new to Ableton, quick question...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dubstyle5000

new to Ableton, quick question...

Post by dubstyle5000 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:20 pm

I just started using Ableton but my computer seems to be dragging on track playback, resulting in terrible lag. Has anybody else had this problem? Is there a way to increase the amount of RAM being dedicated to either the program or my sound card?

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:12 pm

I think you need to post a lot of more information to get some useful advice:

What computer, soundcard, card drivers, version of Live, how much CPU is getting used, what kind of track are you playing.

dubstyle5000

Okay, here goes...

Post by dubstyle5000 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:52 pm

My computer is pretty weak. I'm using the sound card which came with my computer. I bought an M-Audio Oxygen 8 V2, installed Live Lite and everything seemed to be working fine. It plays the demo song in Live no problem, and I can record midi data with no issues, latency, etc. But when I go to listen to the midi I just recorded, the playback cursor is all jumpy, and thus does not re-play the data in proper time. Is this a soundcard issue? A processor issue? It seems that if I can record the midi data without a problem, that it should play back without a problem. What also confuses me is that I can use Fruity Loops to record midi data and everything works fine on playback. FYI, my processor speed is only 1.7 Ghz. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:32 pm

Still really not enough information. You are on a PC, right? How much memory? Which OS version? Playing your midi on a softsynth or external hardware? Using lot of effects?

Anyway, it sounds strange. Perhaps a processor issue, perhaps memory, perhaps a disk issue (but not likely with just MIDI). What CPU usage is Live reporting in the top right corner? If that is going over 50-60%, CPU strain is the likely culprit. Lack of memory is also a very distinct possbility. Make sure you don't autoload a lot of crap on start up.

Also make sure you have enough free disk, at least 30% or so and that your disk is defragmented.

If you are on a PC (probably if you are running FL?) and your sound card doesn't have ASIO drivers, install the free www.asio4all.com drivers. Might not help with this particular issue (but perhaps?) but they will benefit you greatly anyway because of lower overall latency.

alan*

Post by alan* » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:14 am

Also, maybe run the live 5 performance test on it (search in this forum) to compare it to other computers of similar type.
2.16ghz mbp 3gb, motu ultralite

http://myspace.com/indijika

dubstyle5000

Post by dubstyle5000 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:26 pm

Thanks guys. I'll try some of that stuff. And yes, I am on a PC.

dubstyle5000

Post by dubstyle5000 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:20 pm

If anybody is interested in what the problem ended up to be, it was that my buffer size was set too low on the input. Bumped it up a little and it works like a charm. And to think I almost bought a new computer 8O.