setting up a clip to toggle

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:14 pm

conny wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:
on the second clip set follow actions to previous and the time to: 0:1:0

on the second clip switch Legato on
The second clip still breaks off before the key is released if clip is longer than 0:1:0, no?

// C
if legato is on (second clip) and you keep pressing the mapped key, the clip will continue to play until you stop pressing (repeatedly) the mapped key.

with some midipipe/midiyoke routing an an arpeggiator, u can negate the need to keep pressing the said key.

forge

Post by forge » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:17 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
conny wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:
on the second clip set follow actions to previous and the time to: 0:1:0

on the second clip switch Legato on
The second clip still breaks off before the key is released if clip is longer than 0:1:0, no?

// C
if legato is on (second clip) and you keep pressing the mapped key, the clip will continue to play until you stop pressing (repeatedly) the mapped key.

with some midipipe/midiyoke routing an an arpeggiator, u can negate the need to keep pressing the said key.
what do you mean by pressing repeatedly? he meant holding it down - like gate mode

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:21 pm

forge wrote:
sweetjesus wrote:
conny wrote: The second clip still breaks off before the key is released if clip is longer than 0:1:0, no?

// C

what do you mean by pressing repeatedly? he meant holding it down - like gate mode
i know what he means, but he is trying to find a solution which doesnt really exist.

pressing repeatedly means just that ... 'keep tapping the button for the second clip'... it will play in time and when you stop tapping the button for it, it will play the previous clip.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:35 pm

conny/forge:

http://www.fridge.net.au/live/demo.als

replace the two clips with your own loops and then keep pressing the "s" key on your keyboard...

conny

Post by conny » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:56 pm

Pressing (holding) "s", clips breaks after 0.1.0.

I have a solution involving Plogue Bidule, that skips the follow actions totally and instead filters out the note of for second clip and produces another note event to trigger the first clip.

Midi Yoke involved, so PC set up.

Midi keyboard C3 holds second sample, release launches first sample. C4 toggles first sample.

http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/Live/Exam ... /pedro.zip

// C
PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:56 pm

mrweasel wrote:It proved to be an interesting post in the end but still, I maintain that looking in a manual before posting doesn't hurt.

This is the way I see things, in order not to clutter forums with the same info.

1-open manual PDF file
2-Press Ctrl+F /Apple+F to start a search
3-ype a keyword (eg. trigger)

4-If no solution is there or the manual still seems unclear, then do a search in the forum for your subject, if if it's been addressed several times, use the most relevant thread if there is one and continue it.

5-Search in the forum and the manual was unsuccessful create a new post.

That's the way I do it. Don't mean to sound anal but it really prevents cluttering forums + it helps centralising information on forums (and therefore improves searches within the forum for those who take the time to do so).

I mean how many posts do you see in this forum that are unanswered because people didn't bother doing any search at all. If those posts are unanswered, it's because most users would generally agree with the "research b4 post" policy.

Anyways. That was my little rant.
At the same time, I appreciate the high degree of helpfulness from the members of this forum.

Have a good day
don't want to sound harsh, but why don't YOU rather search the forum/manual before assessing that a problem has been addressed before?

you would have known that my problem was genuine.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:01 pm

This is a though one.
I figured out a way. But it won't do you much good, because you need to press a button at the time you release the note.
You might as well just trigger a clip then.

Conny's solution for bidule would probably do the trick.

conny

Post by conny » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:02 pm

Just realized that when downloading this set, the Bidule VST settings in it does not preserve the Midi Joke set up.
I have Midi Yoke 4 out as remote in in Live. So after downloading I have to reinsert Midi Yoke 4 out as midi device in Bidule, receiving midi from the transposer and the note creator.

// C
Bleeps and Blops!

forge

Post by forge » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:06 pm

I dont have bidule - is it still free?

forge

Post by forge » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:10 pm

peeddrroo wrote:
mrweasel wrote:It proved to be an interesting post in the end but still, I maintain that looking in a manual before posting doesn't hurt.

This is the way I see things, in order not to clutter forums with the same info.

1-open manual PDF file
2-Press Ctrl+F /Apple+F to start a search
3-ype a keyword (eg. trigger)

4-If no solution is there or the manual still seems unclear, then do a search in the forum for your subject, if if it's been addressed several times, use the most relevant thread if there is one and continue it.

5-Search in the forum and the manual was unsuccessful create a new post.

That's the way I do it. Don't mean to sound anal but it really prevents cluttering forums + it helps centralising information on forums (and therefore improves searches within the forum for those who take the time to do so).

I mean how many posts do you see in this forum that are unanswered because people didn't bother doing any search at all. If those posts are unanswered, it's because most users would generally agree with the "research b4 post" policy.

Anyways. That was my little rant.
At the same time, I appreciate the high degree of helpfulness from the members of this forum.

Have a good day
don't want to sound harsh, but why don't YOU rather search the forum/manual before assessing that a problem has been addressed before?

you would have known that my problem was genuine.
well, why would someone go on to post something that long and still not contribute to answering the question? He would have answered your question about 5 times with that amount of text and time writing it if he genuinely knew the answer.

You're right peeeddrroo - the forum really has gone downhill of late, there's not the same helpful vibe there used to be.

conny

Post by conny » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:12 pm

forge wrote:I dont have bidule - is it still free?
No, it's about 70$ I guess.
30 days evaluation if I'm not wrong.
Machinate may do the same thing in Reaktor maybe?
Or some in Max?

// C
Bleeps and Blops!

conny

Post by conny » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:15 pm

Bidule standalone layout here (may be loaded in the Bidule VST in Live also):

http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/Bidule/Te ... dro.bidule

// C
Bleeps and Blops!

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:39 pm

conny wrote:Pressing (holding) "s", clips breaks after 0.1.0.

I have a solution involving Plogue Bidule, that skips the follow actions totally and instead filters out the note of for second clip and produces another note event to trigger the first clip.

Midi Yoke involved, so PC set up.

Midi keyboard C3 holds second sample, release launches first sample. C4 toggles first sample.

http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/Live/Exam ... /pedro.zip

// C
conny, u didnt get my setup at all.

press s repeatedly... not just once.

if you want to simulate the key being pressed repeatedly, you can use midi yoke on a channel and whack an arpeggiator on it... no need for a 3rd party app and $70 for bidule.

gaspode

Post by gaspode » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:07 pm

Why don't you set both clips to legato mode so that you can press one key to switch to clip 1, and then press another key to clip 2.

I am assuming that you are not considering to do this because the clips are not of equal length, or one is a full song or something... but consider this.

If you have a song that is say 128 measures... and you have a loop that is 4 measures... this would normally not allow you to seemlessly transition between them with legato mode because then you'll get dumped back to the beginning of your song between the first four measures somewhere... but you can always create envelope automation on clip 2 so that it is also 128 measures long.

Now when you switch between the two they can both have the same length...

To setup a proof of concept here is what I did:

1) Setup Clip 1, which is 4 Measures. Assign it to key press "a". In Launch mode set it to Legato, and set quantization to None.

2) Setup Clip 2, which is 1/4 of a Measure. Assign it to key press "s". In Launch mode set it to Legato, and set quantization to None. Now go to Envelopes. For example Clip Volume. Unlink the Clip Volume Envelope and set it's length to 4 Measures. Having any automation here is not required as just unlinking the envelope and setting a length will allow you to make live "think" that you are working with a 4 measure clip now. Neat huh?

3) I set the tempo to 20, just so I could make sure that it was working as intended... but go ahead and start clip 1... when you get bored, start clip 2. When you trigger clip 1 again it will take off where the "4 Measure" clip 2 was at in time.

Issues... well for this simple example... nothing is in sync... damnit! To work around this... I would make a duplicate version of Clip 1 that is set to quantize global, or bar or whatever, and use that to get the party started. Once it is going, then you can freely use your legato'd and quantize none clips and they will stay in sync.

I know that this isn't *exactly* the one key solution you were looking for. But I hope it is simple and handy enough for you to get done what you needed.

All the best, and hopefully you'll realize that there are still a few helpful people around here :)

Greg

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:15 pm

gaspode wrote:Why don't you set both clips to legato mode so that you can press one key to switch to clip 1, and then press another key to clip 2.

I am assuming that you are not considering to do this because the clips are not of equal length, or one is a full song or something... but consider this.

If you have a song that is say 128 measures... and you have a loop that is 4 measures... this would normally not allow you to seemlessly transition between them with legato mode because then you'll get dumped back to the beginning of your song between the first four measures somewhere... but you can always create envelope automation on clip 2 so that it is also 128 measures long.

Now when you switch between the two they can both have the same length...

To setup a proof of concept here is what I did:

1) Setup Clip 1, which is 4 Measures. Assign it to key press "a". In Launch mode set it to Legato, and set quantization to None.

2) Setup Clip 2, which is 1/4 of a Measure. Assign it to key press "s". In Launch mode set it to Legato, and set quantization to None. Now go to Envelopes. For example Clip Volume. Unlink the Clip Volume Envelope and set it's length to 4 Measures. Having any automation here is not required as just unlinking the envelope and setting a length will allow you to make live "think" that you are working with a 4 measure clip now. Neat huh?

3) I set the tempo to 20, just so I could make sure that it was working as intended... but go ahead and start clip 1... when you get bored, start clip 2. When you trigger clip 1 again it will take off where the "4 Measure" clip 2 was at in time.

Issues... well for this simple example... nothing is in sync... damnit! To work around this... I would make a duplicate version of Clip 1 that is set to quantize global, or bar or whatever, and use that to get the party started. Once it is going, then you can freely use your legato'd and quantize none clips and they will stay in sync.

I know that this isn't *exactly* the one key solution you were looking for. But I hope it is simple and handy enough for you to get done what you needed.

All the best, and hopefully you'll realize that there are still a few helpful people around here :)

Greg
Spoken to Peeddrroo, and unless I misunderstood, he needs a solution which will trigger the original and secondary clips from the first beat as opposed to continuing where they were in relation to the last one.