MIDI not lining up right

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
domminicus51

MIDI not lining up right

Post by domminicus51 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:40 pm

Ok, here's the deal. So I turn on the metronome, set auto quantization off, and record a little midi clip from my keyboard in perfect time with the metronome. But the notes get recorded around a half a beat AHEAD of where they're supposed to be. (Not during playback, but on the grid itself) I've been really frustrated with this for a while now. I can fix it by selecting all the notes in the clip and just sliding them over to where they're supposed to be, but there has to be some other thing that I'm missing here. I went through and fiddled with all the delay and latency compensations but I can't seem to figure out what it is. It's like it's auto-compensating for the input delay, but the auto compensation is way too much.

Tyrant

Post by Tyrant » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:01 pm

what system do u use? what audio interface?
P4 3.2 ghz 1gb ram,160gb system hd,80gb audio hd,M-Audio AudioPhile 24/96,M-Audio Delta 1010 LT,M-Audio Radium 49,M-Audio Trigger Finger,Uc 16,Roland MC 303,Beringer EuroRack UB1622FX Pro,Alesis Monitor 1 MK2

domminicus51

Post by domminicus51 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:12 pm

it's a P4 1.5 with 256mb and a creative soundblaster card. Not the fastest of computers, but it runs near perfectly in sonar 4 with both audio and midi work.

Human Koala

Post by Human Koala » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:48 am

check the midi latency setup in the preferences
maybe you have a negative latency compensation set on the midi input port

HK

domminicus51

Post by domminicus51 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:48 pm

Nope, all the midi delay compensations are set to 0.0. I have all of the syncs turned off, anyhow.

BTMan

Same problem

Post by BTMan » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:19 am

I'm having exactly the same problem - the weird thing is that it just started today after working fine for weeks...

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:39 am

Ive been having a similar problem with Live 5.whatever
First Live doesn't always record midi with great accuracy (More so with drums)
Even if the notes in a midi clip are lined up, when it gets recorded into audio they will be slightly off e.g the first note gets cut in half with its other half appearing at the other end of the audio clip (It joins up when the clip loops).
All latency settings correct but theres some unknown extra slowness on midi going out to ext instruments.
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:41 pm

kineticUk wrote:Ive been having a similar problem with Live 5.whatever
First Live doesn't always record midi with great accuracy (More so with drums)
Even if the notes in a midi clip are lined up, when it gets recorded into audio they will be slightly off e.g the first note gets cut in half with its other half appearing at the other end of the audio clip (It joins up when the clip loops).
All latency settings correct but theres some unknown extra slowness on midi going out to ext instruments.
yeah samething here aswell, ive tried it with the beta 5.2 and the samething happens.

ive sent messages to ableton about this.
Drums

domminicus51

Post by domminicus51 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:47 am

Have you gotten a response yet?

HolySpiritSoldier

Post by HolySpiritSoldier » Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:32 pm

[quote="Cryptic UK"

yeah samething here aswell, ive tried it with the beta 5.2 and the samething happens.

ive sent messages to ableton about this.[/quote]

Yo Cryptic..

Just looking at your Laptop specs.. .you have a 'Core Audio' soundcard.. Is that the built-in soundcard that comes with a mac?
Its just my mate has started using Live with his new G5, and I was trying to set it up for him. but I told him he needs to get a new soundcard.. . In the perferences the sound is set to 'Core Audio'...the latency seems terrible, and when I tried to set up external sync, it was a nightmare.
That onboard soundcard doesn't seem built for pro audio work. maybe thats your problem.

Alex

Post by Alex » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:51 pm

domminicus51,

do you refer to the latest final version of Live 5 which is Live 5.0.3?
Furthermore, do you use an ASIO driver for the soundblaster card or do you use the DirectX driver?

kineticUk,
when it gets recorded into audio they will be slightly off e.g the first note gets cut in half with its other half appearing at the other end of the audio clip
So are all "notes" in the audio clip delayed compared to MIDI source clip so that the "notes" in the audio clip are in sync to each other
or
are the "notes" in the audio clip not in sync to each other so maybe only one "note" is to early or to late?

regards,
/Alex

Cryptic UK

Post by Cryptic UK » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:30 pm

HolySpiritSoldier wrote:

Yo Cryptic..

Just looking at your Laptop specs.. .you have a 'Core Audio' soundcard.. Is that the built-in soundcard that comes with a mac?
Its just my mate has started using Live with his new G5, and I was trying to set it up for him. but I told him he needs to get a new soundcard.. . In the perferences the sound is set to 'Core Audio'...the latency seems terrible, and when I tried to set up external sync, it was a nightmare.
That onboard soundcard doesn't seem built for pro audio work. maybe thats your problem.
Theres nothing wrong with the core audio soundcard it works fine in cubase.

ive also tried it with my Virus TI as the soundcard and the samething happens.

the core audio is a good soundcard especially as its built in.

peace
Drums

kineticUk

Post by kineticUk » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:30 am

Alright Alex,

You asked me...

So are all "notes" in the audio clip delayed compared to MIDI source clip so that the "notes" in the audio clip are in sync to each other

Yes Exactly

The Gap (Extra Midi Latency) before the first beat is the main problem (I know how to workaround it but its a waste of time) Clip Start/End Points end up offset, if you get me.

Can U Fix It?
MacBook MacOS Live 9.7.1 Max for Live Push Logic

Beatworld

Post by Beatworld » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:32 am

Have you tried recording the midi parts with Options>Delay Compensation turned off ?

http://www.myspace.com/beatworldperth

3.06Ghz 24" iMac 10.5.7 4Gb:Apogee Duet:Logic Studio 8.02:Live Lite 7:Waves 6:Axiom 49 > museum 1.4GHz G4: 2408 MkII:Poco PCI:Live 5.2:SX3.1.1:Peak 5.2 : BFD2.1

Alex

Post by Alex » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:58 am

Hi kineticUk,

so if you still a constant gap you could try compensate it by entering a corresponding value for in the Overall Latency Compensation value of the Audio preferences.

How much in ms is this gap?

regards,
/Alex