PC or MAC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kevintimm

PC or MAC

Post by kevintimm » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:33 am

Should I purchase a PC/Laptop or APPLE/MacBook to run Live on stage? :?:

amo

Post by amo » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:39 am

Not again ! :)

I would say, anything that suits your needs... Both platform run well, some prefer one over the other. After all, it's only machines right ?
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

ishimaru

Post by ishimaru » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:39 am

Whatever your comfortable working with.
Every situation(1) should be confronted with its opposite(2) to come to a better situation(3).

1 Thesis
2 Antithesis
3 Synthesis

- Hegel

kevintimm

PC or MAC

Post by kevintimm » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:47 am

I have had some people say that I might use a Mac instead as they are more stable live performances and do not have problems whith pagefile swapping and timing issues?

forgie

Post by forgie » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:51 am

A properly maintained machine of either platform will be comparable in terms of performance - that said, a windows machine will take much more 'maintenance' if you plan on using the internet on that computer. Be prepared to get familiar with antivirus software and firewalls (there's one built in to XP now). On a mac you don't have to worry about this sort of shit.

A PC will be cheaper for the same amount of performance, but will require more attention to keep it 'tuned', whereas a mac will set you back more, but will require less messing around to keep things running smoothly.

Digi V

Post by Digi V » Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:59 am

holy god, there has to be a rule about this.

any moderators around?

i'm the voice of mac, any windows users cross my line and i'll snap. =)

j/k

leonard

Post by leonard » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:12 am

consultation like this attracts fees out in the real world. I dont think you can rely on the good graces of the people on the ableton forum to just give you their time for nothing. Tell, you what, send me $10, 000, and I'll road test them both, and let you know how I go, eh?

leonard

Post by leonard » Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:14 am

thats in US dollers as well. My price includes consultation fees, finders fees, and administration fees. if you can find a better advertised price, I'll beat it by %10 !!!

forgie

Post by forgie » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:20 pm

Digi V wrote:holy god, there has to be a rule about this.

any moderators around?

i'm the voice of mac, any windows users cross my line and i'll snap. =)

j/k
I know I should just not post in these Mac/PC threads...

I'm actually the voice of a Mac and PC user - I've used PCs for 8 years of my life, and macs for 9 years total. What is it in my post that you object to? Was there something I said that you consider to be incorrect? Do you think I'm spreading FUD? If so, tell me what it was and we can talk, otherwise it would seem as though you're giving me shit for giving my opinion (which was, by the way, that a PC can and will be just as stable as a Mac if it's properly maintained). By all means object to my post by responding, but making holier then though remarks about moderators (there's no mods on this forum btw) is just.... pointless and futile. Seriously, Mac/PC and political threads on this forum are descending into "call the mods" threads as soon as someone so much as states an opinion. I'm sick of this shit.

I'm only hanging around here until Live 6 is out anyway, so you'll be rid of me and my crazy "have an opinion" attitude.

I just re-read your post, and I can't tell if you were taking the piss or not. Damn f#$%ing computer communication! Not to mention cross-cultural senses of humour. If you weren't giving me shit, then all is forgiven, and I apologise for ranting! :)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:20 pm

Loving Ableton (a lot), that is crossplatform, Logic and OSX are for me the main reasons for going mac. there is no substitution in my eyes.

and macs are friendlier in terms of maintainance...

if you are a *tweakhead and IT guru* you can get a PC to perform alright, but you still will be tight on windows, yuck. (IMHO)

the money issue, i am really not shure, a really decent PC with the same level of quality parts as a mac ships with, is about as expensive.
you might save a lttle money for more headache and lost time working (on music)... that doesn't make sense in my eyes, but everyone has a different opinion and experience on that.

this disscussion will be sooo... endless. (for every argument made MAC vs. PC expect a dozen different ones back and forth...)

as i said for me it's all about the applications, no Logic, DP, Peak and OSX, for me NO purchase.

pick what YOU feel comfortable with...

minimal

Post by minimal » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:27 pm

if you pose questions like this you will be fine with an atari falcon :twisted:

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:34 pm

minimal wrote:
if you pose questions like this you will be fine with an atari falcon Twisted Evil
even this topic is very dependend on personal preferences / and a lot about experiences... answers like that i don't really consider in any ways constructive...

have a nice day and happy music making.

minimal

Post by minimal » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:26 pm

subfunk:

I was being sarcastic, I spent the whole morning and half afternoon in an anechoic room measuring microphone responses for hearing aids, setting un multiband filters and stuff so I became sarcastic.

no offense intented!

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:28 pm

Get both. I for one write songs/noise whatever with Live, and tweak all sorts of parameters live, so a Live set to me is a single song.
It's dawned on me that two laptops or shuffle/macmini combo would be the way to go. Why not have access to both the cool free PC and mac software? as well as the benefits?
A mac mini is what? $599, somebody put a dual 2Ghz chip in it, and it's apparently working fine, the motherboard has no problem with it. Dell has dual laptops for ridiculously cheap if you are OK with adding RAM, and fast hard drives later.
I'm seriously thinking about becoming platform free, though IMO Apple will always be a more ethical company than Microsoft.

forgie

Post by forgie » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:39 pm

Machinesworking wrote:I'm seriously thinking about becoming platform free, though IMO Apple will always be a more ethical company than Microsoft.
Now now, you should know better then to make comments that could insight a flamewar from our windows using brethren! :)