Can someone tell me if this is possible with Ableton...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mouk

Can someone tell me if this is possible with Ableton...

Post by Mouk » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:19 am

I'm gonna buy the Xone: 92 and I want efx (thought about getting a djm 600 but it aint worth it) Now all im really looking for is a loop function or maybe some reverb. Is it possible to use the Ableton effects at all? I won't be djing with Ableton at all i'll be using Serato(and Im pretty sure my computer can run both at once) but is that possible to use the effects from Ableton without actually playing the tracks in the program?

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:24 am

yes, just add audio tracks, assign I/O, and put the monitoring setting to "In" instead of "Auto". Do your effects and there you go.

Mouk

Post by Mouk » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:28 am

Damn, that's all I gotta do? And I can have great effects for nothing as opposed to buying a pioneer or korg efx unit for 500 bucks? Holy crap, I think i'm in love with Ableton now...ha didn't know it was that versitale.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:31 am

and that's just the tip of the iceberg :wink:

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:32 am

No matter which way I edit this I seem to come of rude.

Thats veeerd.
Last edited by mercyplease on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:49 am, edited 4 times in total.

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:41 am

rbmonosylabik wrote:yes, just add audio tracks, assign I/O, and put the monitoring setting to "In" instead of "Auto". Do your effects and there you go.
I dont think thats quite the case, Hes looking to run Serato Scratch and Ableton live on the same computer probably sharing the same sound card (good luck straight away) hes got to setup an fx loop on the xone using the very same soundcard that Ableton and Serato are using (easy enough) with the Serato vinyl signal returning to multiple inputs (how many aux sends 1, 2 , 3?) of the soundcard which is then sent to Ableton live monitored channels where he has to then set up a pre fade system so that hes not mixing the dry input signal with the fx from ableton because those wet FX signals have to come out of Live back in to the Xone all mixed perfectly in time with the Serato vinyl signal.

If it were me I would use an external FX box.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:45 am

mercyplease wrote:
rbmonosylabik wrote:yes, just add audio tracks, assign I/O, and put the monitoring setting to "In" instead of "Auto". Do your effects and there you go.
I dont think thats quite the case. Hes looking to run Serato Scratch and Ableton live on the same computer probably sharing the same sound card (good luck straight away) hes got to setup an fx loop on the xone using the very same soundcard that Ableton and Serato are using (easy enough) with the Serato vinyl signal returning to multiple inputs (how many Aux Sends 1, 2 , 3?) of the soundcard which is then sent to Ableton live monitored channels where he has to then set up a pre fade system so that hes not mixing the dry input signal with the FX from ableton becasue those wet FX signals have to come out of Live back in to the Xone all mixed perfectly in time with the Serato vinyl signal.

If it were me I would use an external FX box.
Holy 4 line long run on sentence, Batman!!!

I must confess I don't know how Serato Scratch works, but if this is the case then I'll second on the FX box

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:46 am

I got carried away with my superior knowledge. :lol:
Last edited by mercyplease on Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

rbmonosylabik

Post by rbmonosylabik » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:49 am

maybe using something like wormhole to route between Serato and Live?

Mouk

Post by Mouk » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:53 am

Well if you guys recommend an external efx unit...you know which one I should be looking at? Cuz like I said I don't really like effects all that much, dont wanna flage the hell outta something, just something I can use to loop with for however long, or maybe add some subtle reverb to a track when the bass cuts off or something, nothing extreme.

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:00 am

rbmonosylabik wrote:maybe using something like wormhole to route between Serato and Live?
Yes maybe your on to something there, but it would mean he would have to control his sends from within Live so that means a controler or he could do it via a mouse which isnt exactly hands on but do-able. Im not sure this dj considering what he uses would want to mess around with to much technology. Mind you Im basing this on that hes a hands on performance dj amd maybe wouldnt would want to mess around with truckloads of technology but who knows?, I mean im just pissing in the wind here waiting for the master jedi of knowledge to arrive (I heard hes sniffing around these parts) .

There was also some stuff about monitoring that I was going to mention but Im tired now.

So this wormhole thingy, how would you go about wiring all this up?

Lets give the guy a workable solution.
Last edited by mercyplease on Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:02 am

Mouk wrote:Well if you guys recommend an external efx unit...you know which one I should be looking at? Cuz like I said I don't really like effects all that much, dont wanna flage the hell outta something, just something I can use to loop with for however long, or maybe add some subtle reverb to a track when the bass cuts off or something, nothing extreme.
Id love to help you there but will have to leave that to someone who knows about dj fx stuff.

Mouk

Post by Mouk » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:05 am

Yeah that does seem like alot of extra work just for 1 or 2 efx through my computer. I kinda wanted a simple solution to it, but if you can explain i'd gladly listen. Cuz im sure in the next 6 months I'll change my mind and want 2 laptops goin and all kinds of stuff while im on stage.

And I appreciate the kind help with this, thank you.

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:24 am

Mouk wrote:Yeah that does seem like alot of extra work just for 1 or 2 efx through my computer. I kinda wanted a simple solution to it, but if you can explain i'd gladly listen. Cuz im sure in the next 6 months I'll change my mind and want 2 laptops goin and all kinds of stuff while im on stage.

And I appreciate the kind help with this, thank you.
I really wish I could help you firther but your now in the realms out of my depth. I could only explain the logistics of your original query and from what I am reading it sounds like you want to do a little more jiggery pokery than you can at the moment. Doesnt Serato have built in fx? I heard the native instrument one has great built in fx and you can still use your xone mixer. Maybe thats something you could check out.. Or have you thought about switching to become a Live dj whch would cover your jiggery pokery notions as long as you can put up with the stigma attatched to it.

I hope someone who is actually a dj can help you further. :wink:

Mouk

Post by Mouk » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 am

mercyplease wrote: I really wish I could help you firther but your now in the realms out of my depth. I could only explain the logistics of your original query and from what I am reading it sounds like you want to do a little more jiggery pokery than you can at the moment. Doesnt Serato have built in fx? I heard the native instrument one has great built in fx and you can still use your xone mixer. Maybe thats something you could check out.. Or have you thought about switching to become a Live dj whch would cover your jiggery pokery notions as long as you can put up with the stigma attatched to it.

I hope someone who is actually a dj can help you further. :wink:
I don't believe it has effects yet, although they should definitely look into features like that. You might be thinking of Final Scratch. That's the one built on the Native Instruments interface. And as far as djing with Ableton, i'd like to use it as an add on instrument or what not, not strictly an Ableton DJ though. I find I need to play with records and beatmatch and all that, I don't think i'd be happy just using a computer to entertain the crowd.