OT: Macheads! Applecare extended warranty/worth it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
D DAS

OT: Macheads! Applecare extended warranty/worth it?

Post by D DAS » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:37 am

I know this is probably something I should decide myself but for some sick reason I feel better with your honest opinions.

I have had a g3, a g4, and now a g5.

I have never put an extended warranty on my macs but now I have 4 days left to do so and am wondering if I should. Do you think it is worth it? it is an imac g5, one of the 1st ones, and that makes me nervous, what are the odds this thing will cause a big stink in the next two years?

On one hand it can help me if something goes bad, on the other hand before the warranty runs out my computer will be out of date and it will be time to get the new and improved mac ( oh wait, it's already out of date)

just curious, I probally will get it just in case

how many of you put the exteded warranty on?

mercyplease

Post by mercyplease » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:46 am

I wouldnt, but then again you have just gone and tempted fate by telling everyone your fears so probably on the fifth day your Imacs going to blow up.

Insurance is completely based on fear

Ask yourself one question, is your Imac running fine.

You have your answer.

D K

Post by D K » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:53 am

totally worth it if a problem arises.
two of my crew have gotten new logic boards, one an entire new lappy, and i've gotten a free screen replacement.
if the machine in question is not a portable, i could see hesitation,
but personally i think it's worth every penny.
the one screen replacement on my 17" g4 would have cost more than the extra coverage i've paid for on the 3 laptops i've owned.
cheers

inis

Post by inis » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:03 am

I dont personally think it is worth it on a machine that will be sitting at your home. You still have one year and it is most likely that if something is going to happen it will be in the beginning.

I bought a new G5 in january. I took it in this week to get a new logic board. It has been faulty ever since i pulled it out of the box. If i wasnt under warranty it would be almost $1000. Even after all this, im still not going to purchase apple care because as I said, the problem arose eary on. And the chance of something happening further down the road is slim. At least something with that high of a repair cost.

As for laptops that you take around, i cant see a reason not to have it. You will damage the laptop eventually. Its a fact. Accidents happen. Plenty of careful people in the world have had problems, and there is alot more to go wrong with a protable device.

hope that helps.

touched1

Post by touched1 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:26 am

Is that D Das from the Kontakt forums?

I fix these machines for a living, and I would not buy one and not get Applecare.

If you never have to use it, great, wonderful. But god forbid your processor fails mid-project, the replacement from Apple could set you back $1000!!

I just saw an out of warranty iMac G5 come in the shop, the logic board had failed in a peculiar way, but had failed none the less. The logic board replacement exceeded the value of the machine. I felt very bad for the customer.

When you consider that these machine has a realistic life of 3-5 years, why not pay the extra $150 and get the extended warranty?

HD1

Post by HD1 » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:55 am

big time....
bing bing!

Mk

Post by Mk » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:09 am

i bought it for my powerbook, and have never used it in over 2 years... But the piece of mind was worth it at the time, plus I will have a new comp by the end of the year, so I am still happy to know that I'm covered till that occurs...

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:33 am

I highly recommend the the extended warranty. I fear the day mine runs out. This G5 has been an and off the whole time, and it is still not 100%

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:34 am

I highly recommend the the extended warranty. I fear the day mine runs out. This G5 has been an and off the whole time, and it is still not 100%

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:45 am

Here's another vote for getting the Applecare xtended warranty. Like some others have posted, the repairs I've gotten for free on my powerbooks over the years have far exceeded what I paid for the coverage.

But again, laptops are different from desk tops. I also have a g5 that I didn't purchase the warranty for, and it has never had any issues. Maybe that's because it rarely moves. I dunno.

Applecare usually pays for itself if you have even one repair issue.
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

mistermoya

Post by mistermoya » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:46 am

i would highly recommend getting it as well. I've been a Mac user for the past 8 years and I started getting extended warranty's for my flat-panel iMac G4 all the way to my current Powerbook and it's saved me a lot of money on busted logic boards, faulty harddrives, etc.

Bottomline is...you never know what might go wrong. As much as Mac's are pretty stable system-wise, the hardware problems are usually unavoidable.
| Ableton 5.0.3 | 12" 1ghz Powerbook 1.25gb RAM 80gb HDD Mac OSX 10.3.9 | M-Audio Firewire 410 | Oxygen 8 | Korg N364 |

boderekstits

Post by boderekstits » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:22 am

by the way, youi can get the extended warranty whenever. You don't have to get it before your initial warranty runs out. just an fyi.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:25 am

You sure?

I thought you had to get the extra 2 year extended plan sometime during the first year of guarantee.

D DAS

Post by D DAS » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:42 am

"I thought you had to get the extra 2 year extended plan sometime during the first year of guarantee."

i think you do as well.

i am going to get it.

thanks for all your advice.

160 bucks to prevent a lot of brain damage and fustration is worth it.

something tells me this imac is going to act up before I am done with it.

going to get a mac book pro in a year or so, let them work out all the links and let the software catch up.

thanks again for all the input.

aloha

d das

ps: no i am not the d das from the kontact forum. there is a d das in the contact forum? who struck 1st? day dream adventure squad was founded in 2003

mistermoya

Post by mistermoya » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:58 am

You definitely have to get your AppleCare extension during your 1st year of warranty. FYI. Cheers! :)
| Ableton 5.0.3 | 12" 1ghz Powerbook 1.25gb RAM 80gb HDD Mac OSX 10.3.9 | M-Audio Firewire 410 | Oxygen 8 | Korg N364 |