M-Audio MobilePre USB issue

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aabuniaj

M-Audio MobilePre USB issue

Post by aabuniaj » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:37 pm

Hello,

I have bought the M-Audio MobilePre USB and I have installed the driver into my machine. It installed successfully with no errors. I opened up Ableton to start testing it, it records fine except it's recording only MONO! I looked everywhere to find the problem but couldn't.

Does anyone know why it's only recording Mono? Is there a way to record Stereo?

Thanks,

aabuniaj

Post by aabuniaj » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:27 pm

anybody please help?

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:32 am

What microphone are you using with it?

You may be using a mono mic.

You can record stereo / 2 tracks at the same time with the Mobilepre, so don't worry. You should check your input configuration in Live's preferences. Make sure it's set-up to accept two inputs.

If you have a mono microphone (most mics are mono), you can try plugging a stereo mini-plug mic into the little mic input on the back. Or, if you have two mics and two cables you can plug them both into the XLR inputs, assign and arm two separate audio tracks in Live and give it a go.

aabuniaj

Post by aabuniaj » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:36 pm

thanks for replying Sales Dude McBoob,

The microphone i have has a 1/4" plugin input. I tried it before over my friend's house who has an Creative Audigy 2 and it was stereo for sure. I think the problem is in the Live preferences, but I'm not quite sure why it's working correctly. I have recorded on the Windows Sound Recorder and it was recording fine. Also in Ableton I tried my Guitar and it has also a 1/4" plug, the same thing is happening where it's recording mono not stereo. So it's not only the mic, it's the guitar as well. I'm not really sure why it's doing that.

In Ableton, i went to preferences and then under the Audio tab, i clicked on Input config. then it shows me a message:
"Choose which audio hardware inputs ..." underneath there are two buttons, the 1(mono) & 2(mono) also the 1/2(stereo)
I have tried different combinations of enabling and disabling and they all do the same.

amo

Post by amo » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:48 pm

Hi,

A mono device will only need to be recorded in mono. If you get a stereo file, it will always be two times the same mono data. No use for that.

In Live, the way to choose inputs for a track is by using the drop-down menus between the clips area and the fader, on an audio track. You should choose input 1 or input 2, depending where your mic is plugged.
In the preferneces, leave all on, both stereo and mono inputs. It doesn't really matter.

Best,

amo
Live 5.0.3 - IBM Thinkpad R51 1.5ghz Centrino - 1,5 Go RAM - 7200 RPM 2nd HDD intern - RME Multiface - Windows XP Pro SP2

aabuniaj

Post by aabuniaj » Sun Mar 19, 2006 3:38 pm

thank you very much amo, that helped!
I really appreciate your help..