidepressants can trigger. Bipolar is pretty much hardwired in your brain and is not situational like some depressions, though stress can trigger anxiety that can boost a manic state. There is a history in my family, but I've started dealing with it before my thirties, so my doctor doesn't think I'll have a psychotic break like others in my family. My drug treatment has all but quashed the manic cycles, but I'm still dealing with some depression. I also have chronic insomnia that I've been given real treatment for, much better than drinking myself to unconsciousness.

At this point, we have beer & wine in the house all the time and I don't feel compelled to drink every night. Or even the weekends. I'm about to finish my BFA after being in and out of school for the last 6 years. Got a line on an internship at a local studio. My wife and I bought a house and are getting ready to try and get pregnant. Life's looking up.

Quitting smoking, now that's a different story. I go weeks without smokes then I just get an overwhelming urge to have a cigarette. But it's not that big of a deal cause I have the same pack I've been smoking since November, far from my old 2 pack a day habit.

Good luck!

conny

Post by conny » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:20 pm

Thank you, friends.
Most appreciated.
And true, I might have to take it outside a music community.
Thing is there is an AA meeting place just around the corner, but I don't dare to go there. Equals I don't have the guts to admit my problems are of that dignity. Yet.
So this may be a try to get over it a more indirect way...

// C
Bleeps and Blops!

conny

Post by conny » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:29 pm

buddhabelly wrote:I was 'self-medicating' with booze ... I'm still dealing with some depression. I also have chronic insomnia
That's about my condition.
Anxiety and depression, it "helps" to get a bit drunk but later it gets worse.
I may feel afraid to go to bed if I'm not drunk because I may lay awake for hours.
I'm getting more into thinking now that anxiety is better then fooling yourself, though.
It's scary.

// C
Bleeps and Blops!

Moody

Post by Moody » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:32 pm

Alcohol is weak to begin with. I only look at it as a social thing. Give that crap up! Make some tracks. Do what you got to do man!
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

zenke

Post by zenke » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:33 pm

Conny
I have been there and the thing that stopped me was shock!!
I went to the DR and asked for a full health check up. they checked everything and the one big problem was.... my liver.
The Dr said ' I can't force you but if you don't stop drinking you will die pretty soon'
I stoppeed there and then and didn't touch a drop for three years. Now I can control it and drink when I want to. I have taken the control, its no longer in the bottle, That feels good.
I also found that cold sparkling water gave a sort of burn to the throat which I convinced myself was somewhat like the burn of whisky or whatever.
Good luck with it man. I know how difficult it is, but think of the extra life you could lead without it
z

conny

Post by conny » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:44 pm

Thanks again.
I'ts getting late here, I'll print this thead so far to keep it with me tomorrow.
May the force be with us.

// C
Bleeps and Blops!

ultrasource

Post by ultrasource » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:46 pm

i'm kinda going through the whole grappling with dependency thing, too. When I was younger I never understood why so many people drank all the time. Now I drink all the time and don't understand how it got to this point.
I wish you much luck.

conny

Post by conny » Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:53 pm

ultrasource wrote: I drink all the time and don't understand how it got to this point. .
I feel I have to prove that it's possible to break that.
-- Let's go --

// C
Bleeps and Blops!

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:12 pm

I threw away, "The Perfect Opportunity" to play a show in Washington DC, because I like to get drunk. I'm shure you've seen the thread. Man I was hyping it up and everything. I still feel like a total idiot.

When I was a teenager I used to laugh at Anti drug and alcohol adverts., programs, etc... The jokes on me now!

Like many others. Bye bye drugs, hello booze!!!!
Last edited by suburbanbather on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.