MD/VA/DC Baltimore/Washington DC/NoVA/MidAtlantic

Promote your gigs or events.
mikemc

MD/VA/DC Baltimore/Washington DC/NoVA/MidAtlantic

Post by mikemc » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:49 pm

A Live night occured on a Sunday at the Black Cat in DC in January. That event was organized ably and admirably by DK, it was successful, and he posted in General that another could occur soon at the same venue, and I'm thinking this could happen maybe even regularly.

So if you are interested, post here *simply*, stating if you want to be involved and what you could provide not only in the way of Live set/performance type but in terms of artwork/promo materials, visuals, set-up, engineering, etc.. Some pre-gig meetings a'la user group were held, and we might want to consider doing that.

I humbly suggest we can distribute some of the organizational/logistical load a little better this time and only hope we can do as good a job as DK did almost all by his lonesome last time. :)

I'm going to be PM'ing/emailing people who participated in January.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

suspended childhood

Post by suspended childhood » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:18 pm

im in. page on myspace to join:

www.myspace.com/warp_mddcva

i also think we should do this at least monthly. how many people showed up at the last one?

im gonna be talking to bars and clubs next week in the baltimore area.

id like to do an "open laptop" type format.
John Deere 9860STS Hydraflex , 15" MBP 2.5 C2D 4 gigs RAM, 15" MBP 2.33 Dual Core 3 gigs ram, ultralite x2, MPD 32, Kontrol49, v4, CG-8, live 7, reason 4, Trilogy, MiniMonsta, Oddity, M8. http://www.myspace.com/robclay

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:19 pm

I'm bout it. Unfortunately I don't really have any skills besides performing a set to contribute, although I can probably do a half-passable job running lights. I could bring chips and soda tho!

Will

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:53 pm

There were nine artists performing, $5, started at 9pm on a Sunday night, each was on for about 15-20 mins. There were about 80 people in the audience, room capacity is 150, I'd say not bad for a Sunday.

The room we played was the 'Backstage' room:
http://blackcatdc.com/rooms.html

IMO the nine performers was about max for a "next day's a workday" short night.

DJ RAY

Post by DJ RAY » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:27 pm

Phatso Brown is down.

suspended childhood

Post by suspended childhood » Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:34 pm

thats a lot of performers for one room.

there was 2 rooms in the nyc party....45 min sets. started at like 8... i rolled out around 1 it was on a tuesday night

probably around 60 people. it was free.
John Deere 9860STS Hydraflex , 15" MBP 2.5 C2D 4 gigs RAM, 15" MBP 2.33 Dual Core 3 gigs ram, ultralite x2, MPD 32, Kontrol49, v4, CG-8, live 7, reason 4, Trilogy, MiniMonsta, Oddity, M8. http://www.myspace.com/robclay

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:58 pm

suspended childhood wrote:thats a lot of performers for one room.
I agree. How about 5 performers/composers and a DJ (that's Phatso :) )
Re: format/styles/genres for the laptop sets, same as last time, anything goes, everything original.

Inductive

Post by Inductive » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:01 pm

Does anyone here happen to live on the eastern shore of maryland? I would love to meet up with some other live users and get drunk and rock beats or whatever, but I work at like 6am on mondays. DC is an ugly drive for me to do that late and try to wake up on time. I live in denton, just north of easton. I'm a useless human being in general but I have a big house on a ton of land and an endless supply of wiskey.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:08 pm

Inductive wrote:Does anyone here happen to live on the eastern shore of maryland? I would love to meet up with some other live users and get drunk and rock beats or whatever, but I work at like 6am on mondays. DC is an ugly drive for me to do that late and try to wake up on time.
yes, that is painful... but, hey...
I live in denton, just north of easton. I'm a useless human being in general but I have a big house on a ton of land and an endless supply of wiskey.
maybe this is where we have the summer midatlantic outdoor electronapalooza? :)

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:45 pm

mikemc wrote:
suspended childhood wrote:thats a lot of performers for one room.
I agree. How about 5 performers/composers and a DJ (that's Phatso :) )
Re: format/styles/genres for the laptop sets, same as last time, anything goes, everything original.

ah, but seriously, I overlooked something ...

suspended c mentioned on the other thread that he wanted a DJ slot. I recall Phatso mentioning he would like to be on Live next go 'round.

What is your preference, Ray?

suspended childhood

Post by suspended childhood » Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:19 am

what do you say we work on getting a place first before we nail down any slots.

hopefully we can come up with a place with 2 rooms....then maybe we can nail down like 4 slots with open laptop for the rest...or so.

or whatever else works itself out.

ive been djing in clubs weekly without a 7 day break since july 91, so im down for whatever.

im going to take this out live and when i start with it, im not gonna stop, besides, im still waiting on my macbook pro :)

Needs2Know

Post by Needs2Know » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:57 am

Fells point is pretty set in there ways I dont know if they'd let us do much of anything. but you never know. What about Federal Hill? I'm going to talk around and see what I can find out this weekend.

if anyone wants to collaberate on a possible venue for open LIVE laptop nights hit me up at joshbennetplays@yahoo or 253 279 0675

im also on my space

-Josh

D K

Post by D K » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:01 pm

the inherent problem with the dc metro area, or most any area as we all know,
is finding a facility that has the proper gear for free:
good luck.
this is what would set a "performance night" apart from a "user group"
per se.
if we do a said performance night in a proper setting with the appropriate gear,
there will have to be a cover at the door to fund the facility.
finding a place with two rooms is even more difficult, not to mention getting a large enough audience to make it worthwhile for everyone, including the venue.
the evening that was done at the cat was nice because although sets were 15-20 min. max each, they were mixed into eachother and there was a nonstop flow of music all evening. it never got redundant....
at the risk of sounding elitist(i'm not trying to be a dick here) i prefer to only have a dj spin the intro to the night and the altro, and to be on hand in case of any tech failures...i would personally prefer to help promote artists who use live to create/produce their own music. that's my thing. to be clear:
i appreciate a good dj as much as the next person, it's just a different type of thing.
i'm not trying to be a hater or anything!
that said, i'm more than willing to help with anything that anyone might step up for and make happen.
i'm looking into options right now, and will have more info soon for anyone that might be interested.
cheers
doug k

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:15 am

For Baltimore, I can look into getting the upstairs at the Ottobar.

Also it may be worth contacting Charm City Art Space, or even the Red Room at Normals.

Tranquil010

Post by Tranquil010 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:39 pm

I am totally interested in this. Will these clubs be 21+ ? I'm 18, but would love to join working cross fades to abusing our CPU's.!
Powerbook 1.67 ghz running Live 5 ::: DP 1.8 G5 running Logic, Live 5, Reason and many plug ins.
MOTU interfaces, M-Audio Key's and Control Surfaces, Glyph HD's :: "Buy low, sell high" ::