A way to turn on/off plugins in clip envelopes?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tomperson

A way to turn on/off plugins in clip envelopes?

Post by tomperson » Fri Feb 24, 2006 3:10 pm

Is there a way to turn on/off plugins with clip envelopes? I couldn't find that. The only way I can imagine now is to assign a midi note to plugin on/off, and then doing a clip that sends that midi note out to midi yoke and then loop it back to the track in question...which seems a bit overkill for something so simple...

Any ideas?
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:11 pm

If a plug has a wet - dry param. you could use envelopes to go from say 40% wet to 0% wet. Or, for instance you are using a compressor( no wet/dry ).You can use an envelope to set the threshold way up high, so the compresser isnt catching anything.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Mon Feb 27, 2006 3:35 pm

No, no, I don't want to control the dry/wet, I want full device ON/OFF. In arrangement automation it's there, but in session envelopes not. I don't want that plugin eating CPU cycles unless I really need it (and I really need it in just parts of my set).
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

stallos

Post by stallos » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:25 pm

I've been looking for this too.

I like using it in arrangement mode but if you could do it session view too - that would be delightful!

heres hoping!

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:39 pm

I'm not an expert, but from what I can tell the answer to question is "no".

I think this has been mentioned in the "feature request" forum as well.

atmofunk

Post by atmofunk » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:02 pm

afaik even if you turn the device off it's still gonna eat CPU anyways
http://mixlogistics.com | http://www.myspace.com/mixlogistics | Live 6.0.3 | Oxygen8v2 | Trigger Finger