Ableton is great for podcasting, but we need 3 things...

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Dok

Ableton is great for podcasting, but we need 3 things...

Post by Dok » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:10 am

I've being doing podcasting with a lot of different tools, and tried Live for the last 2 episodes using 5.2 beta. Wow, there's nothing like this! If you could put these features, I think you will have a lot of new users buying live!

1) Time: podcasters need to know how long they have been recording, and they need this info in the Session View

2) Pause / resume clips: Podcasters often play audio comments from listeners, and if these are long, they want to pause the clip for making comments and to resume the clip from the point they paused it.

3) Much more contrast in the Clip Display: the stripe indicating current playing position has very low contrast with the waveform. Podcasters need to see where the song they are playing is, when it starts fading out, when they can make a comment without interfering with the groove...

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:45 pm

2) Pause / resume clips: Podcasters often play audio comments from listeners, and if these are long, they want to pause the clip for making comments and to resume the clip from the point they paused it.
not only podcaster want that!!

it's necessary for most spoken word stuff

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:51 pm

Dok-

Good to hear there's another podcaster using Live! Live already has some of the features you're asking for...

1)As far as time goes, you just have to look at the base of the Arrangement waveform screen. Time scrolls by at the bottom; in a similar fashion as walking along a tape measure. I requested a time display back in Version 3 with a quirky post entitled "I want to be able to see time... without LSD". The Abes wrote back and said they were working on it, but it's difficult because of the elasticity role time plays within the program.

2)The clip pause thing... Hmmm... Perhaps you can do a similar sort of thing by scrubbing the playhead in the clip view. It's not a pause button but it could get the job done.

3)If you triggered a song that you had loaded in the Session view, you can see when it is going to end by the 'circular time-out clock thing' for lack of a better term. It's the little circle that looks like a radar display. When it gets to the end of the pie you'll know you're on.

How did you find out about using Live as a podcasting tool?

-Sam
www.livefromthewb.com
(i'm the foreign correspondent on the show)

Dok

Post by Dok » Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:23 pm

1) I know there's this time ruler at the bottom of the arrangement window, but I'd like to have it in the other screen, so I don't have to switch page to read that while performing. LSD would be too much for me too

2) I'll try that!

3) What I need is to be sure where the music is going in term of dynamics in the following seconds. This is useful at the beginning and at the end of a song, if I want to speak over the music. If you listen to my last episode http://media.libsyn.com/media/dok/RockC ... odio40.mp3 you can hear what I mean.
I introduce the first song, then let it start. You hear the drum, then right one beat before the guitar starts the riff I speak: "Guitaaar!" and then the riff kicks in.
This gives a nice touch to the show, but you have to see when the waveform will change in dynamics relatively to the playhead. You can already do that, but the cursor at the playhead is so thin and has so low contrast on the waveform that it's nearly invisible!

I don't know when I tried Live for the first time, but that was for playing guitar and doing music. Some times ago I heard someone, I think that was Michael Butler, saying he was trying to do podcasting on Live. So I gave that a try... and fell in love.

Rock On

Franco

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:06 pm

Who is Michael Butler?

Dok

Post by Dok » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:20 pm

Michael Butler is the host of Rock'n Roll geek show.
http://rockandrollgeek.podshow.com/