DJ Mixer (Cheap DJM600...)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Patch

DJ Mixer (Cheap DJM600...)

Post by Patch » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:51 am

Has anybody used the Behringer DJX700 mixer? It's touted as the poor man's DJM600 - and looks just like it. I've heard mixed reviews for it. Word on the street is that the line faders get crackley after 8 or 9 months. I'd only be using the 4 line faders to mix seperate outs from Live, and I'll be slamming the line faders quite a lot, so this is a great concern. I have been unable to determine if the line fader are replacable. Here's a link to the mixer:

http://www.behringer.com/djx700/index.cfm?lang=ENG

I've seen it reviewed on a few DJ forums - it seems that nobody loves it, but for £150 can it be that bad??? Not concerned about the crossfader - I've got a Vestax 07ProD for scratching. The main out on the DJX will also go to one of the channels on this mixer.

What about the Focus-Fader mod to replace the on board x-fader???

stallos

Post by stallos » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:54 am

its funny - I have been looking at the exact same mixer.

I was playing on a DJM-600 the other day and its a lovely mixer. Obviously the Behringer isnt going to get close to that. In fact one review I read from a user said "If you are hoping for DJM-600 for 140 quid, then you are in for a big disappointment!"

The question is just how inferior is it ? - and will those faders mess up.

I cant decide whether to hang on and spend a bit more on getting something decent or just get it and maybe have to replace it in a year or so.

For me, I dont play my decks enough anymore to justify 600 squid on a new DJM so the Behringer seems like a good deal.

Let me know what you decide Patch and I will probably follow suit!

Behringer users - lets be hearing from yas

stal

arar

Post by arar » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:15 pm

My old gemini mixer is on its last legs, Im going to make enquires about these behringer mixers at two music shops were I know the staff, I will let you know how I get on!

martin808

Post by martin808 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:24 pm

my friend has had one of those for about 9 months now and the cracks are beginning to show. the crossfaders gone and needs replaced but the faders are still working well. The button that switches the fx on and off keeps jamming on so he can barely use the effects. its got tons of effects though, but they're not really that good and most of them sound the same. Good for delays and thats about it.

on the other hand my bro has had his djm600 for years thats taken abuse all its life plus it gets carted down the club every month. Its never failed, love it!

if you cant afford the 600 i think you would be better spending your money on a basic dj mixer just with eq's and quality faders, stanton do some good ones. my 2p

mr ed

Post by mr ed » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:30 pm

i've got a djm600 and love it. the sound quality isnt the best, but i think its easy to use and quite good fun.

as a general rule behringer stuff is rubbish.. that mixer is cheap for a reason. the build quality isnt great, and the sound quality is also pretty bad.

Although they are cheap, i dont see the point in buying it if your gonna worry about breaking it while your using/abusing it!!

martin808

Post by martin808 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:35 pm

behringer wrote:Your crowd will be astounded by the 47 breathtaking digital effect presets in 24-bit quality: delay, reverb, flanger, filter, panner, ultrabass, exciter, Vinylizer, voice changer and more. Your audience will be astounded, but they’ll never have to know your secret.
:lol:

Patch

Post by Patch » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:39 pm

I've been checking on a lot of DJ forums, and the general idea is that these things fall apart after about 8 months. Obviously this is gonna be diferent depending on how much you use it...

I need to know if taking proper care of the faders (regular cleaning and lubing) will extend the life. I'm not too worried about the quality of the effects - I'll be using Live to add effects before the audio even hits the mixer. Like I said - I really just need the line faders...

Any suggestions for other 4-channel mixers? I doubt very much there will me any that are any good for the price.

The DJX700 looks sweet...

arar

Post by arar » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:26 pm

Aye, I have taken advice as I said I would..basically the only sub £200 mixers that get a thumbs up are stantons..I have a behringer bcr 2000 controler which is good, but the knobs are bit rubbish, I think I would stay away from the dj mixer if I were you...

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:44 pm

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Glibness aside, I messed around with this Behringer unit at the store the other day. It definitely looks and feels cheap -- but functionally the only thing it seems to be missing from the DJM is the loop-sampler.

hth,
rs

p_insect

Post by p_insect » Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:24 pm

I've used enough crappy behringer products to never even consider putting my audio through one again. I wouldn't trust those faders at all...better off staying away from it IMO.

kennerb

Post by kennerb » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:00 am

I've had one for a couple of years. No problems for me at all and I have used the hell out of it. The faders are not the tops but tha'ts fine by me. I don't do much skratchin.

at the time I was broke and had a gig. My numark had broken so it was a good $200 dollar investment. Wouldn't mind having the Pioneer. Next $1000 I have laying around may go to one.
3ghz Pentium 4 (Prescott), XP Sp2, 1gig Ram, Dual Monitor with Matrox Millenium, MOTU Traveler, Event EZ8 Adat card. Also IBM THinkpad t40 1.6 1 gig ram

yeager

Post by yeager » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:47 am

no no , dont get that mixer, its very ummm, dupont. the djm 800, is being released in april, so the 600 will become rasonable.. the 800 by the way is looking sexy, and live friendly :D

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:06 am

you get what you pay for

if you play alot go for quality, its well worth it

personally i'd go allen & heath before pioneer tho

i'v had a xone 62 for 6 years, beat it up and down. and it still sounds sweet.. never a pop
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:11 pm

I ended up grabbing a Denon x500 (i think that's the name?) to try out for a few gigs. I am optimistic, as it seems very well built.

It's a rackmount, 4U, 4-channel mixer and it cost $400 -- but I think if it were in a battle mixer format it would be more like a $600-$700 mixer. The 19" form factor is actually an advantage IMO, if you use a laptop. That way it can sit right in front of the laptop and you can easily use both.

* It has 3-band, rotary full kills per channel
* eq toggle per channel
* each channel is assignable to either side of the crossfader or to thru
* any input can be assigned to any channel
* channel faders and crossfader are VCA and replaceable
* adjustable crossfader curve
* split cue available

There are no special effects or sampler, but then again if you're using a laptop those are readily available...

rs

Patch

Post by Patch » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:53 pm

I've just found out some interesting news about the Behringer DJX700. It's covered by Behringers new 24 month warranty. This means that if the mixer fails or breaks (I think faders are excluded, though - and these faders DO DIE after 8 or 9 months) you can return the unit to ANY Behringer dealer for a replacement...

So - if you're devious (and I AM) once the faders die you can crack open the mixer, break something, maybe the PSU or one of the PCB's in there (ooops - how'd that happen?) and get a replacement - as long as you have the original receipt... :twisted: