registration hell

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Geraldo

registration hell

Post by Geraldo » Tue May 14, 2002 12:45 am

I can't figure out how to unlock my 1.5 update!
I bought Live from Guitar Center today and after installing and getting the 1st challenge response I decided to get the 1.5 update. But I'm not smart enough to figure out the next level of this game. Why do I have to get another challenge response when I already paid for the software??
This is very frustrating. Now my copy of Live will time out in 10 days. Internet Explorer refuses to launch when I hit the button. If I put in the 1st challenge I get an error message. I went back to the website and tried to unlock it with a new challenge response but it still says the new response is not valid!!! This absolutely sucks!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Phonon

Post by Phonon » Tue May 14, 2002 1:19 am

Is there some reason that you won't be able to contact Ableton customer service and work this out within the next ten days?

Relax. The Ableton people are very helpful and responsive. Email them now, then enjoy the software while you wait for them to respond. That doesn't sound like too big of a deal to me. It's useless to let yourself get frustrated over technical difficulties. Electronic musicians would rarely get anything done otherwise.

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Tue May 14, 2002 2:14 am

Thank you Phonon (fo-non?)for the sage advise.
Ableton? Where is my code! :o

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Tue May 14, 2002 7:08 am

Well Geraldo the response is to keep illegitimate users from using the software illegally. This is for your own good - and BTW, I've had to install my copy of Live several times (different OS-es), and received new registration codes via the website immediately....every time.
Take it easy....

Geraldo

Post by Geraldo » Tue May 14, 2002 10:41 pm

Thank you Format for explaining the purposes behind software protection. I feel much safer now. :p

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Tue May 14, 2002 11:25 pm

"the response is to keep illegitimate users from using the software illegally."

Except for the fact that it fails to do this in any way whatsoever, as cracked copies of every version of Live have appeared on the web within days of the legitimate release.

I too have had trouble with suddenly expiring registration codes. And it's all well and good to say that it's easy to get a new code from the website. But what if I'm asked for a code 10 minutes before my set, onstage, away from an internet connection.

The point is (or at least it should be): copy protection that makes things easier for pirates and harder for legitimate users is poorly designed. Especially when it also fails to function as copy protection.

Dennis DeSantis
http://www.dennisdesantis.com

FORMAT

Post by FORMAT » Wed May 15, 2002 6:30 am

Registration code expiring sounds horrible, I've never experienced it so far and therefore never thought it possible. But imagine Emagic's new protection scheme with the XSkey: All your codes are stored within that device.... suppose someone stole it before a show or you simple can't find it because you took it off for transport...!!! I reckon both are impractical.

monolake

copy protection

Post by monolake » Sat May 18, 2002 7:00 pm

Yes we know that copy protection sucks. We can imagine much better things to do with our time then designing, implementing and testing copy protection stuff. We have been discussing these issues again and again and for the reason FORMAT did mention ( lost dongles ) we decided to implement a response scheme. There are other scenarios which I did experience and found much more annoying like being asked for the original disk while on tour.....

robert / ableton

Mike

copy protection

Post by Mike » Wed Jun 05, 2002 9:59 pm

I use 2 macs and 2 macOs's. I know I can get only two codes/responces - which I did, but week later one of the mac's crashed and i had to reinstall the system - and UALA - new challange number appeared on the screen. suprisingly the same computer gives 2nd challenge key. now what? ask for the 3rd responce number? will you give me one even if i call? :?: THX