the oft-neglected arrange page...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
homerjsim

the oft-neglected arrange page...

Post by homerjsim » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:06 pm

I know Live's primarily about the seesion page, but how about a few features for the arrange page?

1. BYPASSING GRID
Alt-dragging bypasses the grid when editing within a midi clip, but why not up at the at the clip level (editing start/end/placement) on the arrange page too ? (this would go for midi *and* audio clips). I know I could always turn off the grid with crtl-4, but a) then I can't see where I am 9 tracks down on the arrange page because the lines go away, and b) it's clunky to have to turn it on/off.

Alt-dragging should bypass the grid *everywhere*, including the sample editor window of an audio clip. Turning the grid off via Crtl-4 doesn't even work in there as a workaround - it seems tied to the arrange grid - imho, the sample grid should be conceptually finer-grained and independant of the arrange grid, just like the envelope grid is...

2. NON-DESTRUCTIVE AUDIO CLIP CROSSFADES
bitte

3. QUICKTIME
bitte

having said that, ain't Live grand?

mr-e

Post by mr-e » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:16 pm

bitte
oh yes plz !!!

btw , I almost never use session view.

homerjsim

and another thing...

Post by homerjsim » Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:45 pm

(now that I've gotten started...:) If I'm in arrange and I already have a clip in the sample editor window I've been working on, and then I click somewhere in blank space up on the arrange page just as a way to set a new playback start point, I don't want my clip to disappear from the editor window!!! (i.e. "No clip selected")

It's kind of obvious, but the editor window should only update to where I click on Arrange if I.... ***click on another clip*** !!

atmofunk

Post by atmofunk » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:09 pm

agreed~!

I'm primarily all about he arrange mode myself so yeah i'm with ya -- except quicktime.. dunno why i could possibly want that.
http://mixlogistics.com | http://www.myspace.com/mixlogistics | Live 6.0.3 | Oxygen8v2 | Trigger Finger

mr-e

Post by mr-e » Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:20 pm

It's kind of obvious, but the editor window should only update to where I click on Arrange if I.... ***click on another clip*** !!
once again , totally agree , keep posting !

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:46 pm

While talking about crossfades, why not ask for a fade in/out too! Select in the track, choose eg fade in, and the clip volume envelope automatically is set from zero to max over the selection.

homerjsim

Post by homerjsim » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:56 pm

yep.

but just as important and far easier for the developers to implement would be for them to fix the grid behaviours (see above)

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:47 pm

mr-e wrote:
once again , totally agree , keep posting !
yes, and keep posting in the feature wishlist section! ;)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Jan Holm

Post by Jan Holm » Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:42 pm

Another vote for

- Grid bypassing
- Non destuctive fade in fade out

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:03 pm

Michael-SW wrote:While talking about crossfades, why not ask for a fade in/out too! Select in the track, choose eg fade in, and the clip volume envelope automatically is set from zero to max over the selection.
yes please to the berlin gods

jesQuick

Post by jesQuick » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:24 pm

atmofunk wrote:agreed~!

I'm primarily all about he arrange mode myself so yeah i'm with ya -- except quicktime.. dunno why i could possibly want that.
What? Would be sweet to do sound-design directly in Live...! Awsome...Quicktime and TC sync... Thats high on my wishlist!

OT - I know

Carry on...

glu

Post by glu » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:48 pm

you mean you can't set an easy fade like in Pro Tools or Soundforge? I thought I was just missing something in the manual, damn........
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

spiderprod

Re: the oft-neglected arrange page...

Post by spiderprod » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:11 pm

homerjsim wrote:
bitte
is drawing volume envelope not enough ?

ILTK

Post by ILTK » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:43 pm

Something like this would be awesome:

(Horrible ascii clip drawing, sorry)

--------------------------------------
|> = Handle ====== Handle = <|
--------------------------------------

Then to do a fadeout/in just grab the handle and drag without even going to clip properties or messing with draving envelopes, content click on handles to select mode (Liniar, log, sinus, cosinus etc..)

Perhaps drag up/down (Like when zooming) to adjust the slope of whatever slope mode you have selected.

Same for objects in the arrange view, overlap two clips, click on either one to 'bring to front' and then grab the handles and drag to set the fade or just select so a portion of each clip is marked, then select crossfade, and then you could do fine adjustments with the object handles.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:23 pm

I use both - alot of people do

session is tight but arrange is chill -

how about them apples

oh yeah, def a feature wishlist, crossfades and the such

good luck
Ableton | Elektron

Music